• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Access to online Avian vets for a nominal subscription

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 Could you ask your online AV if she is legally allowed to script out medication if warranted for one of your birds? Or would she be ethic bound to just encourage you to “seek care”?

In the human world, sites like these are a very grey area. Prescribing is often not allowed, because those sites don’t count as tele-medicine and are rather “consultation” only. So no doctor-patient relationship is established.
No they are not. I checked with a Dr. Wright. In fact my own vet can’t prescribe for a bird she hasn’t seen before. When she was out I needed meds which the clinic refills but the attending vet said I had to bring the bird in!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think that is pretty universal. At least in the USA. My vet can't prescribe without seeing the bird either - but he sees mine 4 times per year, so no problem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hmmm so I guess what is the online vet for? I can see it being good for if you are debating between going to the vet or not, but trying to think how it would fit practically into the life of someone who doesn't have access to, or can't get to, a vet.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Hmmm so I guess what is the online vet for? I can see it being good for if you are debating between going to the vet or not, but trying to think how it would fit practically into the life of someone who doesn't have access to, or can't get to, a vet.
Yeah, it seems like the 3 things it would be useful for would be:

1. nervous/newbie bird owner to be able to reassure them that, "yes, those birds do sometimes think it's funny to hang upside down just like that, and no, the pet store did not sell you a kiwi-green bat."

2. giving options for things the owner can do for the bird.

3. telling the owner when the situation really warrants doing whatever is possible to get the bird to an avian vet.

As you say, for some people in some circumstances, that last really is out of reach. But, if the vet was empathetic about the situation, they might at least be able to coach the owner through whatever can be done to improve the bird's chances or at least keep it as comfortable as possible.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
3. telling the owner when the situation really warrants doing whatever is possible to get the bird to an avian vet.

As you say, for some people in some circumstances, that last really is out of reach. But, if the vet was empathetic about the situation, they might at least be able to coach the owner through whatever can be done to improve the bird's chances or at least keep it as comfortable as possible.
That may be a lever that can be used around here on the 911 posts we sometimes see from younger members who say their parents won't let them take their bird to see a vet (in a situation where the appraisal is they really should). Perhaps it's useful to have in the toolkit to say, "listen, we really think you should get your bird to a vet, and if you need an expert to convince your parents... here's an option for the low low price of $5 for the first week and $29.95 per month after... cancel any time".

(I know it's not just younger members who are in that situation obviously, but those really pull at my heartstrings)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This is not a good time for me to ask admin if the thread be made into a sticky. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wasn't trying to rain on the parade, I just wanted information so I know how this best fits into my life, if at all. If I still need access to an avian vet for it to be worthwhile, I might as well put the $30/month into my bank account to cover the gas I'm going to need to get there :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She doesn't know yet what she's going to do but she's taking a break while she figures it out.
Last I checked there are no other CAVs in Michigan.
Hopefully she decides to open her own practise. If there´s no others in the area, maybe she could make good money and help the birds that live there.

I know that I can buy some medication over the counter that I can´t in the UK.
The main thing I need a prescription for is Amoxicilin antibiotics, i´ve had those and Jacob my dog too, infacti that´s the only thing I need the presciption for, I´ve bought everything from gonadotropins and progynova to oral steroids and topical steroids... however, Nube obviously didn´t get prescribed huge pills, I needed to get the powder in a bottle that you add water to, and no presciption needed for that type of antibiotic.
So for someone like me who could buy most meds without presciption, maybe it would be good if no vet avail. (depending on the situation) Surely gotta be better than nothing... though it means getting diagnosed without the vet seeing the bird...
Ultimately, it will be a limited service. You won ´t be able to get any blood work, xrays or gram stains done... so I don´t know.
I think it could be helpful for people living in remote areas for the world with zero vet access.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think just being able to ask a qualified, competently trained person a question is of value. So long as the company is up front that no scripts can be given and no diagnostic privileges are inferred, just a qualified professional consult at a low fee is nice. Second opinions of radiological imaging or pathological findings are some of my number one “hey give me your opinion on these” questions that I ask in my own profession. and if I needed to, it’s nice to know I could do the same through that site for my birds.

I could also see this site being very useful for obtaining a professional avian vet’s opinion on new diets/products that are brought to market and perhaps being able to send in photos of poo or the like if one needed to know if an ER visit was needed or could they wait until Monday.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely didn't think there was value in it! Just needed some examples for how I could use it or recommend it :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is not a good time for me to ask admin if the thread be made into a sticky. :(
At this time we won't be adding this service as a sticky :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
At this time we won't be adding this service as a sticky :)
I don’t think it should be recommended on my say so. I have no wish to be excommunicated again. :lol: