• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Access to online Avian vets for a nominal subscription

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So far I’ve consulted with one Avian vet for two questions. Very satisfactory answers.

I’m due to send her bloodwork results for an unresolved problem. I quizzed her about her credentials and years of experience and think I’m sticking with her. There are dozens of avian vets to choose from.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My vet office just decided to stop seeing avians and exotics so I might have to look into this.
My vet is the only one in the clinic who sees birds and has been reducing her hours recently. She’s taken care of my flock since 2004.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My vet office just decided to stop seeing avians and exotics so I might have to look into this.
Oh gee that’s a big change! Wonder what brought that on.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh gee that’s a big change! Wonder what brought that on.
I think cats and dogs are just easier. They only had one exotics vet (double specialized as Avian and Reptile, with extensive small animals experience, truly a gem!). So they let her go and are refocusing. She doesn't know yet what she's going to do but she's taking a break while she figures it out. So right now my closest CAV is over 2 hours.... I was already driving 90 minutes!

Last I checked there are no other CAVs in Michigan.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
My AV has also reduced her hours greatly and it takes 2 weeks to get an appointment. The other AV near by is also very busy and you can't get an appointment until a bit over 2 weeks. When I first got my Tweetie, I called Just Answer because he was just perching and not doing anything. The vet said he was sick and take him back to the store. She said she was an AV. I quickly found this forum and learned that the poor little guy was scared and how to behave around him. I've since learned that he has timid and skittish personality. So my experience with Just Answer was not good. If you find a good AV on Just Answer, would you be allowed to share?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think cats and dogs are just easier. They only had one exotics vet (double specialized as Avian and Reptile, with extensive small animals experience, truly a gem!). So they let her go and are refocusing. She doesn't know yet what she's going to do but she's taking a break while she figures it out. So right now my closest CAV is over 2 hours.... I was already driving 90 minutes!

Last I checked there are no other CAVs in Michigan.
What a bummer!
Most of our AV’s for my state are somewhere in Melbourne which is at least 3hrs one way for me and that’s just the outskirts of Melbourne so it’ll be a longer trip if I do have to see one of them.
I honestly hope the vet I use who is over 2 hrs away doesn’t move unless it’s closer to me lol. The worst part for me is that Burt gets terribly car sick now so he is a total mess by the time we get to the clinic :(

I hope you sort something out that is suitable.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Somewhat related... does anyone have a good list of items to include in a well stocked first aid kit?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have to find the vetricyn spray or get new. Have quikstop and flour metacam baytril amoxicillin milk thistle, oxygen concentrator vet wrap

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Somewhat related... does anyone have a good list of items to include in a well stocked first aid kit?
I know there's a thread around somewhere with some great ideas.. I'll try to find it :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if this service would be feasible for people whose parents won't take their birds to the vet? Is it any cheaper, saroj12?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I wonder if this service would be feasible for people whose parents won't take their birds to the vet? Is it any cheaper, saroj12?
It’s $5 for the first week and 29.95 per month after. Ask 10000001 questions from as many vets . Will need a credit card or PayPal.
cancel anytime

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It’s $5 for the first week and 29.95 per month after. Ask 10000001 questions from as many vets . Will need a credit card or PayPal.
cancel anytime
I am assuming any bloodwork, etc is extra?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sure it is, but it'd be better than the no vet so many minors' pet birds are getting now. At the very least, they could potentially get an online prescription for pain killers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sure it is, but it'd be better than the no vet so many minors' pet birds are getting now. At the very least, they could potentially get an online prescription for pain killers.
I'm not complaining that there are extra costs! I am just trying to understand the process, etc :) $360 a year is a steal.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@saroj12 Could you ask your online AV if she is legally allowed to script out medication if warranted for one of your birds? Or would she be ethic bound to just encourage you to “seek care”?

In the human world, sites like these are a very grey area. Prescribing is often not allowed, because those sites don’t count as tele-medicine and are rather “consultation” only. So no doctor-patient relationship is established.