• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About to have a panic attack

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Holy cow! So I THOUGHT our household was relatively safe for a bird, I've been slowly changing our household stuff/habbits for years in prep for a bird. I don't use teflon pans, burn scented candles, we eat organic and I use all safe non toxic cleaning products in my house, I don't even use fabric softener. But I'm about to bring my little bird home in a few weeks and now after looking at several of these forums I am seriously feeling like my house is a bird death trap!
I have an air fryer I never even thought about, my husband uses a space heater in the basement I have no idea what it's made, I have Reynolds brand aluminum foil I cook with all the time, I use a blow dryer occasionally and I bought some bird toys on amazon that have chains on them and I have no idea what kind of metal the chains are made with. How do you even tell?!?
If there is teflon gas in my house, how long do you have to air it out before your house is safe again?
I honestly had to stop reading because I'm starting to panic. What the heck else am I going to find in my house!?! I don't want my precious little bird to die because I used a curling iron on Sunday!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's okay. Really. Not using Teflon pans or burning candles, incense or using air fresheners are the biggies. I also would perhaps stop using the space heater until you know what it's made out of. Usually you can contact the manufacturer. I use a hair dryer every day. It's okay. As long as the bird isn't locked in the room with you using a hair dryer I think you're fine. I buy toys on amazon too when I'm running low. I just try to buy from well known brands- Bonka Birds, Super Bird Creations, etc. Perhaps I shouldn't but I assume that they're fine because they're reputable brands. Just be careful as some of the toys on Amazon seem to be from foreign sellers and I'm more hesitant to use those. We also have a bunch of great vendors here that you can buy toys from.

Also just be cautious when your bird is out about cords and electrical wires. Tiels seems to have a love of chewing on them. We all can just do our best. Honestly, no matter how hard we try, birds still get into mischief. Don't ask me about the duct tape incident.......... Shudder. Anyway, it will be okay.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Welcome Kestrel..........relax you will do just fine. You've identified the biggies and it sounds like you have common sense and won't ever take chances. I board my birds at least once a year for vacations and that is the only time I use my self cleaning oven. I bought all ceramic non stick cookware and a new ceramic iron, a lot of irons have teflon on the bottom. My air fryer does not have PFTE's or PFOA's. I have managed to find replacements for most teflon and anything that has the PFTE's and PFOA"S in or on it.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I wouldn't use teflon now that I know about it, but when I had my cockatiel I used all teflon pots and pans and fried in them for many years with no harm whatsoever to my parrot who lived to be 19 years. It does give me reason to wonder just how hot they have to be to put enough toxin in the air to cause harm.

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Thank you to everyone, I do feel better after reading your responses. I don't know if you've seen the movie Ice Age 3 but I was seriously beginning to feel like the dad mammoth suddenly seeing danger everywhere and running around putting snowballs on every remotely sharp object in sight to protect the baby LOL
Anyway, as overwhelming as it is I am glad I'm learning this stuff now and not in hind sight. When I was a teenager back in the 90s I had two cockatiels and I bought a book that was supposed to tell you everything one needed to know about keeping them but was far from accurate. One tiel got egg bound and passed away at the vets office. The second one passed away a few years later and I never did know why. It wasn't until years after she died that I learned about the teflon being dangerous or that they should have been eating something more than just the cockatiel seed mix. I felt horrible when I realized that they both probably died as a result of things I did and didn't realize were bad at the time (and I worked for a vet! You would have thought that kind of thing would have been common knowledge!).

So anyway, I just want to make sure I'm educated much better. I want to have this baby for at least the next 20 years. :)
It's funny as much as I'm looking forward to bringing it home it it's equally giving me anxiety too. Very much like having a baby. LOL
I will research the appliances I have currently and I will re-evaluate the toys I bought. They came in a mix pack, not really from any particular brand, though the reviews from previous buyers were good. Nobody saying their birds were poisoned or anything so hopefully they are okay. I didn't realize they sold toys here, I'll definitely check them out too! :)

Thanks again to all!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Welcome to the Avenue! I do believe that the worry you are experiencing is normal as a new soon-to-be bird momma. As the people caring for these cute little beings we want everything to be just perfect for them. I would definitely look into the appliances just to be safe. But you do seem to have the bird's best interest at heart. You said yourself that you've spent a while nd preparing and making sure everything will be safe. You've gotten rid of all of the big dangers so I do believe that your cockatiel will be a happy and healthy bird when he comes into your care. Also please keep in mind the dangers of other pets around your feathered baby. I'm not sure if you have any other pets, but dogs, cats, rats, ferrets, etc. are capable of attacking your little guy. Also it's important that everyone in the house knows not to leave doors and windows open while the bird is out. Clipped wings or not, the bird can still easily make it outside in an instant.

When I was a teenager back in the 90s I had two cockatiels and I bought a book that was supposed to tell you everything one needed to know about keeping them but was far from accurate. One tiel got egg bound and passed away at the vets office. The second one passed away a few years later and I never did know why. It wasn't until years after she died that I learned about the teflon being dangerous or that they should have been eating something more than just the cockatiel seed mix. I felt horrible when I realized that they both probably died as a result of things I did and didn't realize were bad at the time (and I worked for a vet! You would have thought that kind of thing would have been common knowledge!).

I know the pain of losing a feathered friend and feeling you did something wrong. My first bird, Bella (shown in my profile picture), was my best friend when I was younger, however I knew nothing about proper bird care back then. My little girl died really young, and I have felt so guilty ever since. I also never knew the cause of death, but a very young budgie just does not drop dead for no reason at all. Whether it was because I fed her the wrong food or just didn't pay attention to signs of illness, I felt and still feel to this very day that it was my fault. The guilt will never leave me, however, I know because of Bella, I became bird crazy and finally got off my lazy butt and researched proper bird care. Now I am the proud mom of two little budgie boys who are leading much happier and healthier lives. They are now around 7 years old and they have taught me to be more patient and responsible. I just would not be who I am today if it weren't for my Bella. :heart:

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Thank you @SquawksNibbles , I really appreciate that. I never thought of that way before. That losing those birds in a weird way has helped me become a better pet owner too, but it definitely has. Remembering what I have been through with them has made me more dedicated and conscientious and definitely instilled love and appreciation for the breed. They are why I chose a cockatiel again this time around instead of a bigger bird. Remembering and looking at it that way is a good way to sort of honor them when I think about it. :heart:

So I do have one giant dog. He is pretty well trained but my plan at first is just not to have him in the room when the bird is out. Until I am satisfied that he will ignore the bird it will probably be that way. But I have also invested in a Flightsuit for the baby, so once I can get him/her acclimated to wearing it I will feel more comfortable having the dog in the room with the cockatiel teathered to me and I will move forward depending on the dogs interest in the bird.

I plan to keep the cockatiel fully flighted because I feel like it's not only healthier for the bird to be able to get that exercise, but also safer for him/her to be able to get around. That said, flying away is always a concern. I do have kids but I have also ordered a nice big cage (still waiting on it to be delivered) so if people are going to be going in and out I wont feel bad having it enclosed in it. We will schedule times for him/her to be able to fly a couple of times a day every day, other than that again the flightsuit should enable us to spend time together just hanging out in the house without worrying about her flying off even on busy days. Most days though are quiet anyway with the kids in school and I work from home so I'm looking forward to spending lots of time with my new feathered friend.

Well that is the plan in theory. I'm sure there will be things I haven't considered yet and you may see me on here again in a few months with more questions LOL

This is a truly great resource, the community so far has been awesome and very helpful. Thanks again to everyone. :geek: