• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ABBA 5000 (Bean Soaking Mix)

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hi ! I have no experience with soaking or sprouting, so I picked up the ABBA 5000 mix at my local bird speciality store ! the directions are a little unclear and when I tried to google it for any tutorials I couldn't find anything ! I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this? I'm scared I'll mess something up and make my bird sick!

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
There are a few beans that are safe to give parrots when sprouted....adzuki, garbanzo, lentils. Other members, please chime in....I think my memory is failing!! My fids don't care for legumes, so I only have a limited knowledge on the subject.
That said, I get all of my sprouting grains and supplies from sproutpeople.com. They also have tutorials on their website. Basically, you soak the grains in water (and I add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the soak, to reduce bacteria growth) overnight (8-12 hours). Drain and rinse really well. Let your sprouter sit out (not in the sun, just on the counter). Rinse it again before you go to bed. Keep rinsing, morning and night, until they're at the desirable length of root (for grains, usually about 36 hours for me). Then store the sprouter (no water in it) in the fridge. Rinse it again prior to feeding. Only sprout enough for about 3 days (keeps it fresh), if they like it...it's time for a new batch! I've been feeding my fids fresh sprouts for breakfast daily for about 5 years.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
There are a few beans that are safe to give parrots when sprouted....adzuki, garbanzo, lentils. Other members, please chime in....I think my memory is failing!! My fids don't care for legumes, so I only have a limited knowledge on the subject.
That said, I get all of my sprouting grains and supplies from sproutpeople.com. They also have tutorials on their website. Basically, you soak the grains in water (and I add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the soak, to reduce bacteria growth) overnight (8-12 hours). Drain and rinse really well. Let your sprouter sit out (not in the sun, just on the counter). Rinse it again before you go to bed. Keep rinsing, morning and night, until they're at the desirable length of root (for grains, usually about 36 hours for me). Then store the sprouter (no water in it) in the fridge. Rinse it again prior to feeding. Only sprout enough for about 3 days (keeps it fresh), if they like it...it's time for a new batch! I've been feeding my fids fresh sprouts for breakfast daily for about 5 years.
thank you so much !!!! lots of good info !!! would you say to throw out the ABBA 5000 mix then?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If there is nothing wrong with the mix I don’t see a reason to throw it out.
I am not at all familiar with the particular mix you mention, but I’m guessing it will be all sprouts that are fine for birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The mix should tell you what is in it.
@Mizzely have you heard of this mix?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What I found was this:

Kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans, mung beans, brown rice, carrots, green peppers, corn, barley, saflower, milo, millet, yellow peas, hemp, oats,wheat, soybean, celery, spinach,calcium propionate

MIXING and FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS: add 1 part Abba 5000 to 3 parts cold water in a mircrowavable bowl, microwave for 3 minutes on high (1000 watts) allow to cool FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS THEN YOU MUST wash the seed in a coffee strainer under running water. Wash thoroughly….OR you can soak it in water for 36 hours or max for 48 hours and then must rinsed thoroughly. Supply a heeping tablespoon per bird in a clean dish or for best results mix with Abba Green 92 nestling food and feed your birds…they will love it. For best results Abba 5000 should only be feed 2-3 times a week. do not allow soaked seed to spoil in hot humid weather. feed in the morning and remove before the lights go out at night

Kidney beans need to be WELL cooked in order to be safe for consumption. 3 minutes in the microwave will not do it.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
What I found was this:

Kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans, mung beans, brown rice, carrots, green peppers, corn, barley, saflower, milo, millet, yellow peas, hemp, oats,wheat, soybean, celery, spinach,calcium propionate

MIXING and FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS: add 1 part Abba 5000 to 3 parts cold water in a mircrowavable bowl, microwave for 3 minutes on high (1000 watts) allow to cool FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS THEN YOU MUST wash the seed in a coffee strainer under running water. Wash thoroughly….OR you can soak it in water for 36 hours or max for 48 hours and then must rinsed thoroughly. Supply a heeping tablespoon per bird in a clean dish or for best results mix with Abba Green 92 nestling food and feed your birds…they will love it. For best results Abba 5000 should only be feed 2-3 times a week. do not allow soaked seed to spoil in hot humid weather. feed in the morning and remove before the lights go out at night

Kidney beans need to be WELL cooked in order to be safe for consumption. 3 minutes in the microwave will not do it.
what exactly should I do with this then? I've fed kidney beans before cooked in a stainless steel pot boiling with pasta before, should I just cook the mix like that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
what exactly should I do with this then? I've fed kidney beans before cooked in a stainless steel pot boiling with pasta before, should I just cook the mix like that?
They must be boiled for at least 10 minutes, no less. I boil 15 minutes and simmer for 45.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The kidney beans are the issue. As long as you cook those correctly, everything else will be safe tooo... But might be mushy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would just cook it all together on the stove vs trying to hunt and get all the beans out.