• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A "not gonna happen" thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Quite a few months ago, I paired up two of my Cockatiels (for the first time), Rosalie and Emmit, whom decided they would start mating. So, I put them in a separate cage, gave them a nestbox and they were mating often STILL. For a bit, Rosalie was going in and out of the nestbox, but suddenly the problem came where whenever Emmit would sit near, on, or in the nestbox he would guard it, if Rosalie came anywhere near it, he would attack her, making her fall to the bottom of the cage a few times. Rosalie got sick of it, and they both lost interest, so I took them out, and removed the nestbox. I then put Emmit and Rosalie back in the normal cage, and lo and behold, Emmit started mating with Theo - I left them in there together for awhile, then later put them in another cage with a nestbox.. bad idea, YES! Emmit again, started becoming aggressive when he knew there was a nestbox, and of course, started attacking Theo, whom didn′t yet have any interest in the nestbox yet, and didn′t even get the chance. He also gave me quite a few bites while the nestbox was attached to the cage too, both times, when he was paired with Rosalie, and when he was paired with Theo.

I′m really disappointed because I was hoping to pair Emmit up with one of the girls at least! (either Theo or Rosalie) I don′t think it′s possible now since he can′t be near a nestbox without being agressive.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw, I'm sorry that it didn't work out.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
how old is he?

I've had a couple that were like that, One was a 1st time Breeder but was older (over 4 yrs old) second one was just a bit over 2 yrs old and still a 1st time breeder but once they figured out what they were supposed to do all went smoothly

the way i do it even though when none of my tiels are breeding they all live together, But not all of them "bond" or "Choose a mate" and Since we breed for Mutations we're normally the ones choosing who's mating with who (in cases like this it does take a lot longer for anything to happen IF it ever does, it's a lot easier/quicker just to let them choose for their self) but we put the 2 we want to breed in a cage of thier own and NO nest box for at least a month UNLESS they show very strong Breeding rituals, the normal, preening, Feeding Each other, mating, etc. then after a week of those displays we had a nest box. usually all goes smoothly when we do it like that

we have put a pair in a cage attached nest box all in the same day and that caused some issues (nothing Sever) just bickering, not getting along etc. when they never bickered and got along great before hand.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I have no advice since I'm clueless when it comes to breeding birds :dunce:
But I'm sorry it didn't work out!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He is 1 year and 7 months old. (turning 2 years old next year in January)

Maybe I shouldn't put a nest-box up right away, is that correct? I'm just worried that if I put them together, leave them for several months, and then once they show breeding behavior, and I put a nest-box up, Emmit will go back to being aggressive towards whichever hen, when it is there.

I have another hen who's showing breeding behavior at the moment, but the females and males are separated.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
that is a possibility he may always be a "aggressive Breeder" not sure if thats even an actual term but i couldn't think of anything else

but there are ways around it, sometimes, If they mate a lot and you think they've done the "deed" then remove him, add the nest box, and let her do the rest on her own.

but then that isn't a guarantee it'll work either. He may just be a pet and nothing more.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He is a big person-bird, guess that says a lot, lol.

I am thinking about waiting until Spring now, maybe I will have better luck when it is warmer, a bit cold at the moment.

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
Pogo, my male tiel, got really possessive/aggressive with his nest box. He pecked poor Lacey a lot. As soon as the first egg was laid, though, he got so sweet and tender over that egg..still guarding the box, but so much better. And when the babies came, he was a great father. So maybe if they can get past the first possessive part with him things will go better

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pogo, my male tiel, got really possessive/aggressive with his nest box. He pecked poor Lacey a lot. As soon as the first egg was laid, though, he got so sweet and tender over that egg..still guarding the box, but so much better. And when the babies came, he was a great father. So maybe if they can get past the first possessive part with him things will go better
Thank you! that does give me a lot more hope. It could end up being the same, I have just never seen a male get so aggressive over a nest box, agh!

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
And Pogo is a very nice tame, talking bird, too. We found it almost amusing at the tiger he turned into. Poor Lacey...but she stood by her man, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.