• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A New Addition

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Today I went to talk to a breeder about getting a meyer’s parrot, and while I was there I saw this pitiful looking crimson bellied conure. I asked about him and the breeder said that he used to be one of his breeder birds,but that his mate had passed away and he had plucked himself out of grief. I couldn’t just leave him there, so I asked about the price and the breeder just gave him to me. He is predicted to be anywhere from 6 to 10 years old.

He is home now and has been very active so far. He chirps, grinds his beak when he’s sleepy, and has eaten a whole bowl of food.
He apparently was tame in the past, but is not now, so I will have my work cut out for me! I am not going to attempt to handle him until he’s got more feather growth, just because I am scared of him freaking out and hurting himself since he can’t fly.
Anyway, here’s the best picture I could get of the little booger at the moment. He’s a real beauty. If his feathers grow back in properly he will be stunning!

Name suggestions would be very welcome!

Attachments

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Awww. Glad you've got him now!
What feathers are Missing?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today I went to talk to a breeder about getting a meyer’s parrot, and while I was there I saw this pitiful looking crimson bellied conure. I asked about him and the breeder said that he used to be one of his breeder birds,but that his mate had passed away and he had plucked himself out of grief. I couldn’t just leave him there, so I asked about the price and the breeder just gave him to me. He is predicted to be anywhere from 6 to 10 years old.

He is home now and has been very active so far. He chirps, grinds his beak when he’s sleepy, and has eaten a whole bowl of food.
He apparently was tame in the past, but is not now, so I will have my work cut out for me! I am not going to attempt to handle him until he’s got more feather growth, just because I am scared of him freaking out and hurting himself since he can’t fly.
Anyway, here’s the best picture I could get of the little booger at the moment. He’s a real beauty. If his feathers grow back in properly he will be stunning!

Name suggestions would be very welcome!
He's so handsome! With a little TLC I think he'll be willing to trust a human again.
What about Logan,Alec,Red,Dean,Bobby,Chili,Rufus,Simba,Mufasa or I really think Phoenix would be wonderful to show how he's going to raise from the ashes of his sorrows and blossom into a gorgeous Crimson once again :heart:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
lovely fella

you should call him Lucky as he is lucky to have found you.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Awe the poor baby! I'm glad you were able to take him in!

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Awww. Glad you've got him now!
What feathers are Missing?
He is missing his tail feathers and his flight feathers, but he’s got some blood feathers coming in on both areas so I’m hoping they will grow back with no issues!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
He is missing his tail feathers and his flight feathers, but he’s got some blood feathers coming in on both areas so I’m hoping they will grow back with no issues!
Mmm...it's really rare for them to pull tail and flight feathers first . They are really attached and painful to pull. Often even if they pluck their whole body they leave those alone...
Wonder if something happened?
Outside aviary birds can have a predator yank tail ...or sn accident...but both tail and wings,,??? Was he clipped,?

Maybe others have heard of that...but I haven't...not as first feathers pulled

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Mmm...it's really rare for them to pull tail and flight feathers first . They are really attached and painful to pull. Often even if they pluck their whole body they leave those alone...
Wonder if something happened?
Outside aviary birds can have a predator yank tail ...or sn accident...but both tail and wings,,??? Was he clipped,?

Maybe others have heard of that...but I haven't...not as first feathers pulled
He was living in an aviary with several other birds from my understanding. I think you could be right that it might’ve been some kind of accident instead of intentional plucking, since he seems to be letting them grow back in. He was not clipped prior to the feather issue.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
What a cutie :heart:

I love the name phoenix!

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I was able to find out some more information about the little guy. I found his breeder through his band. He is 14 years old, hatched in 2009. What an old man!! He was originally handfed.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw Charlie sounds like a lovely name :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I think I am going to go with the name Charlie, because I decided that he should have a sweet old grandpa name. :)
That is so funny because I swear to you I though Charlie Chaplin when I first saw him but didn’t want to suggest it because it was now where near the names you had suggested! Charlie is perfect!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
The nekkid bum is sad, but so so cute. He is lucky to have made his way to you!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Awww
Thst is a little different than I imagined. I'm afraid there could be a health reason . I recommend getting him in to the vet .

Yes they will keep getting pins and might let some grow a little then pluck out again.

This pattern...I'd want checked out. I'm afraid it's from internal pain.

I'm so glad the little old man is with you! He is a cutie.