• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A little bit about NZ parrots

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
For my 200th post... A lecture on New Zealand parrots.
As you may know, I live in New Zealand. It is home to many weird and wonderful creatures such as the tuatara: Tuatara - Wikipedia and very adorable little fantails: New Zealand fantail - Wikipedia

There are also native parrots to New Zealand. We have the world's only alpine parrot, the Kea.
I have had my experience with these cheeky parrots. When I was little, we went on a trip and stopped for lunch. Then a kea visited our car and chewed the lining of rubber off it! They are extraordinarily smart!
upload_2017-6-11_18-52-34.png
This is what they do...
upload_2017-6-11_19-0-37.png
There's also the Kakapo, one of the cutest parrots EVER!
upload_2017-6-11_18-56-4.png
upload_2017-6-11_18-56-21.png

The last one i'm going to mention is the Kaka:
They are also SUPER smart and I actually haven't seen one of them before!
upload_2017-6-11_18-58-27.png

upload_2017-6-11_18-58-53.png

If you want to read more about them: Parrots of New Zealand - Wikipedia

Here is a few extra photos of some of the cool birds in New Zealand (which are commonly found in my backyard and around the place):

This is a native wood pigeon called the kereru (one of my many favourites):
upload_2017-6-11_19-3-49.png
upload_2017-6-11_19-4-7.png

The native bird called the Tui (these things have incredible vocals):
upload_2017-6-11_19-4-48.png

Also a fantail:
upload_2017-6-11_19-7-1.png

And a not so native king fisher:
upload_2017-6-11_19-7-42.png

Anyway, thanks for reading! :hehe:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
A publication I did for my bachelor's was on the tuatara years ago :)

It would be neat to see parrots as part of natural native wildlife (not an invasive species) but at least squirrels can be entertaining.
:hehe:

Harleyandme

A publication I did for my bachelor's was on the tuatara years ago :)

It would be neat to see parrots as part of natural native wildlife (not an invasive species) but at least squirrels can be entertaining.
:hehe:
We don't have squirrels here! Sounds like an interesting publication :laugh:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love them all! New Zealand seems like such a magical place. I can see why the kereru is one of your favorites, and you can almost see the intelligence in the kaka's eyes. Great photos!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Thanks for sharing..........such beautiful and unusual birds. That bottom pic of the Kakapo almost looks owl like. I've never seen a pigeon with that coloring. Almost looks like Mallard Duck coloring. I hope I get to visit new Zealand someday........AND Australia!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Enjoyed the photos and the info. Thanks so much for sharing.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Yeah we often have Tuis and wood pigeons visit out tree in the garden, lots of tasty berries :)

Oh and just a hint if anyone is planning on visiting to see the wildlife go to Great Barrier Island, Kakas are EVERYWHERE.
A few years ago my family took a holiday there and it was PARADISE :laugh:
We used to leave out fruit for them and they would come land on the balcony!
They also have a lot of Tuis and bellbirds.

Yes Kakapos are amazing, eh?
They are the heaviest parrot in the world! And they can't fly, which is part of the reason they are so endangered.
Them rats are nasty.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you're anywhere near Wellington, you should take a trip over to the Wairarapas and visit Pukaha Mount Bruce wildlife centre. You'll see all the Kākā you could ever want. My partner took me to stay near Greymouth for a few days for my birthday last year and took me there. It's not huge, but we easily spent hours there just looking at all the birds.

Harleyandme

If you're anywhere near Wellington, you should take a trip over to the Wairarapas and visit Pukaha Mount Bruce wildlife centre. You'll see all the Kākā you could ever want. My partner took me to stay near Greymouth for a few days for my birthday last year and took me there. It's not huge, but we easily spent hours there just looking at all the birds.
Funny that, I have relatives in Napier, so we're always road tripping past there and I don't remember going to a place like that :huh:. Will bring it up next time we go up. I've been to Owlcatraz and The Parrot place when I was younger though :heart:

Harleyandme

I love them all! New Zealand seems like such a magical place. I can see why the kereru is one of your favorites, and you can almost see the intelligence in the kaka's eyes. Great photos!
Yes, Kererus are so beautiful and sometimes they land right on our balcony, they're so big! Here is a photo I got from the internet to see the size comparison. You can tell when kererus are near your house because all you hear is a big FLAP FLAP FLAP past the window :lol:

upload_2017-6-12_10-20-40.png

Harleyandme

Yeah we often have Tuis and wood pigeons visit out tree in the garden, lots of tasty berries :)
Us too, except a kereru is a rare visitor. Tuis are very common along with starlings, blackbirds, fantails, sparrows plus a few kingfishers and bellbirds.

Harleyandme

Thanks for sharing..........such beautiful and unusual birds. That bottom pic of the Kakapo almost looks owl like. I've never seen a pigeon with that coloring. Almost looks like Mallard Duck coloring. I hope I get to visit new Zealand someday........AND Australia!
Australia is beautiful! Yes, quite a few birds in NZ have that sort of purple-blue-green tone to them, like Tuis do. This is a close up photo of a tui and it's colours:

upload_2017-6-12_10-29-27.png

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, Woof Woof has such an amazing voice!