• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 y/o CAG plucking

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
My friend's 4 y/o CAG is plucking. He had never plucked until this summer. She has tried a variety of homeopathic remedies recommended earlier. He had slowly stopped for a few days but is now back at it and plucking more. She has made an appointment with an avian vet to rule out medical causes. What should she make sure the vet considers as medical tests?
thank you

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I would have them to pull a few feathers from the affected area to check for a fungal infection as well.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I passed the info along and am trying to find past threads on the topic. seems like in the last few months there was quite a bit of discussion about medical reasons for plucking but I can't find the thread...
I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she needs to go the collar route, I highly recommend a fleece one. As someone who's had two pluckers now (adopted that way), I personally think it's better to intervene earlier with a collar/cone than to risk the behavior progressing to serious wounds. Of course, it's a very individualized situation.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
is the fleece safe? wouldn't want him to get fibers stuck in his crop.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The ones I use (from birdsupplies.com) are supposed to be made for the bird to chew on them, from bird-safe materials. The rescue I work with uses them on larger birds, including cockatoos, without issue. That being said, your friend would of course need to monitor that to some degree. It's a cost/benefit balance -- is the small risk of consuming non-food materials worthwhile to stop the bird from plucking? Only your friend can judge that.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@enigma731 thank you, very helpful. if she wants to go the collar route, I will send her to that website. I am hoping it is something simple and medical...fungal infection... will see what the doc says. sent her all the test info.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even if it is, it's possible behavior change steps will need to be taken to break the cycle. For example, my recently adopted girl used to mutilate from bad conditions, but now picks only at spots that itch because of scarring. I hope it's simple in your friend's case.