• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 4 mth old greenwing...HELP!!!!

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Hello there...okay so here's the facts...
We just got a new baby greenwing macaw that will be 4 months on the 7th of dec. He had just been weaned a few days before we picked him up about a week ago. When we brought him home all iwas well till about a day ago when I started to see his uretes a greenish color. I do have photos of my baby and of his green poop. It's not his actual feces that's green it's the liquid that's green. Also I can feel his breast bone. We keep his bowl full of pellets, and he also gets his fruits and veggies. I'm very worried about him. Please if anyone can give us some advice were listening...
Thanks

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Go to an avian vet. This could be a liver or kidney issue. He's also young to be fully weaned.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I recommend you return him to the breeder. He needs more time to wean and may need a stool culture done. He may have loose stools due to dehydration as he may not be getting enough nourishment.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I was also thinking dehydration due to being forced to wean too early.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I thought he was to young to he weaned also. Returning him is out of the question. He wasn't hand feeding him so i don't think returning him would do any good. His attitude and playfullness is all the same. I actually just got off the phone with the breeder and he said he sees it all the time and that it's from the dyes in his food... I'm bot sure what's really going on but I'm going to be taking him to the vet as soon as possible. Everything is snowed out here today. Anyway he's acting normal and playing also he's eating good and all I'm just worried...

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
He may have been weaned from food at the breeder but when stressed many will regress back to wanting handfeeding which is ok to do. Share meal time with him (just present when he eats)

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Yes I think your spot on. I Think he's wanting te handfeeding again. He's eats better when were there or giving it to him by hand. Weeds going to try this but also still take him to the vet when he opens. Tha is for all the advice:)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
GWs are notorious for weaning late. My Jasper didn't wean until she was 8 mo old and even then she wanted comfort feedings quite often. She's almost 21 now and she still gets a comfort feeding from a syringe now and then.

I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. Green urine or green urates (the white part) are not good and like Roxynoodle said could indicate a liver issue or a number of other problems. Do you know what the breeder was feeding him? Hope you aren't feeding the colored pellets now.

Has he fledged? Babies will drop weight just before they decide to fly. Feeling his keel bone is not a bad thing. If you couldn't feel it, he would be way too fat. It's when the keel bone protrudes like a keel, is when they are too thin. I strongly recommend that you buy a scale and weigh your boy every morning before his breakfast and after TBHMP (the big humongous morning poop). It's important to become familiar with your bird's norms.

My suggestion is that you write a list of questions to ask the vet when you see him. Sometimes we are so nervous on the baby's first visit that we draw a blank.

No one spends more time staring at poop than we parrot owners - so here's some help for you to know what you are looking at;
Poopology - Identify Bird Health Problems through their Droppings

And this is just a good place to spend some time browsing if you have a question about health and/or if you are a new bird owner;
Healthy Highway | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Hello Hank your advice is excellent and much appreciated...okay so it's not the urates as I thought, it's his urine the actual liquid has a hint of green. he has fledged and can fly, but the breeder really did a hack job on his flight feathers... I'll have to post pic...it's bad...all we can do is wait for them to come back :( I read somewhere about the breast bone being felt meant their skinny and sick, so what you said makes me feel much better! He's an active baby loves to play and he's eating well. But I will be deff taking him to the vet and most likely starting up some hand feedings again. I also thought he was a bit young to wean but the breeder assured me that he wasn't forced to wean and that he believes he weaned early because he was "competing" for food with his other 2 siblings that are the same age. They also weaned at the same age as my Monté. We love him to death, he's already a part of the family. Even tho he's only been here a week I can't imagine life without his little feathered butt :)

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I still have a pie pumpkin from thanksgiving I'll bake for him :)
Really Guys thanks for all the excellent tips this is our fist feathered baby...my husband inherited his granny's umbrella too who absoulty hated me lol but he lived to 63 bless his heart. So this is our first young bird it's like I'm a new mommy again lol

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sory to hear he's under the weather!!
My Bridgette doesn't take well to pellets, so if she eats only pellets for a short while, she'll get green urine that goes away as soon as she eats seeds.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If the urine is green tinged that could be color that leached off the feces part.

I would still get a checkup from a vet ASAP though.

You may also need to pick up some handfeeding formula due to his young age. The vet can show you how to feed. Macaws can be little boogers to feed from what I've read. Best wishes :)

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a pretty birdy!! Its beak is gorgeous!