• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 4 mth old greenwing...HELP!!!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had a feeling it wa the fruity stuff. :D

My guess it that your breeder fed zupreem embrace plus formula, that is what I use. The best mushy pellets are zupreem naturals and if he was eating embrace it will be an easy switch for him. I would buy a bag of zupreem natural pellets and make smushy pellets with those. :p He should gobble them right up with ease. The fruity colored pellets have a way of making your poops hard to read and he is young, best to get him on something without all the sugar and dye right off the get go. Slowly switch him over but he should have no problems with it. They soak up the water better than the fruity.

Keep us updated, he has been on my mind the last few days. Give him a extra scritch from WI. :xflove:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Don't ignore handfeeding though. Night time feeding is usually the last to go but if he is eating you won't need it. Next, in the morning if he is not eating give a small amount of formula. A hungry bird does not think about anything until he can eat. A small amount of food satisfies the hunger and he can go on his own then

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all of yalls concern and and excellent ideas. I will most definitely start to slowly switch his food over to the non colored stuff, what do you recommend? Zupreem Veggiblend? He taking the pellets in hot water great, I couldn't be happier about it :)

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Baby food mixed with oatmeal slightly warmed and ed with a spoon would probably get him eating. I would feed him often if you can feel his breastbone. Hope the vet visit is soon.

Hang in there little guy, mom sounds like she is ready to do what needs to be done.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Thanks for all of yalls concern and and excellent ideas. I will most definitely start to slowly switch his food over to the non colored stuff, what do you recommend? Zupreem Veggiblend? He taking the pellets in hot water great, I couldn't be happier about it :)
I would switch to Harrisons High Potency. Much better quality.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
okay here's an update, so i got my hands on a 10 ml syringe and tried to hand feed but Monte wanted no part in it at all! i almost felt like i was traumatizing him :( so needless to say i just decided to try his zupreem pellets in some hot water to soften them up, he ate it all and now has a full crop. So I think Im just going to stick with the mushy pellets and his veggies, fruits, and protein rather than the syringe feeding. any opinions?

also his poop was HUGE this morning :D :D
I was just going to suggest soaking the Zupreem pellets. I use the Zupreem Natural, and soak them in hot water until they are soft and spongy. I drain off the hot water and serve them warm. I give this to all my birds everyday for breakfast, have been doing it for years...they all love it! It also really works great for young birds, sick birds, etc.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

There are many different pellets available. Do your research when you are going to switch. I suggested the zupreem naturals as they are very close to what he is eating now and they soak up the water for smushy pellets the best. I feed zupreem naturals, harrisons, and tops to my flock. Tops and harrisons do not soak well and you won't get harrisons pellets through a syringe with soaking alone. ;) I've tried. :laugh:
Large Parrot Natural Bird Food Pellet Diet - Zupreem 3lb Bag
His poops looking bigger and better yet today?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
You could maybe try the Harrison's mash through a syringe if you want him to get used to the taste of Harrison's. They do also make a critical care/recovery formula that definitely will go through a syringe.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
hello everyone..! Okay so this morning I tried the mushy pellets and he was not having it. So I tried some oatmeal blended with pumpkin and warmed and hes took it right down. I have figured out that he wants to be syringe fed in the AM but every time after that he doesn't want it, he wants the pellets. I think were going to try a new food like everyone sugested and slowly mix it into the what hes eating now. Took me awhile to figure this guy out but i think were finally getting somewhere lol. He is eating well when hes fed and I ensure his crop is full after a feeding. Also we have noticed a HUGE change in his personality from being hand fed the pellets compared to when i just gave him the pellets by themselves. He's so much more playful and rowdy. Maybe were all just getting used to each other too, hes just been here a little over a week now. His poo is looking great, it's consistent and is looking normal. I also made a vet appt for Wed. (the first time they had)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Try a plastic measuring spoon. I started changing my GW from a syringe to a spoon, when he was about your birds age. I was terrified of aspirating him, and knew a spoon was safer. I used a plastic measuring tablespoon. I had one that was deep with a nice curve. It worked perfect! It took a few times for him to get the idea, but it went smoothly (and messily) after he caught on. I was also so relieved to not have to worry constantly about that aspiration problem.

You're doing wonderfully with your baby. You should be proud of yourself!

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear your sweety is improving!! I recommend Roudybush for pellets.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
hi everyone for keeping me positive because this hand feeding thing is stressing us all out here. Monte absolutely hates the syringe!!!! We continue to go back and forth, one time hes okay with it the next hes not. I don't think I'm going to use the syringe anymore for feeding because I don't want to aspirate the poor guy like you said Macawpower. I will try the measuring spoon I have some just like you described and talk about messy JEEZ!! Also when he gets it anywhere on his beak he goes crazy trying to rub it on walls, chairs, ANYTHING he ca n find, he's loco! :piratenbird:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Don't let it stress you. He can feel that. All you can do is offer the food. Show him the syringe and if he looks uninterested show him the spoon. If he turns away at the spoon, offer smushy pellets. If he is not hungry, offer food a few hours later. He will eat when he is hungry, don't make a huge deal about it with him. I know that is easier said than done but take a breath.

High on your list is a scale. We can't tell you anything about how well he is eating without some weights. Keep postive.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
yeah i feel bad sometimes when he just doesnt want anything to eat and his crop is totally empty. I feel like he HAS to eat and if he doesnt he''ll die :( It's like my first kid where your all paranoid about EVERYTHING. I'm going to walmart today to get a scale. How much would you say he should weight right now?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Every bird is different. Some macaws are very large for the species and some small. The goal will be to get his weight and maintain or improve it. I'm guessing your bird is under 1000 grams but pictures are very deceiving.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Why would there be dye in the food? What's the point in that then it's not natural and heathy for birds, I think the breeder is a nut job. You would think the breeder would give them a good nutrition with high protein, formula they need to be feed every 2-3 hours with a big full crop.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
Hey y'all sorry I haven't had the chance to get back to everyone. So we took Monte to the vet a few days back and he weighed in in at 1100g the vet also gave him a clean bill of health. He did a fecal something and also a swab in his mouth but all came out good. So thankfully this was just me being an new paranoid parront but everything turned out well with him. He's not taking any syringe feedings but we do feed him the mushy pellets and he's doing well and becoming a little devious thing like eating the caulk from the bottom of the windows lol way worse than my 2 year old boy!! Thanks for everyones help and advice again, We will be members forever!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Good news. Take care and welcome.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
I think there is something else the vet is missing, doesn't seem right. I had a Hanhs macaw and she was wheezing and coughing, she still ate, played with her toys and drank her water. Acted completely normal. We too her to the vet, got her x-rayed. They told us she had cancer in her lungs or assists. We brought her home as well as the medicine they gave us she ended up dying a day later after she passed as she took her last breath of what she could. We noticed that there was a piece of speggetti noodle stuck in her throat. Wasn't there last time we looked I guess it finally came out from her trying to cough. We where soo up set that the doctor told us it was cancer because they didn't know what the things where. The gave is the doctor who knows about birds but not as much. I was there was at lest one avian vet in each town.