• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 y/o Quaker parrot feather plucking is getting worse

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
Hi, about a month ago I noticed my 1 y/o quaker plucking feathers. By april 29th, all his green back feathers were plucked.

I did research on how to stop it and what causes it. Some people here told me that since he's so young, I can rule out medical causes, and so, I focused on behavioural causes instead.

My first move on stopping this was letting him have a more natural sleeping schedule so I moved his cage near the window so that he sleeps when the sun goes down and wakes up when the sun rises. Another benefit of this was that he could look outside when he's bored. My house has no sun, and since in canada it was still cold in april, I couldn't take him out to sunbathe so this might've made it worse.

My next step was giving him different mixes of vegetables everyday instead of repeating the same veggie salad the next day like I always did. He loved this from what I can tell. I also let him watch me make the food and try the food while I was chopping it up. His mixes also include a spoon of millet, 3-5 sunflower seeds and some pellets. I also began mixing a small pinch of calcium clay in the mix, I still haven't seen results.

Next up, I now spend more time with him. A lot more time than I did before. I also began to give him different toys for him to try and more foraging and foot toys.

For a week, he slowed down and just preened the feathers that were growing. I saw no new plucked feathers in his cage, and he seemed to be more focused on preening than plucking, which I was extremely happy about.

Now, here comes the horrible part.

My birds cages are near a guest room, and my uncle came over to our house to stay for "5" days. My uncle is sensitive to sound, but he had nowhere else to go so he used our guest room. Originally, he said he would stay for 5 days but it looks like he'll be staying for longer since its been about 3 weeks already. He knows about my birds plucking and that he's healing. He knows I'm letting him sleep naturally and that he will be waking up at 7, and any noise will cause him to scream. But my uncle still decides to sleep late, then begins to complain about how my bird screams.

So last night, while we were all sleeping, my uncle closes the curtains, covered the birds then went to sleep. When I went down, I was shocked, heart broken and felt betrayed.

I took the cover off and almost cried. Feathers were everywhere. He plucked the whole morning. Now it's worth noting I wake up at 1pm, finish my morning routine then go down to check on the birds and make them their meals. So he had from 7 am, when the sun rises and he wakes, to 1 pm to pluck as much as he wants. The cover was white, so light can seep through from the window, he had nothing to look at and instead focused on his feathers. When I took him out to inspect him I cried. ALL HIS LEG FEATHERS WERE GONE. This is the first time in almost 2 weeks since i've seen him pluck like this.
Throughout the day, he kept plucking. Everytime he turns to preen, he plucks instead.

As furious as I am with my uncle, I am equally furious with myself for not noticing the signs of him plucking from the start.

The worst part is that he screams each time he plucks, and it kills me inside. I can't tell him to stop plucking when he does because he will think I'm giving him attention for it and will keep doing it, and that hurts me so much. He's only a baby. He has a long life ahead of him, 30 years. I will be 44 by then, and I want to be there with him for the rest of his life.

I'm only 14, and this has all been stressful but I'm determined to make him feel better. I know birds aren't toys, I have done research from way before I got him and still research to this day. I feed him pellets and fruits, I give him toys and care for him like he's my own child. He's my responsibility and I know that, because I asked for him, I got him, and now, I've done something wrong and I don't know how to fix it. My next best option is giving him to a better home, but I don't know who to trust, because if I give him away, then I will want to know how he's doing, I will want updates and I will want to check on him as often as possible and I will have to know 100% that he will NOT be used for breeding. So I'm throwing the idea of giving him away out the window.

Lastly, I wanted to add that he plucked a blood feather from his back. When he plucked it he let out the worst scream I've ever heard. This all happened on may 17 2020, which was yesterday.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me. If you know what I should change, or if you have any food recipes that quakers enjoy, toy ideas, or anything else really, please tell me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Since he's so young, medical would be my FIRST guess. Young birds don't usually have the behavioral issues that play a part in plucking. I would get your bird seen by an Avian vet before doing anything else.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just went back to your old post. What I said then was "Since he's so young, I would rule out medical first. It's uncommon For baby birds to pluck."

What that means is to check medical reasons for plucking first. Not that you can dismiss medical reasons.

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
I just went back to your old post. What I said then was "Since he's so young, I would rule out medical first. It's uncommon For baby birds to pluck."

What that means is to check medical reasons for plucking first. Not that you can dismiss medical reasons.
My bad, how do I check for that?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can your bird be moved to your bedroom perhaps to stop others from covering the bird during the normal hours that he should be awake? Can he sit by your bedroom window?
The thought of healthy people sleeping past 7am regularly is kinda foreign to me so I’m having a real hard time understanding the need to cover the bird and I’m having a hard time not being annoyed at your uncle for doing this to you and your bird..... if it was screaming, chirping and being a healthy happy bird at midnight that might be a little different expecting someone to get used to that behaviour. I kind of don’t understand the situation or hours you say you get up either but that’s the irrelevant really I guess- the main thing is being able to get to an avian vet to have health problems ruled out as the cause.
I am really sorry you’re experiencing this and I sincerely hope you can sort something out to settle the plucking down.

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
You take them to the vet so they can run tests.
I'll have to ask my parents about that. It's hard to go out now because of the lockdown and my parents are both in danger from the virus as they already have their own illnesses so we try to really limit how much we go outside. I'm sure we might find a way somehow, but it's up to my parents now.

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
Can your bird be moved to your bedroom perhaps to stop others from covering the bird during the normal hours that he should be awake? Can he sit by your bedroom window?
The thought of healthy people sleeping past 7am regularly is kinda foreign to me so I’m having a real hard time understanding the need to cover the bird and I’m having a hard time not being annoyed at your uncle for doing this to you and your bird..... if it was screaming, chirping and being a healthy happy bird at midnight that might be a little different expecting someone to get used to that behaviour. I kind of don’t understand the situation or hours you say you get up either but that’s the irrelevant really I guess- the main thing is being able to get to an avian vet to have health problems ruled out as the cause.
I am really sorry you’re experiencing this and I sincerely hope you can sort something out to settle the plucking down.
Will my bird still yell when I move him to my room? Also, my parents say that there are health risks with bringing him into my room, is that true? I've already considered this before though, but my parents said no. I will ask them again though incase they change their mind. I'm also thinking of moving into the guest room when my uncle leaves, but that might not be possible because he already asked us to put a couch in his room. He might stay permanently :/

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are some health risks especially if you do not keep the cage clean.
They will make noise most likely in any room they are in.
I am thinking that if he is in your room then hopefully your uncle wont hear him as well.

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
There are some health risks especially if you do not keep the cage clean.
They will make noise most likely in any room they are in.
I am thinking that if he is in your room then hopefully your uncle wont hear him as well.
Thank you for helping me out, I really appreciate it. Thank you @Mizzely too. You guys are really kind :)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He could have an infection and is plucking because he's sick or uncomfortable by it. He needs to be seen by an avian vet asap.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you can get him into see a vet. Is he in a room by himself then? He probably would enjoy being where people are. I keep my birds in the living room during the day and then move them into a quiet room for bedtime.

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
I hope you can get him into see a vet. Is he in a room by himself then? He probably would enjoy being where people are. I keep my birds in the living room during the day and then move them into a quiet room for bedtime.
He is in a room with my budgie. My parents don't like their chirping in the morning so I had to make them a separate area, but I'm with them most of the time.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'll have to ask my parents about that. It's hard to go out now because of the lockdown and my parents are both in danger from the virus as they already have their own illnesses so we try to really limit how much we go outside. I'm sure we might find a way somehow, but it's up to my parents now.
Many vets offices meet you curbside and bring your bird in for vetting.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Do you hear the birds in the morning since you sleep in until one if not switch rooms with your uncle and that might help some but I agree that you need to see a vet as soon as possible

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I did research on how to stop it and what causes it. Some people here told me that since he's so young, I can rule out medical causes, and so, I focused on behavioural causes instead.
Who ever told you that is absolutely wrong. No matter what nor how old or young a bird, a vet visit to find out if there are physical issue IS THE VERY FIRST STEP in plucking cases.

Now it's worth noting I wake up at 1pm, finish my morning routine then go down to check on the birds and make them their meals.
So that means your bird is alone from when he gets up at sunrise until 1pm. No food, no company, no fresh water. You can change your habits, if you care about your bird.

This is one of the most important reasons I hate seeing people as young as you getting a bird. You are dependent on your parents and so is your bird and your bird did not ask for this.

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
So that means your bird is alone from when he gets up at sunrise until 1pm. No food, no company, no fresh water. You can change your habits, if you care about your bird.

This is one of the most important reasons I hate seeing people as young as you getting a bird. You are dependent on your parents and so is your bird and your bird did not ask for this.
In all honesty no one is helping me take care of him or my budgie. Of course, my parents pay for some of the food and toys, but that's it. I'm in this alone and I'm fixing my habits of waking up so that I can be there to put food for them as early as I can, and the worst part of this? My dad isn't letting me take him to a vet. I don't know why, but it's probably because he's really scared. Still not a valid excuse, but I can't pay for the visits alone, and I'm worried sick for him. Today he seems to have slowed down a bit, not as bad as yesterday, but I really want a vet to check him.

• Sad
Reactions: tka

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If he does have an infection, it won't go away without veterinary care. Is there any way you can somehow convince your parents that there's a strong possibility that he's plucking out of discomfort from an infection? I know you're worried about him, but he could be suffering needlessly.
Any other family members or perhaps family friends that would be willing to drive you curbside to your bird's vet? Can your parents honestly look at your plucked bird and ignore the fact that something is wrong here?

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
If he does have an infection, it won't go away without veterinary care. Is there any way you can somehow convince your parents that there's a strong possibility that he's plucking out of discomfort from an infection? I know you're worried about him, but he could be suffering needlessly.
Any other family members or perhaps family friends that would be willing to drive you curbside to your bird's vet? Can your parents honestly look at your plucked bird and ignore the fact that something is wrong here?
My mom is sad about it too, she even considered it but she's not willing to take the risk. My dad even said that it's too expensive to get the tests done, so if someone does take me, who will pay? Sure they bought him, but they're not willing to pay for more than he's worth.

Last edited: