• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 y/o Quaker parrot feather plucking is getting worse

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If your guy is struggling and your family isn't able to pay for his care, then perhaps you need to consider looking into finding him another home. I'm not saying this to be insensitive as I can see you really care for this guy. But he needs a higher level of care right now in order to feel better. You and your family owe that to him in whatever manner it can be achieved. Can you offer to do free chores for them in exchange for his getting his health needs met?

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
If your guy is struggling and your family isn't able to pay for his care, then perhaps you need to consider looking into finding him another home. I'm not saying this to be insensitive as I can see you really care for this guy. But he needs a higher level of care right now in order to feel better. You and your family owe that to him in whatever manner it can be achieved. Can you offer to do free chores for them in exchange for his getting his health needs met?
I understand what you mean, my parents said I can do extra chores and they will pay me, and when I reach half way through my goal they can pay the rest. Thank you all for your help :D

oscarsmom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Marianne
It sounds to me that you were making progress before your uncle came over. If you can get him into your room you will still have to get up early to feed him and clean the cage. My bird loves to eat in the morning. Don’t forget they went all night without eating. They need a healthy breakfast.

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
but they're not willing to pay for more than he's worth.
This made me frown :(.

I feel for your situation and you obviously want what is best for your bird. You are young.. You are probably more responsible than I was at your age. But to be completely honest and blunt this is why parents shouldnt buy their kids animals that they are not willing to take on themselves.. Because lets face it, kids are broke (and their interests change)... Hell, My sisters and I all got pet rabbits at one point when we were kids.... My mom had to take care of those dang rabbits for over a decade.

It sounds like you are doing all you can do. Do you have anything of value you could sell? Depending on the financial situation your family is in right now (times are tough for a lot of us) showing them you are willing to give up something you love may give them a nudge.

edit: you HAVE to get up earlier.. I get it. and my daughter is sleeping too late right now also... but she has me to get the birds up, cut veggies etc at6:30 am. Sounds like you dont have that luxury. Waking up at 1 pm you are literally missing half their day..

Last edited:

BudgieQuaker

Meeting neighbors
This made me frown :(.

I feel for your situation and you obviously want what is best for your bird. You are young.. You are probably more responsible than I was at your age. But to be completely honest and blunt this is why parents shouldnt buy their kids animals that they are not willing to take on themselves.. Because lets face it, kids are broke (and their interests change)... Hell, My sisters and I all got pet rabbits at one point when we were kids.... My mom had to take care of those dang rabbits for over a decade.

It sounds like you are doing all you can do. Do you have anything of value you could sell? Depending on the financial situation your family is in right now (times are tough for a lot of us) showing them you are willing to give up something you love may give them a nudge.

edit: you HAVE to get up earlier.. I get it. and my daughter is sleeping too late right now also... but she has me to get the birds up, cut veggies etc at6:30 am. Sounds like you dont have that luxury. Waking up at 1 pm you are literally missing half their day..
Hello and thank you for your advice. I've started to wake up at 10 am and slowly progressing to waking up at 7 am. My parents are also letting me do extra chores for money to get my bird checked. Selling things sounds good too, I didn't think of that at all! Thank you so much for your help :)