• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 day old lovebird and would love advice! (sad update #141 + #183)

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
With newly hatched chicks, you can see the yolk in their belly (not the crop, look lower down), you can actually see the colour. When it is gone, you can feed. Do not feed before the yolk is fully absorbed.
I'm assuming like a yellow color?

VERY IMPORTANT!
Do not give these birds the same formula. They were hatched on different days, and require different ratios of formula. You will have to feed one at a time. Start with the youngest.
When they hit the week mark, they can eat the same formula from the same bowl.
Can they use the same syringe? Or should I get a different one?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
As from what I read on a recent thread, no. The syringe can carry bacteria and germs from one bird's mouth to the others' and can spread diseases.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I use the same syringe within the same clutch.
(Breeders with multiple clutches need to use different syringes for each clutch)

The syringe can carry bacteria and germs from one bird's mouth to the others' and can spread diseases.
And do you know what baby birds in the brooder do? They try to eat from their siblings beaks. If one´s sick, they´re all sick.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
With newly hatched chicks, you can see the yolk in their belly (not the crop, look lower down), you can actually see the colour. When it is gone, you can feed. Do not feed before the yolk is fully absorbed.
IMG_4139.jpeg

This is the younger chick...to feed now or wait?

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I use the same syringe within the same clutch.
(Breeders with multiple clutches need to use different syringes for each clutch)

And do you know what baby birds in the brooder do? They try to eat from their siblings beaks. If one´s sick, they´re all sick.
Okay thanks! And yes, that was what I was thinking...I was already strugging to mentally find another syringe at this hour lol

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looks good to feed. Remember to prep formula 1:6 for this one.

I was already strugging to mentally find another syringe at this hour
You have to prep different formula for each bird, so the syringe will be cleaned between feeds at the moment. When they are older and share the same formula, they will be fine with the same syringe.

Go to the chemist in the morning and buy yourself a spare though. I´ve broken syringes in the night, or had them stop pulling up properly. (I live across from a 24/7 chemist though, so can buy it and be home in under a minute - if not, I would have had big problems).

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Looks good to feed. Remember to prep formula 1:6 for this one.

You have to prep different formula for each bird, so the syringe will be cleaned between feeds at the moment. When they are older and share the same formula, they will be fine with the same syringe.

Go to the chemist in the morning and buy yourself a spare though. I´ve broken syringes in the night, or had them stop pulling up properly. (I live across from a 24/7 chemist though, so can buy it and be home in under a minute - if not, I would have had big problems).
Thank you! Yeah, I'm gonna get another syringe as a back up.

I decided to name the second one Valentine since it's February lol I'm happy the first chick has someone to talk to now. I've been playing music/bird sounds for it the past 1.5-2 days.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
nice name :)

Just be sure that, although it´s very time consuming and wasteful, that you are preparing the food for each bird, washing the equipment, then preparing new formula for the second. I highly recommend a whiteboard/notebook/calendar and map out what ratio they are eating, make note of when they are eating, how much.
Even that, yes it´s added work, especially during the night, but it will help you in the end I promise. When you are tired, you can always rely on your own notes to know what you have and haven´t done.

This feeding schedule is quite full on right now, but it will get easier after a week has passed and they are on the same ratio formula.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Just be sure that, although it´s very time consuming and wasteful, that you are preparing the food for each bird, washing the equipment, then preparing new formula for the second. I highly recommend a whiteboard/notebook/calendar and map out what ratio they are eating, make note of when they are eating, how much.
Even that, yes it´s added work, especially during the night, but it will help you in the end I promise. When you are tired, you can always rely on your own notes to know what you have and haven´t done.

This feeding schedule is quite full on right now, but it will get easier after a week has passed and they are on the same ratio formula.
Good thing I checked this before I fed the chicks! I started making notes other than just relying on my phone alarm haha. It's only been 48 hours and I forgot what sleep is like already :zombi:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Remember to write when each bird hatched. From there you can already map out when the formula will change for the week., then after each feed, log it (amount etc).

These first days are really crucial, mistakes and eyeballing can have irreversable effects.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Remember to write when each bird hatched. From there you can already map out when the formula will change for the week., then after each feed, log it (amount etc).

These first days are really crucial, mistakes and eyeballing can have irreversable effects.
Since Phoenix (the first chick) is 48 hours, can I technically use the same formula as Valentine (6:1)?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Since Phoenix (the first chick) is 48 hours, can I technically use the same formula as Valentine (6:1)?
Zara has already mentioned the ratios for formula will be different for each of these two chicks.

Chick #1 ( Phoenix 2-5 days old) mix 1 part Formula to 2-3 parts water

Chick #2 ( Valentine today hatchling ) Mix 1 part Formula to 6 parts water

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No. The first 48 hours is 1:6 powder:water.
Phoenix should be now taking 1:3

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
We double posted :)

Remember, now that Phoenix is on 1:3, for the next 72 hours, their ratio will be slowly changing to 1:2. So each day will be slightly different.
Eventually the youngest will also end up on the 1:3 ratio, but by then Phoenix should be on 1:2.

It will only be when the youngest chick is a week old that they will be able to share the same formula.

This is why I recommend writing all this down. If any more chicks hatch, this is gonna get so confusing, very quickly. You need to be able to know exactly what you are feeding everyone.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This chart may be handy for you, if you don't already own a gram scale I would highly suggest buying one to keep track of your chicks weights so you can chart their growth. If you don't have an avian vet this would be the time to find one in the event of an emergency.

( Click on the chart to enlarge and print out for your use)

Attachments

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
We double posted :)

Remember, now that Phoenix is on 1:3, for the next 72 hours, their ratio will be slowly changing to 1:2. So each day will be slightly different.
Eventually the youngest will also end up on the 1:3 ratio, but by then Phoenix should be on 1:2.

It will only be when the youngest chick is a week old that they will be able to share the same formula.

This is why I recommend writing all this down. If any more chicks hatch, this is gonna get so confusing, very quickly. You need to be able to know exactly what you are feeding everyone.
Okay thank you! I just got some extra syringes so now it'll be just a tad bit easier with feeding. I'll start that ratio for Phoenix on the next feeding time which is in a few mins haha

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
This chart may be handy for you, if you don't already own a gram scale I would highly suggest buying one to keep track of your chicks weights so you can chart their growth. If you don't have an avian vet this would be the time to find one in the event of an emergency.

( Click on the chart to enlarge and print out for your use)
Thank you for that! I created a chart with the same information. I was going to start weighing both chicks today! Is it best to weigh them before a feeding?

And luckily, there is an avian vet less than 5 mins from my house.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you for that! I created a chart with the same information. I was going to start weighing both chicks today! Is it best to weigh them before a feeding?

Typically, you weigh them first thing in the morning BEFORE feeding to get an accurate weight. Since they will be fed around the clock for the next 5-7 days I would choose 4 am or 6 am for the weight of the day as when the time comes where you will allow the crop to fully empty over night you will be weighing at this time.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just got some extra syringes so now it'll be just a tad bit easier with feeding.
Why would extra syringes make feeding easier?

I'll start that ratio for Phoenix on the next feeding time which is in a few mins
yes ok. Remember to monitor her from a distance. Check in on her every so often (obviously don´t keep opening the brooder, just look through the side.

That´s great.