• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 day old lovebird and would love advice! (sad update #141 + #183)

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Helloooo! It's been a while since I last sought everyone's advice (back in October when I had Dodgers :( ).

My lovebirds had some eggs again (5 eggs). Two of them hatched so far but the first one was yet again neglected by the parents so I have the second one in its own brooder.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!! I was following a previous thread on here and definitely used the advice you all have given (I so happen to name my lovebird chick Phoenix as well for its orangey feather fuzz). So far, I have the aspen shavings in it's brooder, temp set at 96-98 degrees, didn't have anything small (stuffed animal etc) so I did knot two pieces fabric and surrounded the lovebird chick, and feedings have been given every 2 hours.

I feed the lovebird chick until I believe the crop is good enough, but I'm not too sure. I use a syringe and normally give it about 5-6 drops. I'll post a pic of the chick after it's feeding!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
IMG_4129.jpeg
Penny is for reference on its size.

IMG_4130.jpeg
Baby lovebird after 8 drops of formula. I'm using the 6:1 ratio and the Kaytee brand.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A picture of the bird upright would be better. The crop doesn´t look full enough, but it could just be that it looks that way because they´re on their back.
Be sure you´re feeding at 105F.

Two of them hatched so far but the first one was yet again neglected by the parents so I have the second one in its own brooder.
Where is the first bird? I only see one.

mak

Rollerblading along the road
A picture of the bird upright would be better. The crop doesn´t look full enough, but it could just be that it looks that way because they´re on their back.

I'm hand feeding it since the parents kinda have a history of neglecting their young. The first one died so I had to rescue this second one.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@mak Thanks Mak, I´m confused though. Previously Kristinas birds laid eggs, the first chick hatched and passed away, she took the second and brooded it and attempted to raise them, unfortunately passed away later.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina

IMG_4134.jpeg

This is right after its feeding (after about 8 drops again). I have made sure that the formula mixture is at 105F. The first bird didn't make it because the parents neglected it.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wouldn´t feed any less than that. It will go down quite quickly too, so be vigilent, when you see just a little left in there, feed again. This could be every hour for now.

The first bird didn't make it because the parents neglected it.
If you are telling me the exact same thing happened again, that´s pretty sad.
Knowing the parents didn´t do so great last time, you should have checked the little ones this time.
I would consider retiring these birds, they´re just not good parents, and that´s ok, I´m sure they´ll still make great companions but I would be buying a set of dummy eggs for the future going forward.

You didn´t say about humidity? Depending on where you live, if you´re in a drier area, you may want to get a hygrometer to keep an eye on it.

Maintain your brooder temp steady, and keep food in the crop at all times (minus once to allow complete absorption of contents per 24 hours).

Remember when it has been 48 hours since hatching, to adjust the formula as per Kaytees instructions. There´s actually a bit of give for those 3 days. Start with the 3 parts water, and work your way down to the 2 parts water as you approach day 5. A smooth transition.

Advise your vet of the situation, should you need to contact them with any type of emergency.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I wouldn´t feed any less than that. It will go down quite quickly too, so be vigilent, when you see just a little left in there, feed again. This could be every hour for now.
Should I feed it a little more than that or just keep it at that amount? Yeah, I’ve noticed that it’s crop empties about 1.5 hours after feeding.

If you are telling me the exact same thing happened again, that´s pretty sad.
Knowing the parents didn´t do so great last time, you should have checked the little ones this time.
I would consider retiring these birds, they´re just not good parents, and that´s ok, I´m sure they´ll still make great companions but I would be buying a set of dummy eggs for the future going forward.
I tried the dummy eggs and they somehow just made real eggs lol they’re too smart but I agree, they aren’t good parents.

You didn´t say about humidity? Depending on where you live, if you´re in a drier area, you may want to get a hygrometer to keep an eye on it.

Maintain your brooder temp steady, and keep food in the crop at all times (minus once to allow complete absorption of contents per 24 hours).
I just ordered a humidity checker thing so it’ll come in tomorrow, but right now I wet some cotton balls and left them on top of a small cover in the brooder. I live near the beach. Brooder is kept at a constant 95-97F. Last night, I did a feeding at 12am then fed it again around 3:30am cuz it kept chirping for food then I did another one around 6am. It’s crop was practically empty during that 3:30am feeding.

Remember when it has been 48 hours since hatching, to adjust the formula as per Kaytees instructions. There´s actually a bit of give for those 3 days. Start with the 3 parts water, and work your way down to the 2 parts water as you approach day 5. A smooth transition.
I hope I’m doing the 6:1 ratio correctly. It’s mostly water with formula. How do I know if I’m doing the ratio correctly since I start the 3:1?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Should I feed it a little more than that or just keep it at that amount?
She´ll be ok if you´re filling the crop like in the pic, but no less. Try giving a little bit more.

I’ve noticed that it’s crop empties about 1.5 hours after feeding.
You don´t want the crop empty at all during the day. Check after an hour instead.
Remember, you need to do this all through the night. It is very tiring but that chick is dependant on you.

I live near the beach.
Hopefully humidity will be ok for you. I live by the beach in the Med, so it´s quite humid here most of the year round.

Last night, I did a feeding at 12am then fed it again around 3:30am cuz it kept chirping for food then I did another one around 6am. It’s crop was practically empty during that 3:30am feeding.
No, this is not right. Too long without food. It´s critical you feed her around the clock all through the night.

I hope I’m doing the 6:1 ratio correctly. It’s mostly water with formula.
It is 6 parts water to 1 part formula powder. So, for eg. 1/4tsp powder 1.5tsp water. Difficult to make such a small quantity and keep it warm, you can double that to make it easier. It should be quite thin and liquidy though.
Feed any leftovers to the adults afterwards (doesn´t have to be at 105 for them).

How do I know if I’m doing the ratio correctly since I start the 3:1?
This is either, half the amount of water, or double the amount of powder, however you wanna look at it.
so using the earlier example 1/2 tsp powder and 1.5tsp water.

I tried the dummy eggs and they somehow just made real eggs lol they’re too smart
I don´t think you know how to use them?
Glad you have a set though. In the future, whenever you see an egg, take it and dispose of it, and put a dummy egg in it´s place. Keep checking back and remove each new egg as it´s laid leaving a dummy every time. One for one. Then let them sit on those and rest (up to 3 weeks).
Be sure to remove any nest boxes from the cage.

You said there´s more eggs? What are the dates for those?
Did the remaining three hatch last time?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I tried the dummy eggs and they somehow just made real eggs lol they’re too smart but I agree, they aren’t good parents.
Dummy eggs help to reduce egg laying, but it is up to you to remove any real eggs from the nest each day until laying stops. Some parrots are determinant layers, so they will continue to lay eggs until they hit the "right" number, even if eggs are added or removed. Other parrots are indeterminate layers. They will lay more eggs if eggs are pulled from the nest. In order to prevent excessive egg laying, it is recommend to replace fertile eggs, either with fake plastic eggs (dummy eggs) or by boiling and returning the real eggs (make sure to mark the boiled eggs before returning them!)

Many indeterminate egg layers can also be "fooled" by dummy eggs to stop laying early, if you provide enough dummy eggs to satisfy their clutch size requirements. The presence of extra eggs can help stimulate the change in hormones that stops laying in indeterminate layers.

Parakeets are semi-determinate layers - once they start incubating the eggs, they will lay a set clutch size, regardless of additions or removals, so dummy eggs are not necessary. But if you pull the eggs too quickly, they act more like an indeterminate layers and keep on laying egg after egg, so long as conditions remain favorable.

Long story short - dummy eggs do not prevent laying entirely. You must continue to check the nest each day, remove any real eggs and add more dummy eggs until the laying stops. If you don't have enough dummy eggs, you can boil the real eggs to prevent hatching, then return them to the nest until the mother abandons it.

Pulling eggs is not fun, but it is important to be a good parront and prevent inappropriate breeding, when necessary. Especially if your parrots have known issues that make breeding hazardous, like bad parenting skills or health problems.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
No, this is not right. Too long without food. It´s critical you feed her around the clock all through the night.
So I shouldn’t take that 12-4am break?

It is 6 parts water to 1 part formula powder. So, for eg. 1/4tsp powder 1.5tsp water. Difficult to make such a small quantity and keep it warm, you can double that to make it easier. It should be quite thin and liquidy though.
Feed any leftovers to the adults afterwards (doesn´t have to be at 105 for them).
I’ve been eyeballing it but I’ll do more accurate calculations for the next feeding! It is thin and liquidy though. I’m using like a big shot glass so that the formula stays at temperature during feeding.

I don´t think you know how to use them?
Glad you have a set though. In the future, whenever you see an egg, take it and dispose of it, and put a dummy egg in it´s place. Keep checking back and remove each new egg as it´s laid leaving a dummy every time. One for one. Then let them sit on those and rest (up to 3 weeks).
Be sure to remove any nest boxes from the cage.
I’ll try for next time!

You said there´s more eggs? What are the dates for those?
Did the remaining three hatch last time?
One egg should be hatching today, if not tomorrow. And the other two, they looked pinkish so I’m not sure that they’ll hatch. I noticed of the 5 that 3 were dark and 2 were pink. That’s kinda how I determined how many chicks we were expecting.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Dummy eggs help to reduce egg laying, but it is up to you to remove any real eggs from the nest each day until laying stops. Some parrots are determinant layers, so they will continue to lay eggs until they hit the "right" number, even if eggs are added or removed. Other parrots are indeterminate layers. They will lay more eggs if eggs are pulled from the nest. In order to prevent excessive egg laying, it is recommend to replace fertile eggs, either with fake plastic eggs (dummy eggs) or by boiling and returning the real eggs (make sure to mark the boiled eggs before returning them!)

Many indeterminate egg layers can also be "fooled" by dummy eggs to stop laying early, if you provide enough dummy eggs to satisfy their clutch size requirements. The presence of extra eggs can help stimulate the change in hormones that stops laying in indeterminate layers.

Parakeets are semi-determinate layers - once they start incubating the eggs, they will lay a set clutch size, regardless of additions or removals, so dummy eggs are not necessary. But if you pull the eggs too quickly, they act more like an indeterminate layers and keep on laying egg after egg, so long as conditions remain favorable.

Long story short - dummy eggs do not prevent laying entirely. You must continue to check the nest each day, remove any real eggs and add more dummy eggs until the laying stops. If you don't have enough dummy eggs, you can boil the real eggs to prevent hatching, then return them to the nest until the mother abandons it.

Pulling eggs is not fun, but it is important to be a good parront and prevent inappropriate breeding, when necessary. Especially if your parrots have known issues that make breeding hazardous, like bad parenting skills or health problems.
Pulling eggs sounds soo sad but it is true that it’s important being a good “parront.”

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So I shouldn’t take that 12-4am break?

I’ve been eyeballing it but I’ll do more accurate calculations for the next feeding! It is thin and liquidy though. I’m using like a big shot glass so that the formula stays at temperature during feeding.

I’ll try for next time!

One egg should be hatching today, if not tomorrow. And the other two, they looked pinkish so I’m not sure that they’ll hatch. I noticed of the 5 that 3 were dark and 2 were pink. That’s kinda how I determined how many chicks we were expecting.
Not until the chick is 5-7 days old... until then you will be feeding every hour to hour and a half - 8 drops -9 drops. Don't overfill the crop, it shouldn't be tight but still have a little give to the touch. Please be accurate about the formula/water ratio. Since you make a small amount at time it would be helpful for you to have a bowl of warm water slightly higher in temp than your formula when you feed it.. Place the container ( shot glass) in the bowl of water to keep the temp of the formula constant until the baby is fed. Small amounts can cool quickly and it's vital you feed her at the right temperature to avoid crop issues. Never save any formula for the next feeding, always, always prepare fresh. When the time comes to increase the volume of formula to water ratio you can lengthen the time between feedings ( after the 5-7 day mark).. time wise depends on how quickly your baby is digesting the formula. This is when your last feeding should be 12:00 midnight where the crop should empty around four hours. If after those four hours the crop still has food in it wait until it's fully empty before beginning the first feeding of the day ( around 4:00 am)

Sterilize all of your feeding supplies and containers after each feeding, ready for the next time.

Will you be pulling the other chicks to feed or observe the parents to see if they feed first?

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Not until the chick is 5-7 days old... until then you will be feeding every hour to hour and a half - 8 drops -9 drops. Don't overfill the crop, it shouldn't be tight but still have a little give to the touch. Please be accurate about the formula/water ratio. Since you make a small amount at time it would be helpful for you to have a bowl of warm water slightly higher in temp than your formula when you feed it.. Place the container ( shot glass) in the bowl of water to keep the temp of the formula constant until the baby is fed. Small amounts can cool quickly and it's vital you feed her at the right temperature to avoid crop issues. Never save any formula for the next feeding, always, always prepare fresh. When the time comes to increase the volume of formula to water ratio you can lengthen the time between feedings ( after the 5-7 day mark).. time wise depends on how quickly your baby is digesting the formula. This is when your last feeding should be 12:00 midnight where the crop should empty around four hours. If after those four hours the crop still has food in it wait until it's fully empty before beginning the first feeding of the day ( around 4:00 am)
So after that 5-7 day mark, that's when I do that 12-4am "break"?

Will you be pulling the other chicks to feed or observe the parents to see if they feed first?
If there will be any other chicks, I'll first observe. But knowing the parents' history, I'll be pulling the other chicks to feed. If the other eggs hatch, is it okay to put the chicks together in the same brooder? I'm assuming so...lol

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
The third egg hatched! I went downstairs to boil some more water and checked the parents to see if there were anymore chicks...sure enough there was one. Not sure when it was hatched but I'm assuming between the hours of 9pm-3isham. I don't know if any of you are awake in the wee hours of the night but...is it okay to start the first feeding?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Are you following this thread? Lots of your questions are probably answered there.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Are you following this thread? Lots of your questions are probably answered there.
Yes I am!! I actually went through the entire thread and am taking in all the advice. Thank you!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
t I'm assuming between the hours of 9pm-3isham
.is it okay to start the first feeding?
I don´t know what time that is, but I know this was a while ago.

With newly hatched chicks, you can see the yolk in their belly (not the crop, look lower down), you can actually see the colour. When it is gone, you can feed. Do not feed before the yolk is fully absorbed.

Yes, all chicks from this clutch can go into the brooder together.

VERY IMPORTANT!
Do not give these birds the same formula. They were hatched on different days, and require different ratios of formula. You will have to feed one at a time. Start with the youngest.
When they hit the week mark, they can eat the same formula from the same bowl.