• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoe the CBC What's best for her?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I’ll email you when I get a second. My biggest concern is adding a female CBC to my male CBC. I don’t want any mating to happen.

I have a spare cage that’s big enough for her. It’s the same as my others.

@webchirp you know my setup. You know how my birds are. Is it a good idea to consider bringing her home or not?

@Renaissanista girl you are 6 hours away from me. That’s a big distance.
If I say no, should you just bring her to me? lol...seriously, you could have "mating" with two girls. It's all just a toss up. But really, mating isn't a big deal and in my opinion a bonus to our captive birds...finding love that is. But likely two cbc's will gravitate to each other. Jewel has two boyfriends and still wants time alone with me. I haven't figured out what the deal is at my house...they usually all fuss about having friends where I see others that get a third or fourth and no flock problems.

Renaissanista

Sitting on the front steps
alshgs.....Yes mating is a concern with two CBC's together. I only want the best for her and for you and your birds too so no pressure at all. Just leaving the option open. Don't like thinking about giving her up anyway, but I'd be elated to know she was really happy and busy with a big birdie family. Looks like you've got a lot going on all the time with the dogs and birds Lol. It's good to get some advice too.

It's funny how birds are like humans. They all have such distinctive personalities. Zoe is a high energy extrovert, who will accept anything and everyone. She just wants to communicate, hang with her friends, keep busy or snuggle. She forgives and forgets easily. Me, my hubby and Elihu are all what I'd call low key introverts. Elihu gets scared easily, is very sensitive and introspective. He stares at me trying to figure out how I feel and knows how to say "scared" and what it means. It's funny because my husband and his sister are like Zoe and Elihu, opposite personality types. The dynamics are really similar in his family. Ha ha. Little sister bird, Zoe.

Renaissanista

Webchirp knows more than I do about it I'm sure.
I know 6 hours is a concern if things didn't work out for some reason.
For me, I would go to great lengths to make sure she is somewhere that she and her new owner are very happy.
I would worry too much otherwise, so it's worth it to drive or do what it takes to get her somewhere really good for her. My hubby supports that too.
I may check in with others around here. It's a small town so limited bird owners and I don't trust just anyone with her. Really want a multi bird home with a committed owner.
Thanks for the advice everyone and good suggestions. Contact me anytime. I'm still in limbo right now.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Webchirp knows more than I do about it I'm sure.
I know 6 hours is a concern if things didn't work out for some reason.
For me, I would go to great lengths to make sure she is somewhere that she and her new owner are very happy.
I would worry too much otherwise, so it's worth it to drive or do what it takes to get her somewhere really good for her. My hubby supports that too.
I may check in with others around here. It's a small town so limited bird owners and I don't trust just anyone with her. Really want a multi bird home with a committed owner.
Thanks for the advice everyone and good suggestions. Contact me anytime. I'm still in limbo right now.
She sounds very much like my Jewel bird. So good with everyone...well mostly the boys but she always makes time for me. Granted she prefers nose rubs to fingers...lol

And I saw your videos...she is absolutely adorable. Are you sure your quaker won't miss her?

Last edited:

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She sounds very much like my Jewel bird. So good with everyone...well mostly the boys but she always makes time for me. Granted she prefers nose rubs to fingers...lol

And I saw your videos...she is absolutely adorable. Are you sure your quaker won't miss her?
This is what I want to make sure of. That you are absolutely sure that this is what you want to do before you let her go. I’m more than happy to take her. I have references or whatever you need if that makes you feel any better. I know it’s still hard either way

Renaissanista

Good for you finding my videos. I should put more up. Guess you wouldn't think I was a crazy bird lady for being googoo gaga over my birds as some
of my vids clearly demonstrate my obsession.
I was checking my email not here, oops again.
I feel better trusting you alshgs than just anybody. I think Zoe would love the energy in your home. I've been considering this for years.
Zoe is generally happy, Elihu somewhat likes her and might be a little lonely at first. I'll just pour on extra love. He will also benefit from going back to
being an only bird. That was what he was used to.

With Zoe, I've become convinced that it's unloving to her for her not to have a small flock with energy and a willingness to cuddle. She just craves closeness and distraction. Even just a nice bird to sit by all day
would make such a difference to her.
It's been a long road deciding, and I really didn't even have the emotions to deal with the thought for a while, but I'm convinced she will be happier and that's the point
I needed to get to. I'll be ecstatic as long as y'all are happy. hard at first , of course. I'm glad I got to know a cbc. I wasn't anticipating the social need that is unique to conures because Elihu is so different.

We can plan to meet up. Just give us an idea when and where. My hubby will come with me so it will be a nice trip. I'll take time to give you details about her and even the challenging side to her
personality before we take the plunge. I'll check here and my email elihusnyder@gmail.com.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Won’t Elihu be sad?

Renaissanista

Hi Finchly
Elihu will miss her some I'm sure. When I first got her, he started rubbing the feathers off around his eyes due to stress. He still does this though it may be because they itch when they come in now. Not sure. I first thought
he had an infection, but it was just a stress behavior.
He is comfortable with her presence, and seems to like knowing someone else is around. He prefers our attention a lot more though.
He is very timid and nervous so an energetic conure who just wants to be near him all the time is overwhelming for a boy who was an only parrot for 5 years. Of course, if he just loved her and was constantly cuddling
and preening her, I wouldn't think of giving her up. But that would solve Zoe's loneliness problem. I tried everything to get him to bond and get comfortable with her. I thought they would bond better and find a lot of joy in each other.
He's nice to her and knows she's part of his turf, but he will eventually enjoy the solace better than the company I believe. You gotta know your parrot.

I work from home a lot so I have time to help him adjust.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Finchly
Elihu will miss her some I'm sure. When I first got her, he started rubbing the feathers off around his eyes due to stress. He still does this though it may be because they itch when they come in now. Not sure. I first thought
he had an infection, but it was just a stress behavior.
He is comfortable with her presence, and seems to like knowing someone else is around. He prefers our attention a lot more though.
He is very timid and nervous so an energetic conure who just wants to be near him all the time is overwhelming for a boy who was an only parrot for 5 years. Of course, if he just loved her and was constantly cuddling
and preening her, I wouldn't think of giving her up. But that would solve Zoe's loneliness problem. I tried everything to get him to bond and get comfortable with her. I thought they would bond better and find a lot of joy in each other.
He's nice to her and knows she's part of his turf, but he will eventually enjoy the solace better than the company I believe. You gotta know your parrot.

I work from home a lot so I have time to help him adjust.
Got it!

I think it’s difficult to sort out how to keep them all happy sometimes... because there are bird birds and people birds.

Having you at home will help him a lot I am sure.

Have you posted photos yet? We love pictures!

Renaissanista

Does he look happy or miserable with the tickles from Zoe? Rare moment.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my sweet goodness. Where do I sign? :xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove:

@alshgs let me know if you change your mind :heart:

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh my sweet goodness. Where do I sign? :xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove:

@alshgs let me know if you change your mind :heart:
Ladybug she would be just as happy with you, if not happier since she would have more to bond to in your flock!

Renaissanista

Glad Y'all liked those. She's a looker it's true. I saw two male doves chasing a female outside Zoe and Elihu's window. I told him, "Ya know the males usually chase the females, Elihu." He's a mess. I believe he thinks my hubby,Ryan, is his mate because Ryan's the only one he doesn't chase away from his sleep cage.

Renaissanista

My husband and I were in the pet store the other day. We saw this adorable baby pineapple green cheek. I spoke to him softly and his eyes began to close, sleepy. He was in a fairly barren cage a so we decided to buy him a birdie buddy he could sleep with. They let us put it in his cage. He seemed to like it immediately. Don't really know if it's a boy or not. It was very tempting to just throw my hands up in the air and buy him for Zoe. He was very personable and loved being scratched. I still really don't want to take on another bird, and Ryan is totally against it.

Elihu gets grumpier in the springtime. He can be a velociraptor and chases my hands all over the cage when I'm putting the food in in the morning. Zoe went over to grab a cracker. She was leisurely eating it and Elihu came over and ripped it out of her claw and threw it on the ground. Zoe just acted like nothing happened. She's used to the old fart. He usually isn't that rude, but he will take food out of her hand on occasion and eat it himself.

When his aggression and loudness gets to be too much, I put him in his humble suit. It's a flightsuit that he's not too fond of. His personality changes immediately though. I can leave him in his sleep cage with Zoe and he will just sit there letting her preen him. It's actually kiss torture. She buries her beak in his super thick feather fluff(can't blame her it's irressistable) or just kisses all over his head. She's in heaven. He's not particularly pleased but will preen her too. He seems to need the attitude adjustment because he will come out of his suit just as sweet as can be for the rest of the day, quiet and quite comfortably fluffing all over. I think birds actually get more stressed when they are not sure who the boss is. He knows after he's been put in his suit.

I don't have the heart to do that too often, but I'm always thinking how much Zoe would love it if I put Elihu in his suit so she could have some cuddle time. Looks like he'll be giving me more excuses this spring to let Zoe apply kiss torture.