• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoe the CBC What's best for her?

Renaissanista

Sitting on the front steps
I have a CBC and a Quaker. Zoe, the CBC, is 6 years old. My Quaker, Elihu, is 11.

Zoe is a sweetie, very energetic, gentle, kind, talks and eats like a "piggy" (her favorite word to say).
I had Ellihu 5 years before I got Zoe. He's awesome and brilliant but he's not a bird bird. He thinks he's a human.

Zoe loves other birds and looooves Elihu. He tolerates her, is usually kind to her and, on rare occasions, even preens her. He seems to like knowing someone else is around, but she makes him nervous. Zoe really likes us but I feel that her conure personality craves close cuddly socialization with another bird.

I don't really want another bird, but I have been thinking of getting another bird companion for Zoe. I have also thought about finding a home for Zoe where she can be with other more cuddly and playful birds like her.

I don't want babies so I can't get a male CBC. I don't want to get another female due to possible territorial aggression. I would get another male GCC but I am afraid they will mate. I thought about a male lovebird. Lovebirds tend to be cuddly and playful like Zoe. She is such a nice parrot person "parson?" that she would accept anyone. She can stand up for herself, but she is not aggressive at all.

My biggest complaint about my babies is that they can get a little demanding with screaming for attention and I worry that they are bored or lonely.

Elihu would scream for attention a lot before Zoe. One of the reasons I got her. Now, Zoe tends to beg for attention and Elihu stays quiet. They are together during the day, but have separate sleep cages about 12 hours a night.

Zoe laid eggs and loved her eggies. She was quiet as a mouse and barely left her eggs the whole time. She was very happy. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if she was occupied with another bird. Also, Elihu seemed content on his own during this time, though he would go over and peek in to see what she was up to often, something he would never do normally.

Zoe was kept with her brothers at the breeder and cuddled beside them all the time. I hated taking her away from her brother. Does she just need another cuddly playmate?

They are both happy, healthy and eating well. They get attention and toys.
I'm a worry wart.

I live in WV near Morgantown.

If anyone thinks they want to consider a CBC as an addition to their flock of friends. You can let me know.

If you want to advise me on the likelihood of a male lovebird fitting in with my motley crew that would be great. Any other bird suggestions are fine too. What type of lovebird is most quiet, tolerant and non-aggressive?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Lovebirds tend to be... not bird birds.

Unless the bird is another love bird. I'd say don't get a bird like that for another bird, another conure would be the best bet.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh how I wish I could!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It really depends on the lovebird's personality. Guzma loves Mimikyu and wants to be with her at all times, Yen will get bossy and nippy with the other two if I don't keep a close eye on her. if I'm not in the room, she can't just be free with my other birds. She's even tried to start fights with my budgie through the bars of Ciri's cage. I'd be very picky about what kind of lovebird you get. Plus, there's no guarantee that your potential new bird will bond with the bird you want him to bond with. When I got Yen, we all thought she and Guzma would bond to one another, but they could care less about eachother.

Renaissanista

Thanks for your replies. Helpful:)

Looks like a male is a definite. Yen sounds like a fireball. Girls will be girls. I would do a lot of research and look for a bird bonded lovie in the aviary. One that is already tending toward cuddling other birds. I can guarantee Elihu will not let it bond to him, LOL.
When I first got Zoe, she was so frustrated, she literally grabbed him by the chest and forced a kiss on him. No lie. He screamed bloody murder!
She still never gives up on him, but she's laid off on the forced kisses.

Last night, I got Elihu out and held him. Zoe came down smooched him all over his head. She said "big smooch" as she kiss bombed him all over his head. Of course, I had to prevent him from nipping at her, but he deserved kiss torture because he had just bit me. Crotchety old bird sometimes. I try to tell him how much Zoe loves him, but he's a preteen and doesn't listen to anything I say anymore.

Still not sure I will get another bird. They are well loved and happy. Just want optimal lives for them both.

If I get a bird that is interested in cuddling. I'm 99% sure it will bond to Zoe. She's as sweet as pie and would never give a cold shoulder to any baby bird. I'm sure of that.

A conure would seem to be logical, but I don't want to risk territorial girl fights or mating (if I got boy of any type of conure I understand it is possible).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Are you willing to travel/do a facetime home check? We have green cheeks that are very bird oriented.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think another bird-socialized female conure is your best choice, if you get another bird. I wouldn't worry that much about two females being territorial; some birds will always be territorial but two female conures no worse than average. In fact, in the wild, many Pyrrhuras are communal nesters, where a few females will lay in the same nest cavity, and the whole flock will pile in there at night if it's cold (they tend to live in small family flocks). So if anything, they are less territorial - at least when it comes to trusted close flock members.

Renaissanista

I think I need to adjust my settings so I can get email notifications of new messages. I've been swamped with finalizing my books with taxes this month. YUCK.
Great to know about conure females being tolerant. Zoe is a sweetie pie, but can get into "Stevie Wonder" head action (territorial) when Elihu gets on her turf. I guess most female conures aren't vicious about their territories. Elihu is a Velociraptor when he gets in the mood and can draw blood, on the other hand.

I still feel like Zoe needs to be with other birds. She's just super energetic an social. I'm willing to consider it if someone bird committed needs a sweet little girl. Likely, they'd have to live near WV. I want Zoe to be able to be a "communal nester".Awwwww

I don't really mind traveling a bit if I can get the right bird for Zoe.
I don't know if my hubby would be on board with yet another bird. He's loving to these, but they tend to scream at him more and it gets to him. It's really because they like him a lot. He doesn't discipline them at all. They know they can get away with it with him.Lol My parrots have always been love triangles.

Renaissanista

my setting look right,but I'm not getting emails.....strange.....

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
How far are you willing to travel if you decide? I’m in NC, so I’m sure I’m a good distance away from you. I had a male crimson bellied about two years ago now that passed. So I have a male crimson bellied again, but originally I wanted a female. (They wouldn’t breed) I also have a male plumhead and a female green cheek. They are always out and always together. They are incredible social. Shoot me a PM if you decide you’d like to rehome her. Like I said, I’m sure I’m a good distance away, but if you’re willing to travel, I am too. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You might not be able to get messages unless you have so many posts...it might still be 25 before you can get PM privi's. I just realized I am only four hours from you. CBC's are beautiful and I love girlies but alas, I have far to many fosters.

Are you worried Elihu might start calling again if Zoe leaves? It sounds like you have a pretty good setup for them both if they are okay together.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Gosh Chandra, that really makes a difference :hehe: One more wont hurt! That’s how I feel about bringing in more!

Just kidding. I looked it up though and I’m a little over 6 hours from you. Ouch.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Gosh Chandra, that really makes a difference :hehe: One more wont hurt! That’s how I feel about bringing in more!

Just kidding. I looked it up though and I’m a little over 6 hours from you. Ouch.
That isn't bad...I thought it was closer to 8. :) Little Maui keeps trying to snuggle up to grumpy Zia. She is just asking for trouble I tell you.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
No ma’am. I’m 6 ish away from her. I’m still right at 9 away from you :(

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I will still take Maui! And hachi, and giggie and the others too :lol:

Renaissanista

I bet I can't PM or get email notifications yet. Alshgs, you sound like you have a great setup. I am looking for that kind of home where she can socialize and be with other conures. I am willing to travel. NC isn't that far. I don't have a separate cage for her, but I do have a small sleep cage that she spends the night in. I'd love to see her with other social birds.

I can see her being so much fun with other birds. She has a lot of play that doesn't get to come out with old fuddy duddy Elihu.

I know she'd love being with another CBC. She had two brothers. When I originally picked her up, she was snuggling her brother. Hated to take her away. He was going to a new home soon too anyway.

I live in Clarksburg, WV.

Elihu would probably call more without her around, but I also have the time right now to give him attention until he adjusts.

I promise to check my messages more often.

Renaissanista

The rules say I can post my email. Since I can't PM or get notifications yet here it is..... elihusnyder@gmail.com
Yep it's my birdi's name Lol
I'll take it down later.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I’ll email you when I get a second. My biggest concern is adding a female CBC to my male CBC. I don’t want any mating to happen.

I have a spare cage that’s big enough for her. It’s the same as my others.

@webchirp you know my setup. You know how my birds are. Is it a good idea to consider bringing her home or not?

@Renaissanista girl you are 6 hours away from me. That’s a big distance.