• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Zeke is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hope it's something that will pass quickly and he is in a great home and I:hug8: know he will be just fine! :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers of healing for little Zeke. I thought they did kelation for heavy metal toxcicity.

Ginger

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Matt sending Zeke healing energy and good thoughts and vibes your way.

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
:hug8: Healing energy being sent your way for Zeke! Try to stay positive!:hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

We've only had him for about three weeks now, so we can't be sure as to what his "normal" activity level is, but he has appeared to be a perch potato by and large. He'll run around hanging upside down and such when he's excited though. I think you're right on the supplemental heat for his cage. I'll get him a heated perch, I'll just need to ask Kathie what size may be most appropriate.

I've been reading that you can add milk thistle and lactulose to water instead of feeding it directly? Anyone have any experience with that? 3 months of twice daily medication will get old very fast, especially since Zeke has decided that he only wants Craig to handle him.
The only thing I have ever had luck with is putting meds on the parrot sized avicakes for the amazon. I just can't seem to properly administer meds without loosing my syringes and getting meds up her nose. But if they avicakes is all she has, she'll eat it. Hope Zeke feels better soon!

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Matt, I'm so sorry to hear about Zeke's test results. This is from his new/well-bird checkup? My sun conure Nicky, at age 2, had lead poisoning, violently ill 2 days after eating paint chips in a windowsill (vomiting, bloody poops) He was given chealation therapy, & 3 days later was well enough to come home. Just telling you this so you know the heavy metal poisoning can be severe, & birds can recover. I'll keep you & dear Zeke in my thoughts, & will be looking for updates. :hug8::heart::hug8:

PS This same paint, earlier, had tested 'safe' for lead!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: sending lots of prayers for Zeke

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
:hug8:​healing prayers for Zeke!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I put the aloe detox, which has dandelion, milk thistle, and other liver healing things in it, in Sheba's water. I am sending lots of healing positive energy for Zeke.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many healing energies on the way for Zeke!!!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sending lots of positive thoughts for you and little Zeke:heart::heart::heart::heart:

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Thank you all for the well wishes. We haven't actually been able to give him his medication. When it was a tiny amount of baytril before, we could drizzle it over almonds and feed it to him. The volume of meds we have to give him now is much, much higher and that's no good. Also, with liver issues compounded with his perch-potatoeness we shouldn't be feeding him nuts anyways.

That said, I made a LOT of progress with him today such that he'll move to an oral syringe to get orange juice out of it. I'll keep doing this today and change the orange juice to water before attempting the meds. I also need to get him to accept the syringe at a higher angle, he seems to be put off if the plunger is above his head (I need to be able to squirt the meds DOWN into his mouth in order to ensure he actually gets them, he seems to want to only deal with the syringe when the plunger is at eye level or lower).

Wish us luck!!

I'm also thinking about trying to get a second opinion once his results come back. Our vet is an AAV member but isn't board certified. There was a board-certified vet in our area that went out on maternity leave, but it appears she's back to work and at another clinic. The clinic is in Norton, and is thus a lot less convenient to us than Anchor (where we go now) as Anchor is about 10 minutes from our house, and 5 minutes from where we work.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Gingers' idea is good(mix meds with OJ)
Best of luck; have only needed to administer meds once...it was not pleasant, but our MM did get used to it after the first several attempts.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Ginger, that's the idea, but due to the angle and such he's only getting about half of what I squirt down.

I also want to make sure he willingly takes it when it doesn't taste as delicious. I figured I'd do about .2 ml of OJ at the bottom, the meds, and another bit of OJ to finish it off.

All that said, I'm not sure if the acidity of the OJ is good for the antibiotics.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Merlins horrible when we have to medicate. On days i feel to chicken to towel him & do it, i mix it w/my jam & put it on a small piece of toast. just a thought

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would ask the vet about the OJ. Some meds are counter acted by citrus. Matt I know Zeke is new to you so forgive me if I am making you repeat yourself but will he sit on you or Craigs lap? When I first started giving Tequila meds I had him sit on my lap with his butt facing my left hand. I gently cupped the back of his head while slowly giving him the meds with my right hand and trying to put the plunger on the right side of his beak , so he would just sip the meds out of the plunger. It worked well the first time he was sick and now can even give him meds while he is sitting on a perch. Just a suggestion. :hug8:Does Zeke like yogurt? That may not be a bad thing to try seeing as he will get some benefit from the probiotics.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
When I had to dose Tikki <not fun>, we found a happy medium. I'd mix her meds with Harrison's mash and mango juice <organic, unsweetened> and give it to her from a spoon. She wanted NO part of a syringe, but the spoon, she'll happily eat from.

I think Mango juice might be a better juice option than OJ ... even carrot juice can work, but Mango is sweeter, and seems to "cover" the medicine taste quite well.

Hoping Zeke feels better soon!! :hug8::heart::hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor baby. Good thoughts coming for him :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.