• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finch suddenly died

kanth

Strolling the yard
My zebra finch died today. He was taking a nap and didn't wake up. I don't know what happened, I'm new to finches but I thought I was taking good care of him. He had a friend, a male society finch, they got along really well. I looked the finch over and he seems to have had some sort of skin irritation on parts of his chest. A little on the thin side but he was very active, he ate plenty. No sneezing, wheezing, odd behavior, he was acting completely normal. Should I be worried about my other finch? My parrots are in the same room he lived in, should I be worried about them?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If you have a vet I would call and explain the situation and see what they suggest

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is there an emergency vet you could call?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am sorry for your loss.
Could you catch the society finch and check if he has the same irritation?(Don't know a lot about finches, if you think that is too stressfull then don't of course:) )No idea what could have happened, I think you have done all you can at the moment
@finchly @Clairecanary15 @Serin

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Good you called the vet, proud of you

kanth

Strolling the yard
I am sorry for your loss.
Could you catch the society finch and check if he has the same irritation?(Don't know a lot about finches, if you think that is too stressfull then don't of course:) )No idea what could have happened, I think you have done all you can at the moment
@finchly @Clairecanary15 @Serin
I caught him and tried to see but I couldn't tell. He kept squirming around. I didn't see anything but the zebra finchs irritations/redness was small patches not his entire chest so I could've easily missed it on the society finch

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. Good that you contacted the vet. Continue to monitor your other birds closely. You could always have a necropsy done on the finch although sometimes that is inconclusive.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do the necropsy - all your other birds could have whatever it is. Which could bel nothing, but could be important.

Also: don’t handle one bird after another without washing your hands, don’t mix up their food or water dishes, and if you clean cages with a rag switch to paper towels and toss them between cages.

Hopefully it isn’t contagious but you never know.

kanth

Strolling the yard
Do the necropsy - all your other birds could have whatever it is. Which could bel nothing, but could be important.

Also: don’t handle one bird after another without washing your hands, don’t mix up their food or water dishes, and if you clean cages with a rag switch to paper towels and toss them between cages.

Hopefully it isn’t contagious but you never know.
I'm getting a necropsy when I can call the vet Monday. I use paper towels, but if he had something contagious I think at least some of my other birds would have it too. My roommate has a great dane so all my birds are in the same room, except a new bird in quarantine. I've always used paper towels but I've probably accidentally switched bowls at some point. 9 of my 13 birds bowls are identical, and their diets are similar, I wouldn't do it on purpose but its well within the realm of possibility.

kanth

Strolling the yard
So sorry for your loss. Good that you contacted the vet. Continue to monitor your other birds closely. You could always have a necropsy done on the finch although sometimes that is inconclusive.
Thank you. They are all acting normal so far. I'm getting a necropsy Monday when the vet clinics open.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm getting a necropsy when I can call the vet Monday. I use paper towels, but if he had something contagious I think at least some of my other birds would have it too. My roommate has a great dane so all my birds are in the same room, except a new bird in quarantine. I've always used paper towels but I've probably accidentally switched bowls at some point. 9 of my 13 birds bowls are identical, and their diets are similar, I wouldn't do it on purpose but its well within the realm of possibility.
I know what you mean. I have 10 cages, I try to be careful but things happen sometimes!

kanth

Strolling the yard
I’ve been thinking about anything I’ve changed with the finches and a few days ago I gave them nesting material. The zebra finch loved it and made a nest but the society finch never touched it, just napped on the nest when the zebra finch was finished. Am I just overthinking this

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you took good care of your lil finch. I hope it's nothing contageous! :sadhug2:

How are your other birds doing right now?

I wish I knew about finches, I'm keeping a look out for your future updates.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you took good care of your lil finch. I hope it's nothing contageous! :sadhug2:

How are your other birds doing right now?

I wish I knew about finches, I'm keeping a look out for your future updates.
Thank you!
The society finch he lived with is ok. He is singing a lot more but I think that's just because hes suddenly alone. All my parrots are acting normal