• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Zack is barely responding- Sad Update Post #9

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
Oh god I'm absolutely terrified right now
The store is closed so I can't pick up critical care food to give him and the vet's office is closed for the night
Zaxl (budgie, male, around a year old) isn't making a peep. I got up to check on him and he was puffed up on the bottom of his cage, and he didn't respond to sound, and when I nudged him, he barely opened his beak to complain. He's hardly moving, I've got him out and with me right now with millet in front of him, but he won't even touch it!
He was acting just fine not even an hour ago, running around excitedly as always and being bubbly and energetic. I don't know what suddenly came over him, the lights haven't been flashy and it's been quiet in my room.
I don't know what to do for him overnight, I'm so scared, I can't lose him. I can't. Barely over 2 weeks ago, I took him home and promised him I'd take care of him and he'd live a happy life here, I can't let him down.
What can I do to help him hang in there?? please, I'm so scared, I don't care that he's a 20$ bird and the vet visit will be over 100$ he's irreplaceable to me and he deserves help

and I don't know how to help him I'm such a mess right now sorry this isn't very well written

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
is there an emergency vet? can google find an emergency vet anywhere near you?
hope the little guy improves! keep us posted

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
I'm trying to look around, mom says he's getting his grip back at least, I really hope he makes it.. it's hard to think right now..

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
maybe he fell from a perch? had a friend whose bird fell and was out of it for a while/slowly came around and the head bang was serious but not way serious? hoping for the best. is hard to think when there is so much worry. Best I can suggest is keep him warm and safe-whatever normally is comfortable for him. keep stress away, don't force anything on him. wish I could give better advice. hopefully there is an emergency vet.

Raa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kirra
Keep him warm and hydrated. Stick him under your shirt if you have to to help him regulate his body heat. A wheat bag would also work. If you can get him to drink it some vegimite (spot the Aussie) diluted in water may help perk him up. Its full of Vitamin B.

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
he won't even open his beak for some millet right in front of him.. I think he went to the bottom because he couldn't hold himself up - he can't even perch on my hand. I've just got him on my chest now, hoping he keeps breathing and will recover... he feels a little chilled..
I hope he either lasts long enough to get better, or he at least goes painlessly...
I don't have vegimite, or really.. anything. The house is kind of bare food-wise at the moment. I'll try the shirt thing, that might help..!

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
he keeps flipping himself over in brief spasms, and twisting his head around.. his legs are stiffened out now. i don't think he'll make it through the night...

it breaks my heart a little more each time he turns his head and stares at me with those black, innocent eyes. he looks so scared, so confused... i wish he understood me so i could try to reassure him..

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
zaxl just passed away in my hands.

i hope he could hear me when i told him i love him.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
he won't even open his beak for some millet right in front of him.. I think he went to the bottom because he couldn't hold himself up - he can't even perch on my hand. I've just got him on my chest now, hoping he keeps breathing and will recover... he feels a little chilled..
I hope he either lasts long enough to get better, or he at least goes painlessly...
I don't have vegimite, or really.. anything. The house is kind of bare food-wise at the moment. I'll try the shirt thing, that might help..!

he keeps flipping himself over in brief spasms, and twisting his head around.. his legs are stiffened out now. i don't think he'll make it through the night...

it breaks my heart a little more each time he turns his head and stares at me with those black, innocent eyes. he looks so scared, so confused... i wish he understood me so i could try to reassure him..

This sounds exactly like what happened when my Dudley passed away. :(

I'm so very sorry. Fly free, Zaxl. :sadhug2:

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Zaxyl,:sorrow:
Sending hugs and good vibes, I'm extremely sorry..:sadhug2:

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
thank you guys for the help while he was still around, and the condolences for his loss

It was such a short time with him, but he was still my friend. I hope I can keep it together at work tomorrow. I don't know if I can face his prior cage-mates and his mate knowing that I took him away from them, promising him a happy life, and he didn't even make it 3 weeks. I would have spent every penny I had on him, even if it meant not making rent, but I didn't even have the chance to try.
I'm sorry Zaxl.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I am so sorry for your loss. Thankfully, he was able to spend his time with you. I'm sorry that time was cut so short. :sadhug2:

Only because you recently brought him home and he was exposed to your other budgie; I would highly recommend still taking him into the vet and having a necropsy done on him. It is better to find out what went wrong with him and to know what actions to take, if any, for your other budgie.

:sadhug2:

Raa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kirra
Sorry he went :(. Budgies are such fragile little things, he was lucky to have someone who cared enough to try...

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm so very sorry for Your loss.Could he have ingested something that might have poisoned him,or was there something in the air(perfume/air freshener/burning teflon/that could have hurt him? Again I'm so sorry:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is so hard do go through. I am truly sorry you lost him. It hurts! Sounds like a stroke took him.