• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Young Love Bird Bleeding .

ddy13

Walking the driveway
not sure how or when they managed to break a cage bar and impaled them self and was bleeding , got someone to get them, I tried to stop the bleeding with a wet cloth not too cold they seem to be OK with that, also needed to get them to drink a few drops at least. It will be a long night . Was not able to get them to a vet in time and what I have to stop bleeding not good for them. They are back with the others and being comforted. While out I had my very trained sunshine to keep them calm , but instead he was afraid of the blood all over him/her and was clinging to me even more. Sunshine had a bleeding issue once and was rush to a vet hospital then I could not stop the bleeding. It happened because back then I thought he needed his nail clipped , He has learn from the other birds to do it him self now. Love birds can be so rambunctious, from getting out when you are not around, so I lock doors down until I get back.

Sorry, just tired worried. this is stressing me out. Thank you. :heart:

Last edited:

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Where is it bleeding from? Do you have corn starch? Depending on how big/open the wound is, that might stop the bleeding. I know some use it to stop a nail from bleeding, but I'm certainly not a vet. Hopefully others chime in. Can you post a pic?

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I recommend making a paste with cayenne pepper to apply to the wound, it will help stop the bleeding and help the wound. Where is the wound? How bad is it? WHen you say impaled do you mean it is a very deep puncture wound?

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Where is it bleeding from? Do you have corn starch? Depending on how big/open the wound is, that might stop the bleeding. I know some use it to stop a nail from bleeding, but I'm certainly not a vet. Hopefully others chime in. Can you post a pic?
Not sure on the left side by the beak not sure if their tough was involved . We got trough the night, one of the other kids are feeding them. Plan on getting spinach fresh from farmers market.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
I recommend making a paste with cayenne pepper to apply to the wound, it will help stop the bleeding and help the wound. Where is the wound? How bad is it? WHen you say impaled do you mean it is a very deep puncture wound?
It seem deep blood was all over them and everyone else. I think below beak near throat . Right now still in the back of cage and quiet.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Sorry no corn starch , it also look like he had blood in their beak, very scary.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you gotten them to the vet?? How old is your cage??
How are they?

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Have you gotten them to the vet?? How old is your cage??
How are they?
Got the cage this year, yes 5 to many for them , they are about 10 months now , think they are OK for now

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I had birds who lost blood. They can suffer pretty bad issues. It could get infected. I strongly urge you to get them in.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
I had birds who lost blood. They can suffer pretty bad issues. It could get infected. I strongly urge you to get them in.
I know and it seems like a puncture wound, they are very quiet hanging out with a sibling feeding them. Thank you. I'm so upset over this.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I can understand. :hug8:
If they are quieter than usual, I wouldn't waste any time bringing them to the vet. Why is a sibling feeding them?

ddy13

Walking the driveway
I can understand. :hug8:
If they are quieter than usual, I wouldn't waste any time bringing them to the vet. Why is a sibling feeding them?
Not sure, a girl boy thing, I need to separate all of them with new mates. or just divided cages. At the moment they seem a bit more active.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I know you care about them very much, so I'm sure you have this all planned so they get the medical attention they need, but I never saw you mention when will they see a vet?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please get medical attention for these birds if it is not already too late. It is a good idea to have some emergency bird supplies on hand such as corn starch. It does wonders to stop bleeding. Try to relax.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Thank you, have taken the steps needed. To clarify it was just the one love bird still a kid. and they are moving around much better and eating on their own . With eleven love birds two mature from the same mother one of which found a mate not related to them, the original parents to the seven, the five kids starting to show sighs of .... well lets say displaying to any male for which her mother bites her, add one very old and ailing love bird needing 24/7 care. Yes I'm stressed . PS not a breeder, Just care and that makes them thrive. Anyways back on track,
Thank you :hug8:

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
So..he's not going to see a vet?

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
He should definitely be going to see a vet, despite his recent activity in the cage. He may be acting normally, but he may have underlying issues. Take him to a vet ASAP. There may be nothing, but for the sake of the baby, get him checked out.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
He should definitely be going to see a vet, despite his recent activity in the cage. He may be acting normally, but he may have underlying issues. Take him to a vet ASAP. There may be nothing, but for the sake of the baby, get him checked out.
He she is being taken care of , Just as a note the first love bird bleeding also went to the vet, then did not know how to at least slow the bleeding and almost lost him on the way there. Hope this tread gives others at least the time to get to the vet and the help. Thank you.