• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young Budgie

Orangiebee

Moving in
Real Name
Keona
I have a young budgie and I'm trying to introduce fruits and veggies but I am worried about him choking or something. I finely chopped up so cilantro for him but I don't know if it is safe, choking hazard wise. Advise on introducing him to stuff?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How young is this bird. Is he weaned yet? Budgies usually dont eat fruit. Try some soft food like scrambled egg.

Orangiebee

Moving in
Real Name
Keona
I can't say for sure how old he is, he was found in a tree and it seemed someone had released him or something, I have a picture of him right here

Orangiebee

Moving in
Real Name
Keona
How young is this bird. Is he weaned yet? Budgies usually dont eat fruit. Try some soft food like scrambled egg.
I had read that they should have some fruit or vegetables daily, and I want him to be the happiest I can make him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't see the photo.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Based on the striping on the forehead that is a young budgie. Very very cute. It's possible that the person who had the budgie might be looking for him. Did you check lost and found ads online to see if there are any lost ads? You can check here: https://www.911parrotalert.com/
My budgies used to like small pieces of apple. I would remove the skin and also make sure there were no seeds. You could also try some cooked mixed veggies (let them cool before serving) such as carrots and peas.

Orangiebee

Moving in
Real Name
Keona
Based on the striping on the forehead that is a young budgie. Very very cute. It's possible that the person who had the budgie might be looking for him. Did you check lost and found ads online to see if there are any lost ads? You can check here: https://www.911parrotalert.com/
My budgies used to like small pieces of apple. I would remove the skin and also make sure there were no seeds. You could also try some cooked mixed veggies (let them cool before serving) such as carrots and peas.
I Went back all the way to march and there were no reports in my area that looked like him. Thank you for having me look. When you gave them small pieces of apple, did you just put them in their food bowl or should I use something else?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Went back all the way to march and there were no reports in my area that looked like him. Thank you for having me look. When you gave them small pieces of apple, did you just put them in their food bowl or should I use something else?
You can either put the pieces in the food bowl or use a separate food dish for the fruit and veggies. Just make sure that you only leave the fruit and veggies in the cage for a few hours.

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
What a beautiful bird. I do hope you continue to look for his owners :( They must be devastated.

In the meantime here's a video I found helpful in regards to your question:

Orangiebee

Moving in
Real Name
Keona
Thank you all for this help, if I have more questions I’ll be sure to ask you kind people

Orangiebee

Moving in
Real Name
Keona
I just wanted to update you guys on Fred. He’s a lot more social now and is eating well. He started using his mineral rock and is pretty happy. I’ve been checking for anyone looking for a lost budgie, but so far there’s none. I’m enjoying his company and will soon begin hand taming training. Thank you guys for helping me get the ropes

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Keona :)

What a beautiful bird.
Did you check the local lost/found and buy/sell facebook groups for you area? A young girl on the forum recently found her lost dogs via those types of groups.

Very nice of you to care for the bird.
I found a bird 2 years ago and she is still with me. I thought I came close to finding her owner a few months ago but it was a bust.

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Glad to hear he's doing well and that you're taking good care of him! Please continue searching for his owners though, they must miss this pretty bird dearly!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Updates please.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi, Did you find the budgies owner?
Just in the last few days another AA member had found a bird and managed to find the owner by putting up loads of flyers.
You could leave a sign in the police station, post office, local shop, on lamp posts..
Also by using facebook lost/found and buy/sell groups.
I hope you found the owner.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
If you don't find the owner, just want to point out, it's actually a bit safer to feed a bird whole vegetables and fruit. This is how they eat them in the wild; they will know what to do. You can clip them to the cage with wooden clothespins or binder clips. If you chop their food, sometimes birds will eat whole pieces of things without chewing, which can cause crop impaction. It's rare, but it happens, if you are concerned.