• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yet ANOTHER travel cage!!! :)

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I'm most used to the side door on the cage. I think for me anyway, it is easier to put a ladder or rope perch in front of the side door. Not sure if a top opening would work as well for training them to hop in and out. But that's just me...lol

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
As long as he can stare at us and let us know how much he hates us for taking him to the vet, he's okay.
I almost fell off my chair when I read this!!! So funny.

this is what my neighbor did so I could fly my lorikeet. Put more wires on the dog crate door.
I thought about doing something like this - then I read about all the warnings, etc. of metal, and thought of my procrastination when it comes to DIY projects and ... well, you get the idea! ;)

That's my problem exactly. I tried to train Pichu to go inside by himself but he refuses and the budgies aren't tame either, so when we have to use those I have to trick them into a little cage where I can catch them without scaring them to death, then transfer them to the carrier.. I can tell you there is nothing call taking a walk outside for the love of it :( Maybe when Pichu is harness trained then.. next year hopefully. Training goes SLOW!!
Wow, so you have to kind of 'double handle' or whatever when it comes to switching you have to transfer twice. And since I read that yours are eager to get OUT of the cage, the large doors that I love might not be so good for your birds!

That was my thought too! WOW! I love that it is o wheels though. If Packer ever gets comfortable outside the cage, I'll think about this one.
The only thing I could pick on this cage about - if I had one thing to change, and this is hard to explain, but it has these clips where the base attaches to the bars (2 of them) that are called 'F clips' (more about that later) because in the instructional diagram the clip parts happen to be labeled "F". It says in the instructions that the F clips are not to be used when the cage is on the stand. (This is when we began to call them F ' ing Clips, if you get my drift)!
So we twist tied the cage bars to the base, and there are no need for those clips.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm most used to the side door on the cage. I think for me anyway, it is easier to put a ladder or rope perch in front of the side door. Not sure if a top opening would work as well for training them to hop in and out. But that's just me...lol
I'm trying to figure out why you're putting the perches in front of the side door now.... you don't mean yours come OUT of the side doors do you?

To be honest, I wouldn't hop either, so I won't hold grudges here :D
Haaaaa! No hopping? Gee Mom, that's no fun!
I think I left my hopping days behind about 20 years ago okay? ;)

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow, so you have to kind of 'double handle' or whatever when it comes to switching you have to transfer twice. And since I read that yours are eager to get OUT of the cage, the large doors that I love might not be so good for your birds!
Exactly. With the budgies we have the bus so it is working quite well, the step into the bus and I can get them easily from there, but putting them inside the carrier through the top door and keeping them inside while I take my hand out and close the door is tricky.
With Pichu, I have to catch him when he doesn't expect it, or in the dark, which is really a break of trust in my book and I don't like it. But he won't go inside any of the carriers on his own so there..

Big door is OK on my blue/textile carrier since it closes with a zipper, but the little bugger is smart and he knows where my hand creeps in and out, he can creep in and out too...

As for the hopping, I could still hop if I really had too, but yeah, not getting any younger here either... :yoda:

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli

This is mine..$33.00 at Petsmart Canada. Can you believe that they actually reccommend this as a sufficient cage for 1 budgie. Not my budgie that's for sure, is only 12"wide by 12" deep by 18" high. My Diva only travels in it...lol.
It's ridiculous what they SAY is sufficient! I haven't YET found my permanent cage and I'm looking constantly!!! I would like something at LEAST 36x24x24.... a long wide cage... not super tall.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It's ridiculous what they SAY is sufficient! I haven't YET found my permanent cage and I'm looking constantly!!! I would like something at LEAST 36x24x24.... a long wide cage... not super tall.

Yes, isn't it though? You would think when they are giving the advantages of the cages at the pet stores, they would be telling people that bigger is better since the larger ones cost more, right? I think they are used to impulse buyers, so they just sell 'em whatever. :eek:

Let's see if I can find the measurements for Fergus and Fi's cage they live in....
Live in cage: 26"L x 14"W x 36"H with 1/2" wire spacing
Newest travel cage:
Cage Size: 18.1 x 13.9 x 36.2"(LxWxH)
Large Front Door Size: 11.9 x 11.4"(WxH)

I didn't have a still photo of their live-in cage, so I found their first video from May 2018 to show you what size it is!

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
@Fergus Mom

That is NICE! Way better than most I've seen! And with just the two it gives them LOTS of room!
:cheer::cheer:
I would like one about half sgain that size! Then my 4 would have plenty of room! Where did you find that?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I would like one about half sgain that size! Then my 4 would have plenty of room! Where did you find that?

Good ole' Walmart! Here is their cage... the stand is sold separately with this one:
Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage - Walmart.com

It comes in black (like Fergus and Fiona's) or also white bars with blue base.

Here is the stand, boy, it's gone up in price since I bought it! At first I had them on some shelves (plastic), but decided to get the rolling stand after I loved the cage so much.

Prevue Pet Products White Bird Cage Stand for 26" x 14" Base Flight Cages - Walmart.com

Wow!!! (Packer is approving of both bird noise and marching music.)

Oh I know! My Fids LOVE John Phillip Sousa! ;) You would think every week is the fourth of July... LOL!

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
That’s a great cage, however, much too big for travels in our car. Your baby is lucky. ❤❤