• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yet ANOTHER travel cage!!! :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Ya'll just won't believe this - the MASTER haters of travel cages (Goodness knows they have had many) - This is the FOURTH one I have had. Most took months for them to go in, and finally I figured out why. It's the doors! Most of them are really small. The bigger the door, the better they like it. The last one had a huge door all right, but the dang thing was SO heavy, I could barely lift it comfortably.

Anyhow - they got IN this travel cage the VERY FIRST day after it was set up!
I am still in shock. They have now 'traveled' to the living room, as this was the first day I rolled them out of my bedroom, and they even got out to explore it when I left the doors open!

SO HAPPY here! Will post pics soon, but wanted to show ya'll the cage first, and tell you about it.

Rolling Mid-Sized Parrot Bird Cage Cockatiel Conure Parakeet Lovebird Cage - Walmart.com

Brand SmileMart Model 610557 Black
Overall Dimension: 18.1 x 13.9 x 59.3"(LxWxH)
Cage Size: 18.1 x 13.9 x 36.2"(LxWxH)
Large Front Door Size: 11.9 x 11.4"(WxH)
Small Front Door Size: 3.1 x 4.5"(WxH)
Side Door Size: 3.1 x 4.3"(WxH)
Price was $52.59

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:wideyed: That's quite a playstand they have there. And they obviously approve. Great job, Mom! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That’s so awesome they like it! Fergus and Fiona, roll out!

Now I'm thinking of Frankie Laine .... Rollin' rollin' rollin' .... but it's keep those birdies rollin'! (vs cows I mean LOL)

:wideyed: That's quite a playstand they have there. And they obviously approve. Great job, Mom! :thumbsup:

Thanks Karen!

Wow..nice big cage...are they exploring your house now...lol?

No... they haven't been out enough in living room to feel comfy enough to come out too many times yet! Hopefully they will STAY in the living room, cuz I sure don't want to take another chance with them in the kitchen (Fergus little adventure after Fiona came when he was showing out and went behind the darn stove!)

This is a travel cage? :blink:

I know, right?! Sometimes Walmart asks you to review stuff, and I can just picture all these folks reading the reviews thinking - What the ?? But it's the only one that I could find that was lightweight enough AND had those huge doors, so as long as I can lift it, I didn't care. Of course, we've yet to go out to the porch yet either, cuz it's still 95 F degrees here (35C) and that is way too hot for me or the royal pair to venture out there! ;)

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I know, right?! Sometimes Walmart asks you to review stuff, and I can just picture all these folks reading the reviews thinking - What the ?? But it's the only one that I could find that was lightweight enough AND had those huge doors, so as long as I can lift it, I didn't care. Of course, we've yet to go out to the porch yet either, cuz it's still 95 F degrees here (35C) and that is way too hot for me or the royal pair to venture out there! ;)
:wideyed: How can this be lightweight?? And you can lift it but it'll never go in the car? My definition of a travel cage is as small as possible to travel from one place to the other, and not to keep the birds inside for longer periods of time.
This are mine:
transportbur-fagel-s2LAOg.jpg which opens on the top so there is no way the birds will jump inside and it is not easy to open it without birds jumping out

43040-136959-33439_1_g.jpg which is too dark so my birds don't want to go inside. I've opened the light blue parts and replaced them with bird net but it still too enclosed

:depressed:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This is the one I have for CHirp. I wanted to get him one of those hard-sided dog crates, as I've heard those are the safest, but the bar spacing on the front is too big on every one I've seen. So i got this one at my local pet shop. It's solid, hard-sided and plastic, so hopefully if anything happens Chirp will stand more of a chance at survival. It's small, easy to carry, very secure.
Amazon.com : Living World 60898 Paws2Go Small Animal Carrier, Grey/Blue : Pet Supplies

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

This is mine..$33.00 at Petsmart Canada. Can you believe that they actually reccommend this as a sufficient cage for 1 budgie. Not my budgie that's for sure, is only 12"wide by 12" deep by 18" high. My Diva only travels in it...lol.
Yeah, it is a shame to see what they would have us use for our birds...
But what do you mean with travel cage then? Is it a cage you use while on vacations or only to go from one place to the other?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This is the one I have for CHirp. I wanted to get him one of those hard-sided dog crates, as I've heard those are the safest, but the bar spacing on the front is too big on every one I've seen. So i got this one at my local pet shop. It's solid, hard-sided and plastic, so hopefully if anything happens Chirp will stand more of a chance at survival. It's small, easy to carry, very secure.
Amazon.com : Living World 60898 Paws2Go Small Animal Carrier, Grey/Blue : Pet Supplies
It has the same problem as mine: very enclosed and opening on the top.. I think I'll end up buying a back pack carrier, or maybe sew one myself.. At least It would be exactly what I want!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yeah, it is a shame to see what they would have us use for our birds...
But what do you mean with travel cage then? Is it a cage you use while on vacations or only to go from one place to the other?
It is what I use as her sleep cage as well as if we have to take her to my daughter's while we are away. She is never in it as we also bring her a playstation or two...lol

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It is what I use as her sleep cage as well as if we have to take her to my daughter's while we are away. She is never in it as we also bring her a playstation or two...lol
So it is more of a sleep/week end cage then. You got me worried, I really thought you were traveling with that!! If you have a caravan maybe :roflmao:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yayy glad you found one they approve of!

Can’t wait to see adventure pics :laughing12:

Me too - you can't imagine how happy I will be if we ever get sweater weather here! ;)

:wideyed: How can this be lightweight?? And you can lift it but it'll never go in the car? My definition of a travel cage is as small as possible to travel from one place to the other, and not to keep the birds inside for longer periods of time.
This are mine:
View attachment 315407 which opens on the top so there is no way the birds will jump inside and it is not easy to open it without birds jumping out

View attachment 315408 which is too dark so my birds don't want to go inside. I've opened the light blue parts and replaced them with bird net but it still too enclosed

:depressed:

I like the red one! Of course, since mine are not really tame, (only jumping on my finger for millet when they feel like it), I would have the problem of switching cages, which is another reason mine will stay in the new travel cage if we go somewhere (even besides the porch ha ha) Believe it or not it lists the weight on the new cage I bought as 16 pounds, (and I think that would be stand included), and the other one I had was around 22 pounds... just too heavy for me and my hernia I'm not even supposed to be lifting stuff with this stupid ventral hernia.

This is mine..$33.00 at Petsmart Canada. Can you believe that they actually reccommend this as a sufficient cage for 1 budgie. Not my budgie that's for sure, is only 12"wide by 12" deep by 18" high. My Diva only travels in it...lol.

I know - they're nuts when it comes to selling those tiny cages to people that don't know better. I love that for a travel cage - so cheery looking. and I have a similar one in yellow LOL! I need to sell some cages, really!

It looks very durable for sure - though I would want to SEE mine more LOL! Guess I'm a worry wart.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It has the same problem as mine: very enclosed and opening on the top.. I think I'll end up buying a back pack carrier, or maybe sew one myself.. At least It would be exactly what I want!
I actually really like the opening on the top- it allows us to get him out at the vet while minimizing the chances of him slipping out and flying around the room. As for the enclosed nature of it, Chirp doesn't seem to mind much. As long as he can stare at us and let us know how much he hates us for taking him to the vet, he's okay.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I actually really like the opening on the top- it allows us to get him out at the vet while minimizing the chances of him slipping out.
I have the opposite problem. All my birds try to slip out when we open the top door, I'd rather have one on the side. And they of course refuse to jump in, it would make it easier and more relaxed to use the carrier if they went inside on their own so I've tried to train Pichu to that, no way. It is too scary to jump down into something!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I like the red one! Of course, since mine are not really tame, (only jumping on my finger for millet when they feel like it), I would have the problem of switching cages
That's my problem exactly. I tried to train Pichu to go inside by himself but he refuses and the budgies aren't tame either, so when we have to use those I have to trick them into a little cage where I can catch them without scaring them to death, then transfer them to the carrier.. I can tell you there is nothing call taking a walk outside for the love of it :( Maybe when Pichu is harness trained then.. next year hopefully. Training goes SLOW!!