• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yesterday was one of the hardest days at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyjaygrl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
As a Vet tech, at a place that does euthanasia, you would think sometimes that I might get numb to it, but I don't. I have been there 5 years and I cry for everyone and they are not even mine.

Yesterday was hard and I had only met the dog 1 time before.

She was a 17 year old fat little dachund, looked almost like a coffee table flat back but oh so round, the long hair. She was deaf, blind, urinating and pooping all over the house. It was her time, but I think every goodbye is sad or at least bittersweet even if it is the beloved's pets time.

But what got me was the owner was a woman in her 50's and she had her sister with her who had either sever autism or was mentally "R" worded and she was asking questions and I was answering them as I do to the children who come in, no it isn't going to hurt, she is going to go to sleep then we will put in the medicene that makes her go to heaven, yes you can hold, yes it is ok to cry.

She kept asking her siter if she was going to sleep then they would bring her home, over and over again and her sister who was also losing her dog had to keep repeating no she wasn't coming home, she was going to heaven.

The poor dog had no veins, it was a hard euthanasia and I felt so bad for my vet doing it.

She went peacefully, but I had to go behind a closed door and cry.

I felt so bad for both of them. But having and high functioning spectrum child I get the questions, and the repeating.

And how the grief will come to her even years later, and I cried for both of them.

If I actually drank some days at my office would really make drink. Yesterday might have been one, this is one that is going to stay with me for a while.

Sorry for dumping but I thought you guys might understand. The rainbow bridge has another baby, and she is young and skinny again, able to see, hear and run and one day her favorite people will meet her there.

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
I work at an ER vet hospital and we handle a lot of euthanasias. I've grown numb to it, but every once in awhile one will get me. At least she is in a better place.:sadhug2:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:sadhug:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
:hug8:I commend you and others in your work of field for what you do.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I had tears reading this, I can empathise as I have a sister who struggles to understand the processes of life when previous pets of ours passed and it adds to the pain when you need to go over things again and again. I commend your work, I couldn't do it, I would lose it too much and would go to pieces. :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Tearing up as I read this....I could never do your job...thank you for caring....hugs

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Wulfgeist

Strolling the yard
That is such a sad story and one of the reasons why I never finished my training. I'm not sure I could handle that part of the practice.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
I work with 3 vets, the female and owner crys at every one and says a soft goodbye go free everytime. I am the one they send to the people who are going to be balling or other such things, I have a huge heart and want to hug everyone ( typically do) I hold hands, rub backs, or what ever is needed.

ANd if owners can't be there, I hold the animal and kiss it goodbye, I know that it may be too hard for the owner to witness, but I feel like the animal needs someone there.

I have to say sometimes it is actually a wonderful thing. I work with the whole life cycle and death is part of it. I get to see humans go through all the emotions. I have learned a lot.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It is a very hard thing for those of us to go through and even though my love of living creatures I could never work at a shelter or be a Vet tech because of this. I commend you in your position for what you do. You remind me of the Receptionist who told me she would go sit with Shadow after we left.

I feel for you and I know the feeling being the one who cannot stay in there. I was one of them in Dec and I still cannot believe that he is gone. I will forever be changed by this last one, he was a one and only to me. I have my other two rescues but god I miss a sheltie around my feet, just miss him so deeply it just sucks.

southernbirds

I cannot tell you how beautifully you wrote of your heart wrenching experience in your office. Please know that your kind soul was felt by everyone in the room. Having had to put a dog to sleep many years ago, I know that the empathy & kindness of the staff was so important to me & my husband. Now we have two senior dogs once again. I hope that when the time comes, there will be a person like you to help the pet and us ease the way for our dog's peaceful passing. I hope you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing your story. It was very touching.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you for being such a loving caring person to do such a difficult line of work in this life.
Like Clare I know what it feels like to lose our old sick pets and just had to say goodbye to not one but two at the same time.
Our vet brought along one of the nurses and put our two to sleep at home so we could bury them and know they will never really leave us.It is a heartbreaking time, but all i have to do is think of them suffering and know that they are now at peace and feeling no more pain.
That is the hard part of having pets and loving them so much, but would not change anything to know that we had a good happy life together and nothing or nobody can take that away from us.
What I cannot come to terms with is Leroy our Grey calling for Beau our sheltie on a daily basis but it is getting less as time goes by. God bless.:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
You are a hero for being able to do that job and bring comfort to those grieving and making their hardest decision. Bless you.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Like I am often saying to others. Take time to recharge your own batteries and look after yourself as you are so needed in this life. God bless.:hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Euthanasia is a blessing for those who are suffering through a painful or hard death. I have often wished euthanasia was available for some of my patients in the past. But that is a big political issue, of course. Thank the Goddess the animals at least have the option.

It is so very difficult to assist with an euthanasia as the pet's owner and I figure it must be equally as hard as the vet or vet assistant and having to do so very many. But it is a blessing for those sick and suffering animals to not have to suffer and those people are angels for helping them.

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
I worked as a kennel technician at a local vet's office just to see if I really wanted to be a vet, after about 3 euthanasias I couldn't handle it anymore. I respect the people in your position because I could not be able to handle it.
When I took Joon, my cat, to be euthanized every technician shed some tears with my father and I, I always hope that no one has to experience the loss of a pet, having them go peacefully at night sometimes seems easier than letting them go yourself. But, that pup is a healthy pooch playing in heaven, thank you for what you do :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.