• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wow. Y’all.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:laugh: That’s awesome for her!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Love! :heart:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Maybe it will help open him up a bit. :heart:

Jenks was the same way. His previous owner had long dark hair and was a chubby girl. I also have long dark hair and am a chubby girl too so we think that is why he took right to me.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She came over here tonight just to mess with Toby. He adores her.

If I can’t strike a bond with him, she’s more than likely going to adopt him.

I’m jealous, but I love watching them interact.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's great!!!

Kodigirl210

It will work out then. You found Toby a loving home and you’re now prepared to get the Amazon of your :heart: bird! So really, you did what you set out to do. Maybe not the way you planned it but I really believe that things do happen like they are supposed to on occasion. And this seems like one of those times :D

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Amazing! And wonderful.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is your mother-in-law a bird person???

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
Is he an african grey? He sure is cute. :p

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart::heart::heart:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Soooooo. He will let me touch him while my mother in law is beside his cage. And I mean I gave him scritches several times. I thought we were getting somewhere. The second she leaves, he bites me when I try to do it :(

Kodigirl210

Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately it does make sense though. If he sees your MIL as the same as the previous owner then it means you had “permission” to give him scritches because she was there. Once she’s gone you no longer have it. If your MIL is a frequent guest then it’s unlikely he will bond to you because as far as he’s concerned his hooman is still there somewhere. He may be very confused as to why she isn’t there all the time or he isn’t with her instead of you but he’s not confused over who he’s choosing. And they also have prodigious memories. Your MIL staying away for a month or two won’t change how Toby feels and even if he just hears her voice on the phone it will reinforce that she’s out there. I wish it could be different because it sounds like you really care for Toby but while we can choose to put our hopes & heart out there, they also choose whether they accept them or not. :sadhug2:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately it does make sense though. If he sees your MIL as the same as the previous owner then it means you had “permission” to give him scritches because she was there. Once she’s gone you no longer have it. If your MIL is a frequent guest then it’s unlikely he will bond to you because as far as he’s concerned his hooman is still there somewhere. He may be very confused as to why she isn’t there all the time or he isn’t with her instead of you but he’s not confused over who he’s choosing. And they also have prodigious memories. Your MIL staying away for a month or two won’t change how Toby feels and even if he just hears her voice on the phone it will reinforce that she’s out there. I wish it could be different because it sounds like you really care for Toby but while we can choose to put our hopes & heart out there, they also choose whether they accept them or not. :sadhug2:
I was afraid of that.
And here almost every day to see my kids. So what do I do now? Wait out the 2 months and go from there? She can’t foster him at the moment because of some medical issues with her niece. I feel so defeated.

Kodigirl210

I’m truly sorry. If she is there almost every day then there is almost no chance of him bonding to you. He’s made it clear that he’s a one bird person. I think that even if she were to do pass over from her to you, he would only accept it as long as she was there or as long as he sensed no affection from you.

My ex’s CAG is the same way. Jake will let you move him around, feed him, clean his cage or any of the other necessary things but he will not allow you to give him scritches or play with or anything that is reserved for a bonded. Their beaks are wicked and they don’t hesitate to use them. I still have scars on my hands 8yrs later.

So I guess it depends on what you want from Toby. If you can be just a caretaker then that would probably work. If you want a bond I would say that’s out. If your MIL can’t take him right now, then maybe you can hold on long enough for her to be able to?

Have you tried having him step up since the MIL was there? Will he still do it for you?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was afraid of that.
And here almost every day to see my kids. So what do I do now? Wait out the 2 months and go from there? She can’t foster him at the moment because of some medical issues with her niece. I feel so defeated.
She can see your kids every day but not foster Toby??

If Toby lets you love on him when she is there, stay with it.

MC does that with my hubby.