• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you get a Quaker again?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had a quaker as my first parrot and that turned out to be my soul bird. He was absolutely perfect in every single way. So when he passed away in December of last year I knew I'd definitely get another.

I just got my 2nd quaker, about 3 weeks ago, and though this one's way different I don't regret it one bit.

Quakers are like big parrots in little bodies and they're so much fun and have so much personality! The only thing that's a little tough with my new bird is the cage territorial behavior (my first bird was way more tolerant of me being in it) But that's a quaker thing, and probably true of many other species so I just respect it and try to work around it.

I'm definitely no expert but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Definitely. Quakers are wonderful. I have been owned by one for ten years. Quakers are amazing birds, they are great companions. Tons of personality and spunk.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love my quaker personalities, their goofiness, and their spunk. I don't even mind the cage aggression as it's pretty easy to get around.

Their scream, however, has become a stress and anxiety trigger for me so I don't know that I would get another one again, but only because of my own mental health issues. Nothing to do with the birds themselves, really.

allie136

Strolling the yard
Their scream, however, has become a stress and anxiety trigger for me so I don't know that I would get another one again, but only because of my own mental health issues. Nothing to do with the birds themselves, really.
I've read a lot of people on here finding them quite loud, but in my research on other websites they are supposedly 'quiet/low noise level' which is a big attraction for me. It seems they are very quiet birds if kept as the only bird or even as a pair, but are greatly influenced by other birds which causes them to become loud if they live with more birds or are a rehome after living with other birds. I would only get two birds maximum, so hopefully their noise level would stay low..

Thank you for everyone's replies. I wonder about the attitude you mention, not sure that's what I'm looking for :wideyed:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was a foster mom for a quaker and this bird was the loudest I have ever experienced. Never again.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Quakers can definitely be loud, even kept as single birds.

There was a time when my old quaker, who passed away, was so loud I worried about getting kicked out of my apartment. Luckily no one said anything but I always worried they might.

I could hear him outside, far away, with all the windows closed. He kind of calmed down with that after a few years.

My new quaker has moments of ear splitting screeches every now and then , that reach a high pitched tone my old quaker never made. Doesn't happen frequently but when it does I can feel it in my ear drums.

The content talking and chirping go on almost all day, other than when Blu is eating or playing. But it's pretty loud too.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read a lot of people on here finding them quite loud, but in my research on other websites they are supposedly 'quiet/low noise level' which is a big attraction for me. It seems they are very quiet birds if kept as the only bird or even as a pair, but are greatly influenced by other birds which causes them to become loud if they live with more birds or are a rehome after living with other birds. I would only get two birds maximum, so hopefully their noise level would stay low..

Thank you for everyone's replies. I wonder about the attitude you mention, not sure that's what I'm looking for :wideyed:
Have you ever met one in real life? Is there any way you could so you could hear them?

allie136

Strolling the yard
I don't know of anyone who owns a Quaker, the few people I've mentioned them to have never heard about them or green cheek conure's which I'm also looking at. I have listened to a few youtube vids of both birds being incredibly loud screeching, but the owners say it isn't their normal noise level. Of the two it appears Quakers are louder, correct me if I'm wrong on that?

I also found a couple of video's of people having a Quaker and GCC as pets together interacting and the Quaker was larger! It's hard to tell their real sizes from just reading about them because the length on websites is all including the tail length, which of course is much longer on a conure, so very helpful to see they are actually a smaller bird -body size, than a Quaker.

But then quakers don't seem to need as much time spent with them, more independent than a conure, which is good but some owners have said their conure's don't need much 'cuddle' time, so maybe it depends on how you raise the baby bird being clingy to you or giving it less time together so it's used to that and is more independent.

Last edited:

MrPickles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
I am a new quaker mommy so I don't have any advice. just that so far I don't find our quaker loud at all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All of the stuff you "know" about noise is very dependent on the bird.

Jingo: at his quietest, he screamed 5 hours a day. At his worst, be screamed 10. He is better with other birds, hates being a single bird. Doesn't like cuddles but needs a LOT of attention. Had him from a baby.

Bobber: quiet, only screams when alarmed or a few times a day. Does okay as a single bird but prefers being in a flock. He's handsoff but loves attention. He's a rehome.

Mecco: she plucks if she's the only bird. She's relatively quiet like Bobber but needs to be in the action, too. She's a rehome.

All are louder than my green cheek was, but not as shrill. All are larger than my green cheek was but she was tiny lol. I'd say quakers are bulkier, have smaller eyes, and a smaller beak to body size than green cheeks.

Yes, quakers are quieter than a macaw. But you can hear them a few blocks away with the Windows closed. So noise level is relative to not only the bird, but the person hearing it.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Noise level definitely depends on the bird. Jasper is very loud. He can be heard down the block on some days. He was loud as an only bird and also as a pair.

Gilbert is also loud, but she only screams when I'm cleaning the cage. The pair of them can be ear piercing at times. That's what ear plugs are for.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have two. They don't scream but they have uniquebird speak vocalizations the younger one learned from the older one. They are very lovable inspite of random nipping by the older one. He's 23 and thinks I should put up with it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I did. When Kiwi died suddenly from pneumonia (2006-2008, RIP), I got first JJ and then Baby Blue. Why? Because I missed the Quaker everything - attitude, ability to talk, humor and personality. After Baby, I adopted "Edie" aka "Miss" Daisy aka jaws and Loofa. I didn't expect anyone to replace Kiwi and no one fid is like Kiwi though Loofa comes the closest thanks to her former parront @prettyinpink. They don't scream very much at all. The real screamer in the house is Tikki sun.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have 6 Quakers, along with 2 other birds. If I had more room, I would love more Quakers. All 6 of mine, have their own personalities, some have funny habits, Such as Bubba, he taps on everything, then says "beep,beep,beep, Quakers are my favorite birds. 5 out of my 6 talk. Bailey stopped talking after her 1st mate died, She has not talked since. I love them all, they are like little clowns, they are fun, and loving.They are not loud, They do seem to know , when its their playtimes out and or supper time, as they will put up a semi screaming hissy fit, letting me know . but other then that they are quite good. I work 12 hour shifts, And they are good at letting me sleep at least 6 hours, before they do their alarm call,LOL Before I leave for work, I always tell them I going to work, and they seem to understand. They are quite smart. I love them very much.

allie136

Strolling the yard
Thank you quaker owners! Very helpful although a mixture of quiet and loud experiences with these birds. I have read a lot more about them being loud and to the point of being able to hear them down the street with all windows closed and it can be for long time periods, is honestly enough to rule them off my list...I think.

All are louder than my green cheek was, but not as shrill. All are larger than my green cheek was but she was tiny lol. I'd say quakers are bulkier, have smaller eyes, and a smaller beak to body size than green cheeks.
I will listen to some green cheeks being loud next, see what that is like and if it's just quick short noises not ongoing like the Quakers can be. Good comparison description right there, a smaller body to beak size. The green cheek I saw in the pet store was a small bird except for it's tail and that beak.