• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you get a Quaker again?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I really love the eyes....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Tina Marie, is very talented, She made a beautiful painting for 1 of my friends, of all her birds.
She has some beautiful things. The tiel portrait in one of the bid packages was done by her and I have her Xmas cards too. very, very talented which is why I included her FB page. She'll do custom portraits though she has an assortment of fid things like coasters, calendars, carry-alls, t-shirts and of course art work to hang on walls.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
so the territorial thing...how do u guys get around it to clean the cage without losing a finger!? do you re arrange their perches and toys etc? how do you do this without going crazy? I had a lorikeet and he never was protective of his cage..only my shoes! and since he could never fly i did re arrange his cage every fortnight to keep him moving and interested..same with is gym....but for aquaker that wont let you near their cage? are females worse than males in this way?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
so the territorial thing...how do u guys get around it to clean the cage without losing a finger!? do you re arrange their perches and toys etc? how do you do this without going crazy? I had a lorikeet and he never was protective of his cage..only my shoes! and since he could never fly i did re arrange his cage every fortnight to keep him moving and interested..same with is gym....but for aquaker that wont let you near their cage? are females worse than males in this way?

Both protect the nest/ cage equally. Mine are at the point where I can usually clean the cage without incident, but rearranging I have to lock them in a travel cage while I do it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My two boys who are caged separately don't have a problem with having food/water changed or my giving them "sticks" for their nest building but they get protective of their timothy grass huts. The girls who share a cage, on the other hand, will chase me around the inside no matter what I'm trying to do. Off the cage 3 out of 4 are friendly. Daisy is a little unpredictable but she was found as an injured feral Quaker and doesn't put up with anything from anyone.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Daisy is a little unpredictable but she was found as an injured feral Quaker and doesn't put up with anything from anyone.
Sandra, of all your Quakers, I think I love Daisy the most...:heart:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu is pretty tolerant of me messing with his cage. But once in a while he goes for me fingers when I put his veggie kabob on. I usually just try to redirect him to another part of the cage by telling him "come over here" and tapping on another part till he goes over there. Then I move quickly. But he's gotten so much better about me being at his cage that I usually don't have to do that anymore.

If your quaker can't be distracted I would think placing him somewhere else for a bit while you do what you have to do would be the best option.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Sandra, of all your Quakers, I think I love Daisy the most...:heart:
"Miss" Daisy is quite the card. She's "mellowing" a little but that still means you have to watch her posture and feathers whenever you try to pet her head. She also won't step up forwards, only backwards. No shoulder privileges I'm afraid as she sometime has the tendency to just take a random bite at neck/shoulders/chin so lesson learned. And her walk is the classic Quaker walk = are you talking to me???? - swagger and all. Wearing closed footwear is also advised at all times specially if "we" are out walking around with the chickens (tiels) checking out ground foraging. ;)

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
thanks for the reply guys... :) the travel cage is something i would consider while working to clean up etc...something to think about along the way.

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
My first Quaker just passed on earlier this week. She had special needs so she had some differences behaviorally from a neurotypical Quaker, but her companionship is hard to beat and I could definitely see myself trying my hand at another Quaker in the future.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Mabel
I am very sorry for your loss.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
Geez so hard to choose. I read every post bcuz husband wanted a Quaker and I wanted a green cheek (we had one who passed a few months ago) . Pretty sure reading thru these, I'm getting a green cheek again. Btw he didnt like us in his cage, BUT, I could say Step Up, then he would get on my finger and he would allow me to mess with his cage, as long as he was either on my finger ,my shoulder or in another room he just did not like me in his cage while he was in it .kind of like you might not want someone in the bathroom when you're in there .that's just sort of how I looked at it. He LOVED to snuggle, he LOVED to play alone in the pots & pans cupboard. He talked in context. He put HIMSELF to bed in his cage when i dimmed the lights & asked if he was ready for night night, then I'd say night night to each budgie with him on my head id cover budgie cage, then cover his cage, flip up part of the cover,exposing the door, & leave the door open, then he'd kiss me & fly to his cage & get in. I never closed it til i knew he was asleep. I tried to respect his autonomy, as long as it was safe. He was my friend. I could talk for hours about him...

Last edited: