• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried and need some comfort....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
In March my fiancees cat passed away due to intestinal cancer. He lost weight rapidly, threw up a lot but mostly liquid and was extremely lethargic. It's always been assumed since my boy's mother Morgan was a stray in the same neighborhood that she got her cat that they likely had the same father a big grey tomcat stray that haunted the area. The doctor did say it was genetic and I've been fretting since then.

I introduced the cats to a limited ingredient diet food to help them lose weight since I'm worried about their weight. Captain in particular is a VERY fat cat weighing in at around 18 pounds and he had gotten to the point he was snoring and sometimes had problems grooming himself. A very real worry. He HAS dropped weight since introducing the food which was to be expected, but he's been throwing up. Now this isn't out of the ordinary. He's always had a habit of inhaling his food or wet food and getting sick. He's always been like this, it's just Captain behavior.

Today he went through a dry heaving session and I remembered Hudson and it was like my stomach clenched up and everything seemed terrifying. I offered him some treats and he ignored them entirely. It was after he had just tried to yak, but he rarely ignores food. Now all I can think of is Hudson and I'm wrapped in knots about it. next month we get an extra pay check and it's vet visit time for him and my other girl Morgan for update on shots and the like. Now all I can think is should I take him in early? Am I just being overly worried because of what happened a few months ago and trying to draw comparisons?

And a very small part of me is terrified now of taking him to the vet for fear she'll tell me what happened to Hudson is happening to Captain. That my time with him is limited. I gathered him up and cried earlier because I was scared. He's my heart cat. I hate playing favorites but I love him the most. He's always been the one I've cried on and has always loved me especially. He's a little dumb and strange, but I love that about him. I hope I'm worrying for nothing. I picked up a bag of his old cat food to see if maybe that would change things. I'm going to start watching his every move and making sure he's eating and going to the bathroom alright. I just needed to vent my worries right now.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
It is natural to have those feelings, concerns and fears given what you went through. There are so many possible explanations beyond cancer, but given the trauma you experienced it is natural to be having flash backs and anxiety. At least, I know I would be feeling the same way if I were in that situation.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about cats, but if it were a dog I would give very small but frequent portions in order to help him not inhale his food. I don't know if it works the same for cats though. And also make small quantities of dry food available. Did the vomiting start when you changed to the different food or was it much after that? There are so many things - from having a stomach upset to a hair ball, etc., and hopefully a trip to the vet will help put your mind at ease.
:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awwww I'm so sorry. I can see how you're upset. Try not to worry before you know anything. I know, that's near impossible. Hopefully he just has a stomach upset from the new food, or maybe he's constipated. Cats will refuse food and throw up with constipation, or maybe he has a bad hairball problem....it could be anything. My thoughts are with you.

If he keeps vomiting, and is refusing water and food, I would take him in early, for sure. Cats can become dehydrated very quickly and that's hard on their kidneys.

My cat died from stomach cancer a few years ago, and it was a very hard thing. Hugs to you and your fiancee over losing Hudson. :hug8:

k9nurse

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda Oswald
Couple of things... How old is Captain? How often does he vomit? What is the consistency of the vomit? Is he eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally? Any eye/nose discharge? Sneezing or coughing?

If he vomits due to eating too fast, put a large rock in his dish so he has to eat around it. Limited ingredient diets are usually fed to animals with food allergies, does he have any? Was he vomiting like this prior to the food change? Sometimes cats can be sensitive to certain proteins in food.

Unfortunately, veterinary medicine, while it has come a long way, still doesn't have all the answers regarding cancers in our pets. I don't know how much stock I would personally put in to what the vet said about being hereditary. What kind of cancer was it?

I would recommend going to the vet. However, to get the answers you are looking for you are likely looking at bloodwork, xrays or a mylegram and some type of biopsy. I think I would start with the exam and bloodwork and go from there. If Captain is older, and given the fact he is overweight, he may have an issue with his liver or kidneys. Or, he may simply be eating too fast.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer you, but I'll keep you guys in my thoughts. Praying for a simple solution and many healthy years to come.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have nothing to offer but :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cats vomit for a lot of reasons. One is eating too fast, another is to get rid of hairballs; neither of these reasons are due to illness. If you are afraid your cat is ill, get him to the vet now. Please.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Pray for captain please. We're going to the mergency vet now. Captain is jaundiced and in liver failure I think. Please..someone post this on the candlelight forum. I just found it while giving him a good lookover.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Despite having 2 cats I know nothing about vomiting. If you noticed it with this food I'd suggest trying another type of food. Is the "dry heaving" hairballs?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:hug8: Thinking of you, your fiancee and Captain.

Please keep us updated if you can. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,many prayers for you and Captain :hug8:

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
:hug8:my thoughts are with you...:heart:

k9nurse

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda Oswald
Oh Kristen, my heart goes out to you all. Please keep us updated when you can.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Kristen I already posted in the candle light thread but I wanted to give you guys hugs here also. :hug8: Prayers that Captain starts feeling better soon.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8::hug8:

Shes_so_european

Meeting neighbors
:hug8: So sorry about the loss of your other cat. The fear of losing captain the same way is completely normal and happens. But I am sure that he is fine. I gather my Lion-O every time I go to moms. So I know how you feel. :hug8: :tiel: :tag:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I certainly understand your problem. I have a 15 year old who is losing weight and refusing to eat much. I know she is going down hill, but I am afraid to find out what is wrong. But it is time to find out. We go to the vet the end of the week. Then I will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.