• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Worried about Java's foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just noticed this spot today as I was trimming his nails.
View attachment 282262
View attachment 282263
His nails are growing really fast so I'll probably take him to the vet to have his nails trimmed and to have those two spots looked at. His new cage has been set up for a few days, and I was going to give him another week before I moved him in but now I'm thinking I need to do it now. Thoughts? I've put aloe and coconut oil on his foot and wrapped it, but does anyone know what those spots are?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They are irritation on the foot from standing on it constantly with twice the weight that it should have. Those spots could turn into bumble foot. Why don't you try putting Vit. E oil on those spots, vit. E is part of the bodies lubricating system. I'm not much of a fan of either aloe or coconut oil (neither is my vet).

Put him in the cage now. His foot needs the relief. Why are you waiting anyway?

Edit - The spots on Jasper's feet went away within a couple of weeks of her sleeping in the padded sleep cage and haven't come back.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why are you waiting anyway?
I was waiting for him to get used to it so it wouldn't be much of a shocker
I'm getting ready to put him in

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Considering that Java only has one foot and that foot bears all of his weight. It's going to get rubbed on alot. They lose their scales if it's rubbed on a bunch. Keep a eye on it, I know that you have padded out his perches, but like I have said before you may need to put some type of platform padded so he can rest his non footed side on it. That would give his foot a rest.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Java probably won't be shocked and his health for his ONE foot is much more important than a little surprise for him. I assume that you have the bottom of his new cage padded and no perches that aren't well padded nor higher than a couple of inches. Make sure that he has the rolled up towel so he can use it as a perch and to lean on while sleeping.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java probably won't be shocked and his health for his ONE foot is much more important than a little surprise for him. I assume that you have the bottom of his new cage padded and no perches that aren't well padded nor higher than a couple of inches. Make sure that he has the rolled up towel so he can use it as a perch and to lean on while sleeping.
Yes there are several layers of padding everywhere and everything is low for him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good - go for it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I agree move him into the new cage.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
That looks really comfy.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
That looks like a very cozy Bachelor Pad. ;)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He looks happy enough. Lurch was THRILLED when I gave him his new much bigger cage, but he still liked to set on his old house that I didn't put away for a while. A new house also fixed his cage aggression quite a bit too as I think he didn't have it claimed like his old small place.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Hankmacaw is there a way of cleaning poop off Java's foot? He ends up stepping in it and smearing it all over his foot. Is there an easier way of keeping his foot clean without having to wait for him to hang on the cage bars for me to wipe it through the bars? It's not easy trying to clean it while he's trying to avoid me

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm.... I don't if this will work for Java but when Zane's feet were dirty I use to wash them in the sink. But he had two feet so it was easy for him to balance on one while I cleaned the other. How is Java with you handling his feet? Judging from your photo he's pretty good about it :) So maybe that might work for Java?? If he isn't avoiding you of course

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm.... I don't if this will work for Java but when Zane's feet were dirty I use to wash them in the sink. But he had two feet so it was easy for him to balance on one while I cleaned the other. How is Java with you handling his feet? Judging from your photo he's pretty good about it :) So maybe that might work for Java?? If he isn't avoiding you of course
I just pulled him out of the cage and put him in the sink with some warm water, which cleaned everything up but he kept flapping around because he couldn't steady himself even though I was holding him. The only way I can tend to his foot is by laying him on his back and doing it that way but he gets very nippy, and it takes longer than it should. I'll admit, it's exhausting staying on top of it but I know it needs to be done. I'm hoping he'll eventually calm down and let me treat him without him freaking out. Poor guy

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Awww poor guy!! I hope he gets better with it too. I get feeling exhausted by it. I felt that way with Zane when he would go through really bad periods with keeping his collar on. But like Java he was definitely worth it. Hang in there!! Try to do a little self care and treat yourself to something nice :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi!

Up until the last month it was either a spray bottle shower or This is gonna sound weird. Buddy would stand on this huge stainless Dog bowl that I'd fill w/ water (like it was a inner tube or a boat) then I put the tub on. Between me using a cup/small handled plastic bowl to (sort of spoon) water over his back ect... Never in the head. I'd use the spray bottle for that.

I will say the spray btl. took time. I think when he was a baby it may have been a punishment. I had no way to know for sure. Back then most information came from books re: birdys. If my Dad did this it was from lack of knowing better.

Anyway. Maybe you could just use the spray btl. to do his feet. I can tell you w/ the tub he'll be able to open his wings if you have him facing you.

:gbh:

Status
Not open for further replies.