• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Worried about Java's foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I just pulled him out of the cage and put him in the sink with some warm water, which cleaned everything up but he kept flapping around because he couldn't steady himself even though I was holding him. The only way I can tend to his foot is by laying him on his back and doing it that way but he gets very nippy, and it takes longer than it should. I'll admit, it's exhausting staying on top of it but I know it needs to be done. I'm hoping he'll eventually calm down and let me treat him without him freaking out. Poor guy
I wonder if putting some thing in the sink like rubber protecter that you use to protect dishes from the hard surface would help. Non spill a place to grip

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if putting some thing in the sink like rubber protecter that you use to protect dishes from the hard surface would help. Non spill a place to grip
I've tried that. Once I'm holding him, it's a nightmare trying to put him down. He clings onto my shirt and bites anyone that tries to help pry him off. When I finally manage to put him down, he panics, looking for anyway to get back to me. If I don't get him immediately, he kind of freezes.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi!

Up until the last month it was either a spray bottle shower or This is gonna sound weird. Buddy would stand on this huge stainless Dog bowl that I'd fill w/ water (like it was a inner tube or a boat) then I put the tub on. Between me using a cup/small handled plastic bowl to (sort of spoon) water over his back ect... Never in the head. I'd use the spray bottle for that.

I will say the spray btl. took time. I think when he was a baby it may have been a punishment. I had no way to know for sure. Back then most information came from books re: birdys. If my Dad did this it was from lack of knowing better.

Anyway. Maybe you could just use the spray btl. to do his feet. I can tell you w/ the tub he'll be able to open his wings if you have him facing you.

:gbh:
He enjoys being spritzed with a spray bottle, and he has a large bowl to bathe in that he does at random. As far as spraying his foot, the poop gets smeared between his toes and under his nails, and a paper towel seems to irritate his foot. I have it wrapped now but I'm thinking I'll have to change it a few times a day once it gets soiled. I know he isn't crazy about being handled but I need to play doctor. I'm hoping he'll eventually stop resisting and let me help him without him protesting. Kids. :hug2:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ernie isn’t handicapped but he is the same way if y ou try to put him down. Grabs onto me, gets my shirt etc. I agree you’ve got to handle and maybe man handle him some. Do treats help? Have you wrapped him in a towel while you do it?

Capt Jack’s breeder wraps them in a towel, then flips the end of it over their face while she does things (like clip nails). She feels it really helps. I haven’t wrapped anyone since I saw her doing that so IDK how it works for us.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ernie isn’t handicapped but he is the same way if y ou try to put him down. Grabs onto me, gets my shirt etc. I agree you’ve got to handle and maybe man handle him some. Do treats help? Have you wrapped him in a towel while you do it?

Capt Jack’s breeder wraps them in a towel, then flips the end of it over their face while she does things (like clip nails). She feels it really helps. I haven’t wrapped anyone since I saw her doing that so IDK how it works for us.
He loves food! I've wrapped him in a towel a few times and covered his face but he either chewed through it or flung it off. I forget sometimes just how long his neck is, but he reminds me. He's gotten to the point that as soon as he sees me grabbing for him, he chomps down. By the time I'm finished treating him, he's panting like he just fought for his life

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He loves food! I've wrapped him in a towel a few times and covered his face but he either chewed through it or flung it off. I forget sometimes just how long his neck is, but he reminds me. He's gotten to the point that as soon as he sees me grabbing for him, he chomps down. By the time I'm finished treating him, he's panting like he just fought for his life
:faint: Ohhh Java you gotta do better than that.

And those extendable necks! And they twist in all directions too.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ernie isn’t handicapped ... Do treats help? Have you wrapped him in a towel while you do it?

The towel, or I why I didn't think of that. It's an every day thing here now for eye drops. Plz, don't poke fun but I sing a little made up song abt Buddy being a taco. Peek a boo seemed to overly excite him.

It has now turned into a lovely little snuggle time for us. Right until... I start to try... the finger headlock hold! Then the beginning of a mini wrestle match with the can opener :omg: begins. :pinklol2:

Luckily, I usually win.

This maybe a good thing for you if you can make it fun long enough to peek @ the feet daily.

:hug1: Rain

Last edited by a moderator:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Rain Bow why would we make fun?? I sing everything! So does hubby, who can sing both higher and lower than me and also make up perfect rhyming hilarious lyrics.

Ours wrapped in a towel = burrito. Wonder why they make us think of Mexican food?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow I also sing to Java, every morning as I uncover him:

"Good morning, good morning
It's great to stay up
Good morning, good morning
To you."

He seems to like it. I'm always singing or humming something to him and my cat, and it doesn't matter who's around me to hear it. If they think it's silly, oh well.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly & @Brittany0208

:laughing7: I thought I was a little odd be because people have told me that my whole life! Yes, why DO they make us think of mexican food? My whole song is about him being taco meat. Then I kiss my taco meat just in time for that precious wrestling match!

I may be :laughing6: laughing :pinklol: for the rest of the night.... TY so much for making me not feel alone!

:gbh: Rain

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly & @Brittany0208

:laughing7: I thought I was a little odd be because people have told me that my whole life! Yes, why DO they make us think of mexican food? My whole song is about him being taco meat. Then I kiss my taco meat just in time for that precious wrestling match!

I may be :laughing6: laughing :pinklol: for the rest of the night.... TY so much for making me not feel alone!

:gbh: Rain
Always glad to help :D:lol::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.