• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

World Parrot Trust - Save the Greys!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We in the US DO NOT import African Greys, or for that matter any other parrots. Since the Wild Bird Conservation Act was enabled in Oct. 1993, importation of wild parrots to the United States has been miniscule. The fact that we have sufficient (even perhaps excess) breeder in the US has greatly contributed to the reduction of parrots to the US. Most of the imported parrots now come over the Mexican border and until our gooberment follows the law and closes that Southern border, there is no law that can stop the ILLEGAL importation.

Legal rules and restrictions regarding Psittacidae trade[edit]
The Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA)[8] was enacted on October 23, 1992 to protect exotic bird species from international trade. The Act maintains that wild-caught birds may only be imported into the United States if they are produced in accordance with service-approved management plans for sustainable use of the species.[7] After the WBCA, the number of parrots imported in the US declined from over 100,000 annually to only hundreds annually.[3]

The European Union placed a temporary ban on wild bird imports in October 2005 after imported birds died from the H5N1 bird flu. The ban was made permanent in 2007, allowing only captive-bred birds from approved countries to be imported.[9]

The Convention on International Trade protects certain endangered species by law, and prohibits them from being traded internationally. Several true parrots from the Ara genus(great green macaw, blue-throated macaw, scarlet macaw, military macaw), are all protected under Appendix 1 of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.[10]
International parrot trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the USA participates in this latest attempt to stop AG trade, it will make NO DIFFERENCE in the USA, but it will give the "bleeding heart ignorant" animal rightists the opportunity to put AGs on the Appendix 1 and the trade, sale, gifting and transportation of African Greys will be greatly restricted in the USA.

What that will mean folks is that Greycluod could not have given her beloved AGs to Brijid36 when she could no longer care for them.

It is a Draconian agreement that will solve a problem that does not exist in the United States. All of you African Grey owners should fight this agreement tooth and nail.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We in the US DO NOT import African Greys, or for that matter any other parrots. Since the Wild Bird Conservation Act was enabled in Oct. 1993, importation of wild parrots to the United States has been miniscule. The fact that we have sufficient (even perhaps excess) breeder in the US has greatly contributed to the reduction of parrots to the US. Most of the imported parrots now come over the Mexican border and until our gooberment follows the law and closes that Southern border, there is no law that can stop the ILLEGAL importation.

Legal rules and restrictions regarding Psittacidae trade[edit]

The Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA)[8] was enacted on October 23, 1992 to protect exotic bird species from international trade. The Act maintains that wild-caught birds may only be imported into the United States if they are produced in accordance with service-approved management plans for sustainable use of the species.[7] After the WBCA, the number of parrots imported in the US declined from over 100,000 annually to only hundreds annually.[3]

The European Union placed a temporary ban on wild bird imports in October 2005 after imported birds died from the H5N1 bird flu. The ban was made permanent in 2007, allowing only captive-bred birds from approved countries to be imported.[9]

The Convention on International Trade protects certain endangered species by law, and prohibits them from being traded internationally. Several true parrots from the Ara genus(great green macaw, blue-throated macaw, scarlet macaw, military macaw), are all protected under Appendix 1 of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.[10]

If the USA participates in this latest attempt to stop AG trade, it will make NO DIFFERENCE in the USA, but it will give the "bleeding heart ignorant" animal rightists to put AGs on the Appendix 1 and the trade, sale, gifting and transportation of African Greys will be greatly restricted in the USA.

What that will mean folks is that Greycluod could not have given her beloved AGs to Brijid36 when she could no longer care for them.

We posted at the same time, those were my thoughts ML. ;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I will have to look when I get home from work. Greys are listed on cites already, are they not?

Are they trying to get them on the ESA list so we may not keep them as pets?
That isn't how I'm reading it @Macawnutz but I've posted it in case anyone was interested in checking it out.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, African Greys are currently on the CITES list Appendix II. If elevated to Appendix I the same restrictions within the USA that exist for Scarlets, Military, Blue Throat and Buffons macaws.

Don't ever think the Animal Rights people won't attempt to get AGs onto the Appendix I.

SandraK - THIS AGREEMENT WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE IN THE USA OTHER THAN TO GIVE THE AR PEOPLE A TOEHOLD. THE UNITED STATES DOES NOT IMPORT AFRICAN GREYS NOW.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That isn't how I'm reading it @Macawnutz but I've posted it in case anyone was interested in checking it out.
Don't be a dupe for PETA, ALF, ELF and all of the other "no pets for anyone" organizations.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

I understand that it reads misleading. My concern lies with it saying they are imported legally now. They are not legally importing any parrots now. They are all listed on cities which prohibits importation unless you have a permit.

I think this is a sly way of getting signatures to list them as class 1 on cites, which would then bring them closer to the ESA list.

APX 1 cites listed birds are slowly being moved onto the US ESA list. Birds listed on the ESA list are illegal in 25 states and those states that do allow them have many rules.

If the African Grey is put on the ESA, you will not be able to own one in IL. Current greys in IL could be subject to being confiscated. Even if they made special considerations IL is an illegal state. All these new laws are very dangerous for owners. Especially when they are poorly written to betray. :(

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks Sarah, for the helpful insight. I'tll be the last time I post anything from WPT believe me.

I thought they were better than that Sandra. :( Make no mistake, the African Grey is next. The numbers for them are lower than the hy and scarlet. The scarlet will be on the ESA list by next year I'm guessing. The Hy might be harder as the owners are ready to fight it and their numbers are not that bad.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is a duplicate post. I will respond to the other

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So does the ESA list allow for a grandfather clause or once they are on the list they are now illegal to keep period ? When they did this with in the reptile world about 5 yrs ago you could keep them just not breed them , sell them over state lines, transfer them over state lines unless to a accepted state ,or import/export them ... Is that sort of the same thing they are trying to do with the parrots now ...and what is their reasons ...with the larger snakes it was conservation reasons they were encroaching on the everglades and could very well take over the southern states ...What ever could be the reasons for this list other then just to take away your fids :shifty:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So does the ESA list allow for a grandfather clause or once they are on the list they are now illegal to keep period ? When they did this with in the reptile world about 5 yrs ago you could keep them just not breed them , sell them over state lines, transfer them over state lines unless to a accepted state ,or import/export them ... Is that sort of the same thing they are trying to do with the parrots now ...and what is their reasons ...with the larger snakes it was conservation reasons they were encroaching on the everglades and could very well take over the southern states ...What ever could be the reasons for this list other then just to take away your fids :shifty:

Each state has its own laws regarding how they handle the ESA list. If you are in one of the 25 states that does not adopt the special considerations than yes, they could be illegal and no grandfather exists.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW....that's very scary ...and the reason they decided to start the ESA list ? I'm glad I'm in Canada ...but monkey see monkey do ...allot of time we follow you ...is this a federal law then given over to the states to decide how they want to deal with it ?:huh: