• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing Spread

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
For no particular reason, I woke up this morning, really wanting to learn how to teach my bird to spread his wings on cue... In like 24 hours or less.

No particular reason just a whim.

Can anyone help me?

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:hmmm: Funny, I was just thinking the same thing this morning... at around 730 CST time :giggle:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I was following parrot wizards technique and now if I say Wings, Chickie twitches her wings lol. I did that training halfheartedly.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I tried the parrot wizard way but Turbo just kept raising his foot to do a high five. I guess the cues are too similar. I will try again later.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
For no particular reason, I woke up this morning, really wanting to learn how to teach my bird to spread his wings on cue... In like 24 hours or less.

No particular reason just a whim.

Can anyone help me?
:rofl: I’m laughing too hard! We could all just protest and not enter any picture:devil:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Darn! And here I thought I'd find a pic of your bird doing it where I could just paste a pic of Darwin's head on to enter! :lol:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You guys make me laugh!

Every bird I own but 2 do an on cue wing display. ;)

I watched the PW video just to make sure I agreed with the method... being a parrot trainer and all! :p It's not how I teach it but it will work. I teach with excitement. Anytime my birds open their wings I say SO BIG. It just clicks with them so when I ask HOW BIG ARE YOU, SO BIG! They just get it.

I also embed hidden cues that is more for my bird show, I actually tilt my head or make a hand cue during there execution to be my cue later. Korbel tilts his head while doing to the wing display mimicking me. ;)

Just an idea to help the underdogs on this curious thread. Maybe some water would help. ;)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have never seen my birds open their wings like that, only to stretch them. I reward them all excited when they do that, they always look at me like what the heck are you doing? I’m just stretching:rofl: They are sleeping now, but tomorrow morning I have two to three hours to teach him:D I have already taken 139 trying to catch the right moment:rofl::rofl:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Just an idea to help the underdogs on this curious thread. Maybe some water would help. ;)
:banghead: This sounded so simple, but then I realized I entered the wrong bird for this to work. Will try, though.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh I see, this is part of the contest! @Macawnutz glad you critiqued the pw video. I wasn’t sure if it was too demanding and pushy so I hadn’t continued with that training.

I wouldn't do the weightless drop unless you have a very trusting bird that knows you well. Im not fond of that. The pushing is more than I do but I see no harm there. In moderation. I cue it with excitement when I see it, that works for me.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I am glad I am already a villain.. :bonnie: Grumbles does not do this on command and rarely opens his wings unless flying.
Levi does this very well though. It will be interesting to see who completes this and who joins the dark side :angel4::devil:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I wouldn't do the weightless drop unless you have a very trusting bird that knows you well. Im not fond of that. The pushing is more than I do but I see no harm there. In moderation. I cue it with excitement when I see it, that works for me.

Thanks Sarah!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You guys make me laugh!

I watched the PW video just to make sure I agreed with the method... being a parrot trainer and all! :p It's not how I teach it but it will work. I teach with excitement. Anytime my birds open their wings I say SO BIG. It just clicks with them so when I ask HOW BIG ARE YOU, SO BIG! They just get it.

I also embed hidden cues that is more for my bird show, I actually tilt my head or make a hand cue during there execution to be my cue later. Korbel tilts his head while doing to the wing display mimicking me. ;)

Turbo doesn't do it much but I could try and work on it. I was racking my brain to try and remember when he ever puts both wings up and...
Screenshot_2018-02-19-11-02-47.png

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You guys make me laugh!

Turbo doesn't do it much but I could try and work on it. Water definitely helped. I was racking my brain to try and remember when he ever puts both wings up and...
Oh I see, this is part of the contest! @Macawnutz glad you critiqued the pw video. I wasn’t sure if it was too demanding and pushy so I hadn’t continued with that training.
Turbo didn't seem to like it much but it probably depends on the bird...I like the capturing and shaping idea. I only see my birds put both wings up when they stretch and it's not a spread it's more like two wings pointed up and back.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
When your fid does stretch his wings, praise him like crazy and maybe give a small favourite treat. They love the praise as Sarah said - my phrase is "Don't you have beautiful wings?" followed by "Can you do angel wings?" for when they do their backward folded wing stretch.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Turbo didn't seem to like it much but it probably depends on the bird...I like the capturing and shaping idea. I only see my birds put both wings up when they stretch and it's not a spread it's more like two wings pointed up and back.

I wouldn't expect them to like that. In fact, most macaws don't appreciate touching wings. I would expect my finger mangled. ;)

Someone mentioned it's a large bird thing... thinking about it I'm going to disagree. I don't see my macaws do it more than my amazons, macaws don't walk around holding out giant wings. ;)

What I bet is macaw owners make a bigger deal about it when it happens, I mean, they are huge! If my amazon was sitting across the room making giant wings I wouldnt think to say "big wings" but I would with a macaw. :)