• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing Spread

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You guys make me laugh!

Every bird I own but 2 do an on cue wing display. ;)

I watched the PW video just to make sure I agreed with the method... being a parrot trainer and all! :p It's not how I teach it but it will work. I teach with excitement. Anytime my birds open their wings I say SO BIG. It just clicks with them so when I ask HOW BIG ARE YOU, SO BIG! They just get it.

I also embed hidden cues that is more for my bird show, I actually tilt my head or make a hand cue during there execution to be my cue later. Korbel tilts his head while doing to the wing display mimicking me. ;)

Just an idea to help the underdogs on this curious thread. Maybe some water would help. ;)

1. Part of your job is to train your birds! :arghh:

2. I have been praising my birds and saying "wings up" every time I see them stretch with them up or "big stretch" when they stretch one wing and a leg since I got them all and none of them do it on cue! :facepalm: Tiki will do wings up a lot of the time when getting sprayed so she may have to pinch hit for Darwin in this one. :lol: Unless I get extremely lucky tonight!

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

1. Part of your job is to train your birds! :arghh:

Oh, I am well aware. :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for your bird to sing a three verse song or ride a bicycle!

If your bird is the super bird, he should be able to do the super hero pose. ;)

My new birds learn that before they stand on stage. :laugh:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

I wouldn't expect them to like that. In fact, most macaws don't appreciate touching wings. I would expect my finger mangled. ;)

Someone mentioned it's a large bird thing... thinking about it I'm going to disagree. I don't see my macaws do it more than my amazons, macaws don't walk around holding out giant wings. ;)

What I bet is macaw owners make a bigger deal about it when it happens, I mean, they are huge! If my amazon was sitting across the room making giant wings I wouldnt think to say "big wings" but I would with a macaw. :)

That could be it. The people just love it more so we fuss over it more. We will stick with the "high four", although I have been thinking of shaping it into a fist bump. LOL!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
That could be it. The people just love it more so we fuss over it more. We will stick with the "high four", although I have been thinking of shaping it into a fist bump. LOL!

That would be super cute! :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

We do high four ( open foot ) foot wave ( open foot waving right and left ) foot bye ( open close foot ) and foot back ( looks like scratching ear ) ;) I also teach it on either foot because it doubles for nails and medical issues. :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
We do high four ( open foot ) foot wave ( open foot waving right and left ) foot bye ( open close foot ) and foot back ( looks like scratching ear ) ;) I also teach it on either foot because it doubles for nails and medical issues. :)
That is cool. Mine only raise their foots for a wave. It doesn't go back and forth, how can I add that in?

Rainey used to raise her foot to wave really well but then I somehow reinforced a head scratch, and then a head shake. Yesterday, I waved my finger at her and she shook her head, scratched her ear and raised one foot then the other. "Now where's my treat?" All she got was a laugh which was probably just as good :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That is cool. Mine only raise their foots for a wave. It doesn't go back and forth, how can I add that in?

Rainey used to raise her foot to wave really well but then I somehow reinforced a head scratch, and then a head shake. Yesterday, I waved my finger at her and she shook her head, scratched her ear and raised one foot then the other. "Now where's my treat?" All she got was a laugh which was probably just as good :)

It's playing with them Laurie. :) I have so many birds that I just capture any unique thing I get. Kailua gives me one wing only so we go with it. ;) Nikki gives the best feet waves as when you are slow to reward... she gets demanding with her foot! New cue and wait for the demanding air stomp!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

I wouldn't expect them to like that. In fact, most macaws don't appreciate touching wings. I would expect my finger mangled. ;)

Someone mentioned it's a large bird thing... thinking about it I'm going to disagree. I don't see my macaws do it more than my amazons, macaws don't walk around holding out giant wings. ;)

What I bet is macaw owners make a bigger deal about it when it happens, I mean, they are huge! If my amazon was sitting across the room making giant wings I wouldnt think to say "big wings" but I would with a macaw. :)

I meant it more like, it seems the larger birds just seem to "click" with things a little easier. They've got a little more grey matter to work with. Rupert takes a lot longer to catch on to new ideas. Then again, he's slow to accept most things. He didn't even trust himself to HOP, and he doesn't trust himself to fly, even though he's demonstrated that a hundred times.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I meant it more like, it seems the larger birds just seem to "click" with things a little easier. They've got a little more grey matter to work with. Rupert takes a lot longer to catch on to new ideas. Then again, he's slow to accept most things. He didn't even trust himself to HOP, and he doesn't trust himself to fly, even though he's demonstrated that a hundred times.

Every bird is unique. Sometimes you need to teach crawl before walk.

When I rehomed Kailua, I was told by numerous people she wouldn't make my show, I was wasting my time. She did require different techniques and really needed to learn to be a bird first. We worked on confidence, teaching her she had a choice. I praised her for threatening me if I asked for something she didn't like.

Kailua was abused and suffered from learned helplessness. She would allow anything to get it over with. She had a dumpy personality and became exhausted with minimal exertion.

I got her in my show in about 40 days doing simple behaviors. At about a year I could see a different bird. By two years she had her trust and began to take control of her surroundings. It's been probably 4-5 years since I rehomed her now... she runs the room. ;)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Each bird really is different, like Sarah says. The best thing to teach is something that both you and they enjoy. Get creative.

Also, as the two of you learn to communicate with one another it gets easier and they learn faster. It is as if they have learned to learn.

I was just kidding about training Turbo to spread his wings in a day. He can learn many things in a day but not that. It's just so far from his normal behavior that it would take much longer to train. If he raised his wings naturally he could learn it on cue quickly but not for something he rarely does.

I had to resort to other methods to get the photo ;)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Each bird really is different, like Sarah says. The best thing to teach is something that both you and they enjoy. Get creative.

Also, as the two of you learn to communicate with one another it gets easier and they learn faster. It is as if they have learned to learn.

I was just kidding about training Turbo to spread his wings in a day. He can learn many things in a day but not that. It's just so far from his normal behavior that it would take much longer to train. If he raised his wings naturally he could learn it on cue quickly but not for something he rarely does.

I had to resort to other methods to get the photo ;)
Rupert will once in a great while put both wings up... Usually when dropping a big poop. Otherwise it's one wing at a time when stretching. I can teach him this, and still plan to. It will just have to be at the little nugget's pace.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such an over achiever :faint:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am impressed with all the things birds can do on command. Louise used to do "big wings" then decided it was not something she wanted to do. Probably could have kept it up if I changed the reinforcer beyond me saying "good bird, big wings". Everybody is different. I do enjoy watching tricks. This is not meant as any type of criticism, but I don't teach Louise-or my dogs, any tricks. I just teach the things they need for safety and needed convenience. I just don't want my pets to have the pressure of performing. If they want to do something beyond and enjoy it, then that is great. I also understand that training can be a bonding activity. I do have other ways of bonding. There was a video posted here of a bird that did "eagle" and it was very cute. My friends Macaw really seems to enjoy waving--gets to head bobbing and looks like he is having fun. Louise just didn't look like she was having fun. My dogs would probably do tricks for treats, but they can just have the treat.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
You guys make me laugh!

I watched the PW video just to make sure I agreed with the method... being a parrot trainer and all! :p It's not how I teach it but it will work. I teach with excitement. Anytime my birds open their wings I say SO BIG. It just clicks with them so when I ask HOW BIG ARE YOU, SO BIG! They just get it.

I also embed hidden cues that is more for my bird show, I actually tilt my head or make a hand cue during there execution to be my cue later. Korbel tilts his head while doing to the wing display mimicking me. ;)

Just an idea to help the underdogs on this curious thread. Maybe some water would help. ;)
Too bad Dexter refuses treats! I just wa tied for a tantrum and snapped pictures lol

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I am impressed with all the things birds can do on command. Louise used to do "big wings" then decided it was not something she wanted to do. Probably could have kept it up if I changed the reinforcer beyond me saying "good bird, big wings". Everybody is different. I do enjoy watching tricks. This is not meant as any type of criticism, but I don't teach Louise-or my dogs, any tricks. I just teach the things they need for safety and needed convenience. I just don't want my pets to have the pressure of performing. If they want to do something beyond and enjoy it, then that is great. I also understand that training can be a bonding activity. I do have other ways of bonding. There was a video posted here of a bird that did "eagle" and it was very cute. My friends Macaw really seems to enjoy waving--gets to head bobbing and looks like he is having fun. Louise just didn't look like she was having fun. My dogs would probably do tricks for treats, but they can just have the treat.
For me, it helps me build a trust and bond with the animal; whether it's a dog, a cat, or a bird.

For birds, I start with simple things, like giving signs for "can I pet you?", "come here", and stepping up on to a perch. Rupert was extremely hand shy when I got him. He wouldn't step up on to a perch either. Now he will readily step up for a perch because he knows I'm just transporting him and it's usually something he'll enjoy, like taking him to the play area, taking him from sleep cage to his flight for breakfast, etc. He no longer fears a hand coming towards him. When I give the signal to ask to pet him, he will respond by rubbing his cheek with his foot gingerly. We're still working on the backwards lean/laying on his back. It's something he wants to do, but his old fears creep up still. For now, I gently hold my hand behind him, ready to stabilize him if he wants to cuddle on his back.

I reward him for things like certain vocalizations; like if he responds to me imitating his noise, or if he picks up on one that we use for Sherbie.

He's been clipped since he was at the foster's home, but I've let the flights grow out and have been teaching him to fly. He will lean and tense up like he wants to fly, but won't do it unless something spooks him. One of these days he'll understand what he's capable of. Nothing is ever forced. If he's not in a cooperative mood, I put him down and let him explore or play by himself.

I want him to be confident in himself, and I know eventually he'll make that leap. I'll be there to catch him and sing silly songs when he does.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
:heart:
He is one lucky birdie.
When I went to meet him, he was afraid of everyone and everything, but I had this gut feeling about him that I couldn't ignore. Best decision ever.

I look at all the birds here and see how loved and spoiled they are... it's really inspiring. We've got a great, extended bird-family. :)

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
You guys make me laugh!

So when you say every bird you own, that includes the little guys? Like Conures and such? ;) I learned quickly that Mango doesn't like his Wings touched either :dead: What's more hilarious is that after every single challenge, Mango will do all the behaviors repeatedly throughout the day (the NEXT DAY hahahah). Like hanging from one foot. :lol:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My dogs would probably do tricks for treats, but they can just have the treat.
Right? We give our dogs treats whenever they ask for one, too. We figure we can have snacks whenever we want so they should, too. And if one dog or bird gets a treat, they all do, as long as it's something they can have. If it's something they can't have, they get a different treat.

Our dane mix, Jixny, is very good about not taking anything from the counter even though she can reach almost anything up there. :rolleyes: So we keep their treats in one of these glass cookie jars at the front corner of the counter and we've taught her to gently bump the lid with her nose to let us know when she wants one because she won't ask otherwise.
upload_2018-6-13_15-58-24.jpeg
Nomi is too short to reach the jar without putting her paws on the counter, so she'll sit in front of us and stare until we hold our hands up and ask, "what you want?" and she'll take us to whatever she's asking for. Not really tricks so much as ways to ask. :)

I do like @Macawnutz's idea of training tricks that make maintenance & vet visits easier, though. Great idea!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I teach with excitement. Anytime my birds open their wings I say SO BIG. It just clicks with them so when I ask HOW BIG ARE YOU, SO BIG! They just get it.

I did this with Cake. I say, "Get 'em up!" and he'll spread his wings: