• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wing Damage possibly, all flight feathers gone!

Joelle

Walking the driveway
My linnie Aura had an accident that I believe was a night fright 4 days ago. He is OK (eating normally and moving around lots and bathing even) but I'm worried. I may be able to get him into the vet tomorrow.

What happened: I noticed his wings looked shorter the next morning and then panicked a bit when I realized all his newly growing (after wing trim by previous owner) flight feathers were gone!!! Then I found some dried blood on the wall and put the pieces together. My other linnie is fine, so I believe Aura got spooked during a thunderstorm we had and thrashed about in the dark. I found a bunch of feathers on the bottom of the cage but none were broken, so I think he shed them after he broke one or two blood feathers (I read this can happen during a fright). Now I can see two broken feathers but no blood and one wing seems worse than the other with maybe skin showing or could be crusting over scab on the top of his left wing. I'm not sure. The picture attached only shows how short his wings are now, not any damage that I've glimpsed when he stretches his wings.

Has this happened to anyone on the forum?

Attachments

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, it happened to my Sammy and to Sunshine. They became frightened and actually dropped their flight feathers. Sammy even dropped his tail feathers too! Poor Aura! I am sure she will be fine. Lots of love to you both!:hug8:

Joelle

Walking the driveway
@Greycloud thanks for responding. Did either of your guys have damage to their actual wing or blood feather breakage? I think I'll bring him in tomorrow to have it checked out, hope there's no permanent damage.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
It probably will not hurt to go ahead and take him to the vet.I hope he is OK:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Thanks, I hope so too! I'll take him in and get him checked over tomorrow.
How long does it take for feathers to grow back after they've dropped due to fright?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
This happened to my conure Tiki when I moved him into a new space. ...in the morning most of his flights and tail feathers were on the floor they all came back though and he is fine now.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Aura should be fine. It takes feathers about 6 to 8 weeks to grow back. Give her moulting food to help support her feather growth. I usually give eggfood 3 to 4 times a week to give them the nutrients they need (in addition to fresh foods and sprouts)

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Food made with egg ;)

There are recipes for it, but I just buy the one from the pet store and mix it with some hard boiled egg to make a crumbly mixture.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Poor little one.

They will all start to grow pretty quickly. Try to keep him less active when they do... quite a lot of vulnerable feathers without protection is a disaster waiting to happen.

Keep aware and try to minimize any more breakage.

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
Fabulous news!!