• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will Not Bathe

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She's matured really fast and came home with me at 6 weeks, so I would like to get her used to it before she starts molting. She was the more flighty of the two babies the breeder had and everyone before me had passed her up, I fell for her right away, lol. I'm just worried that if I don't get her used to it now, once puberty hits, she'll never take a bath.

Puberty won't happen for another 9 to 18 months. That's a long time; 3-9 times her current age. And birds who are 30 still learn new things, it's really a baseless fear in my opinion.

Modell

Strolling the yard
Sorry, this is my first bird, so I'm still learning. That's why I asked, I don't want to mess things up.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm just worried that if I don't get her used to it now, once puberty hits, she'll never take a bath.

You've got it backwards. Your bird is a "baby" and there is no valid reason that the birds must bathe. You insisting on it will do more harm that good. She needs to "discover" bathing when she's good and ready. On her time.

Modell

Strolling the yard
You've got it backwards. Your bird is a "baby" and there is no valid reason that the birds must bathe. You insisting on it will do more harm that good. She needs to "discover" bathing when she's good and ready. On her time.
I would never force her to bathe. I was asking for ways to get her to bathe. Sorry for asking a question. My grandma has always told me how much her bird loved bathing and thought my bird needed a bath. She had her bird for many years, so I assumed she was right. I had also read that baths were good for birds, like I said, this is my first bird and I don't want to mess things up. That's why I asked. I had already apoloziged for my mistake. Lesson learned. This is starting to feel increasingly like the fish forums.

Modell

Strolling the yard
Update: Just a couple minutes ago my baby took her first bath. I had brought out her cat dish and filled it with fridge water. I placed it on the couch arm and splashed in it. After a couple minutes she came over and watched me. I flicked a drop of water in her and she flicked some back. I couldn't get any photos for I had to sprinkle water on her, but she seemed to enjoy it. She spread out her wings and sat in the dish. She's still preening as I type. I wanted to thank those of you that gave me actual advice and were nice about it. I really appreciated you guys that were actually helpful. My only question now, is how frequently she should bathe or be offered a bath?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My only question now, is how frequently she should bathe or be offered a bath?
It's good if she take a bath twice a week (often if she is molting) but you can offer her a bath ever second day.
She will soon tell you how often she want to take a bath.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Forgot! Never bath her in the evening, (morning is the best) she must be dry before going to sleep.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad she took the plunge! I love how cute they are when they really get into their bath. As @Eloy said, a couple times a week is fine. Mine bathe anywhere from two times a week to two times a month. Baths don't seem to go over to well if it's not sunny out.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Glad she decided to take a dip! I have one water lover and one water phobic... :laugh:

Modell

Strolling the yard
Me too! She looked really cute, though she always looks cute to me, lol. After her bath, she made me sneeze from all the dust she was kicking up while preening, lol. She was a very dusty bird. I'll offer it twice week then. Thank you for your help!