• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will Not Bathe

Modell

Strolling the yard
Hello all! My baby has been doing well, however I cannot get her/him to bathe. I have tried gently misting from above, s(he) just freaks out. I've tried putting water in the sink and splashing it, s(he) got somewhat close then realized it was water and went crazy. I've tried putting a dish filled with water in her/his cage and leaving it in there, s(he) had zero interest. I really would like for my baby to start cleaning itself. Any tips? Thank you in advance!

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Birds have instincts it will bathe when it feels like it don't force the issue you may scare it.
Alternatively hold it down to the sink using string tied round it's neck with a weight on the end fill the sink until just its head is showing and then cover it in washing up liquid and use a nail brush on its eyes. If outside you could use a pressure washer.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did you try a very shallow pan with water on a table? Maybe put one out every day in a sunny spot if you can, and splash in it with your finger to try to entice him. Just keep trying, and eventually he should try it.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I've always stopped once s(he) got freaked out, I don't want her/him to get hurt. I'm glad you were joking, I'd be concerned otherwise, lol.
I've tried putting a shallow dish in the sun as well, s(he) still wouldn't give it a try. I'll keep working on it though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo has to have a very wide bowl and shallow water to bathe. If his tail touches the sides while he is doing his thing he will abort the mission. I use a really big dish meant to go under large potted plants. He also needs his water REALLY cold, and I have to splash around in it first. And this dish absolutely cannot be in his cage. All this to say, some birds are really picky.

Have you tried running the vacuum? The sound/vibration seems to simulate a thunderstorm for some birds and encourage bathing.

Otherwise, if she really isn't wanting to bathe under any circumstance, a light misting a few times a month is really all she needs.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I'll try a bigger dish and add some toys, s(he) loves the color pink so I'll try and find some pink bath toys. Pink usually entices her, though the dish I've tried using has pink, maybe there just needs to be more, lol. I'll try the vacuum as well. I've used warm water, so I'll also try really cold. Thank you guys!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried different times of day too? My tiel refused to bathe in the morning but if I gave him a bath around noon, he was happy. But they shouldn't get baths much later than 3:00 in the afternoon so they can be completely dry for bed.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I have tried different times of day, early morning to late afternoon, time seemed to not make a difference. Luckily s(he) should dry off quickly if s(he) decides to bathe even late at night when temperatures are still in the 90s. That's just about the only good thing about this heat, lol.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Try to put something in that bowl too. My budgie refuse to take a bath if I not put some dandelions/grass in his bowl. And not to deep.
Maybe put one out every day in a sunny spot if you can, and splash in it with your finger to try to entice him.
That is also what I do, and to give up is not an option. :)

And he also liked to take bath in the sink too as long as their was something "green" that he could walk on.
(watch the beginning of the movie)

Modell

Strolling the yard
I'll try and grow some dandelion indoors as my male dogs like to use the outdoor ones as a bathroom, lol. We don't have any grass at all either. Zenith is a very cute bird!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You must remember that cockatiels are a desert species of bird. They do not bathe nearly as regularly as other birds. In fact they enjoy "dust" baths so you should not be that concerned if your bird doesn't want to bathe all the time. A time when they do seem to enjoy a bath is during moulting times.

Put a big flat shallow "clear glass" dish of water in her favourite play area. When's she ready and wants to bathe she will.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I know she's a desert bird, it's just she's never had a bath before. She just turned 12 weeks, so I wanted to give her a first bath. Unfortunately her favorite play area is on a quilt rack that sits in front of a window so I can't place it there. I have tried near it though to no avail. I'll try with a clear glass next.
Thank you guys for all the great advice, I really appreciate it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At 12 weeks I would definitely not be worried about her never taking a bath. Jingo was like 6 months old before he took a bath

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah she is quite young. Barely weaned. but its good to get her used to things from a young age.
Could be the noise of the sprayer scaring her ir the stream. Mist it above her head & let iit fall.

She probably does not "need" a bath but its just you want to accustom her to things she will need in the future.

Modell

Strolling the yard
She's matured really fast and came home with me at 6 weeks, so I would like to get her used to it before she starts molting. She was the more flighty of the two babies the breeder had and everyone before me had passed her up, I fell for her right away, lol. I'm just worried that if I don't get her used to it now, once puberty hits, she'll never take a bath.