• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Will is not well

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope he gets better Debbie....lots of prayers for him.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Oh Will! You have a special spot in my heart, you were one of the first 'rescue' stories on AA when i first joined. Please, please, please get better quickly

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
i know it is my tired old brain again, but could you please give me a short version of Wills story or point me in the direction of finding his original thread please?All our birds are so important to us and their stories are so heart wrenching at times but they come up good by finding their present wonderful Mums and dad's. :hug8:Just so hoping that Will is going to respond to his treatment and do well.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How is Will today?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hey Ann - here is a link to Will's story that spoke to me and made me contact Anna about him.
He is my beloved curmudgeon now.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/exit-...6-unadoptables-need-love-too.html#post1025771

I just uncovered him and he is sitting on his top sleeping perch with some green poop on the paper below. yay! Beyond that I can't tell how he is feeling yet.
Yesterday had its ups and downs. I think he ended the day a bit better than he started. He was climbing to a higher perch to sit, and had eaten on his own.

But I caused a setback somehow and late in the day he vomited a whole bunch of food back up. Actually, I think it was trying to syringe-feed him that caused it. I only had given him a couple mls because he hated either the mix or being towelled that long too much. He really fought the syringe food. We both hated it.
It could have been any of his meds that caused it too. He seemed to be OK on the antibiotic before trying to feed him, and I had given the heart meds at 5 pm, then did antibiotic and syringe feeding at 7. When I looked at 8 there was vomit. He did go down to his feed bowl before bed, but not as much as usual ( didn't go get his bedtime treat though)

If you read Will's story you will understand Anna was right about his personality and my contract with him is to never make him live someplace else or submit to handling/contact with me without darn good reason. We interact but he is definitely hands off, and while he does not wish to physically interact with my other birds he is greatly comforted by their presence and flock calls when I take anyone (even the new budgie) out of the room. I think if he has to be on heart meds twice a day permanently we will be able to work it out between us, but right now I am only trying to get him stable without stressing him too much, and understanding I need to let him do it himself and not motherhen him so much. He always gives me such a look when I do that.

We do have a followup vet appt on Mon morning, and I hope today goes well as we head into the scary weekend where no vet is available and I have to be away at work both days.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Chandra, I suppose they may not help things but he did not eat yesterday before he started antibiotics.
We are hoping if the heart meds help he will feel like eating and not just feel blah.
Darn, thought perhaps that might have been the culprit. Abigail would get really (throwing-up constant) sick on Clavamox and would loose 6-7 grams a day when on it. I hope Will starts feeling better soon. :hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope he has a good day and eats well on his own. Sending healing thoughts for him and positive energy for all.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Just to add - Will has vomitted before when stressed so that is why I think it was being towelled and trying to syringe feed him that caused him to vomit yesterday.
About 3 months after he got here, when he was starting to feel at home, I towelled and put him into the travel cage to go get his nails done. He vomitted immediately.
He doesn't like being towelled ... He does not even try to escape being towelled... and he is not so much freaked/afraid as just hates it.
I also truely think he was afraid he was going into the travel cage to be rehomed again and that stressed him.

Just making my best guesses and playing it by ear here, as we all have to do sometimes.
I appreciate all your good thoughts.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you so much for taking the time out to show me the story of poor Will. It does sound as if he has found the right person to be looking after him in his twilight years. You are doing your best for him and I think he will realise this, do so hope he can settle and have a little bit more quality time with you.:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keeping Will and you in my thoughts and prayers Debbie.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sending many prayers for Will to recover and prayers for you Debbie for taking him in.:heart:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Many prayers coming for Will :)

Sent from Miriam's Samsung Galaxy epic 4g touch Droid.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If you have to towel him on a regular basis and take a deep breath first, it becomes a routine and you both will get on with it as that is what has to be done. A lot of our problems are in the mind and the stronger you are mentally to deal with it the easier it becomes. Good luck.
It does become routine. As much as I vary it, Judy knows when it's time. The part of our routine that never fails is the part where she gets to a part of her cage that makes it really difficult to towel her and hold on for dear life. I started giving her meds while she's holding onto the side of the cage. Sometimes this works. Sometimes she goes to the back so I can't reach around to give her meds. At least I know she's smart :) Like Welshanne said, you'll get through it. Even when I have to towel Korbin Dallas (who is more schizo than a wild caught bird) we get through it with very little loss of blood on either of our parts now.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Great news!, the meds seem to be helping Will a great deal and I have seen improvements happening all today. I am just so happy.
(He is on Digoxon and Enalapril.) I did not imagine the improvements would come so quickly, but he was so very sick there was nowhere to go but up.

Last night he climbed up to his normal sleeping perch. This morning he was moving about his cage, then he came out onto his playstand. Midday he started vocalizing again -music to my ears!!! he had been silent these few days, not even contact calling Sunny and Jimi when I took them out of the room. Then at dinner he actually ate his peas- and I have to tell you that is news indeed.

So we will be getting a routine of twice daily toweling and meds. I noticed tonight how much stronger he was when I was trying to do just that.
We may have to adjust dosages a bit at some point, and he is certainly not 100% yet, but now I feel so hopeful he'll get better and this will give us more quality time to enjoy each others company.

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
Great news!, the meds seem to be helping Will a great deal and I have seen improvements happening all today. I am just so happy.
(He is on Digoxon and Enalapril.) I did not imagine the improvements would come so quickly, but he was so very sick there was nowhere to go but up.

Last night he climbed up to his normal sleeping perch. This morning he was moving about his cage, then he came out onto his playstand. Midday he started vocalizing again -music to my ears!!! he had been silent these few days, not even contact calling Sunny and Jimi when I took them out of the room. Then at dinner he actually ate his peas- and I have to tell you that is news indeed.

So we will be getting a routine of twice daily toweling and meds. I noticed tonight how much stronger he was when I was trying to do just that.
We may have to adjust dosages a bit at some point, and he is certainly not 100% yet, but now I feel so hopeful he'll get better and this will give us more quality time to enjoy each others company.
This wonderful news. Hope it keep going, all the way. :heart::hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Great news!

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue