• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Miami Macaws flying on my patio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great work. Such a shame that feral populations exist though. :(

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
I'm so jealous! :o: :D Is there any house close to yours that I can rent? I'll be moving to the states in order to have the priviledge to watch those macaws fly in my yard!:hug8:

Can really a hawk be a threat for a macaw? :confused: I mean macaws seem to be a lot bigger than hawks...

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
The hawk that lives across the street is a red shouldered hawk. He made an appearance when 30+ Audubon birders were in my back yard watching the blue and golds. I was surprised too that the hawks would go after the B & G's because of the size differential but the Audubon members confirmed they do unfortunately. The b&g's always have a look out watching high up in the royals when the rest of the flock fly down to the feeder &/or cages and won't come down if they know the hawk is nearby. Interestingly, my two favorite wild macaws, Fuzzy and Scruffy have taken to sitting with my pet macaws on their tree branch swings for hours as they have learned that the patio overhang protects them from predators/rain/wind plus they get a never ending supply of walnuts and fruit. A small hawk got one of my daughters pet chickens awhile ago. About living with the wild flock- it's addicting , I plan my days to always be home when they come- early morning and late afternoon.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
" a shame the feral flocks exist"- Actually, I live within a mile or two from the original site of the Parrot Jungle. From the 1940's to the 1960's the original owner let the macaws fly free and since they were wild caught birds originally it was only natural that some would branch out. Of the flock of 24 , only two or three have bands and they have mated with wild birds. Pet (banded) birds have not fared well. Audubon members have e mailed me about the loss of a scarlet, military and buffens that were with the wild flock for a year or two but then disappeared. I'm also happy to report that a pair of chestnut fronts that I think are banded are thriving and produced a healthy fledgling. I'll try to get Bill Pranty to post pictures.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
If you notice, the picture of my favorite wild macaw Fuzzy is a hybrid. Susan Clubb, noted avian vet, was asked about his origin for the article Bill Pranty is publishing in April. Susan thinks he is 1/4 scarlet which makes sense as he is about 3 years old and the scarlet was with the flock about 6 or7 years ago.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
" a shame the feral flocks exist"- Actually, I live within a mile or two from the original site of the Parrot Jungle. From the 1940's to the 1960's the original owner let the macaws fly free and since they were wild caught birds originally it was only natural that some would branch out. Of the flock of 24 , only two or three have bands and they have mated with wild birds. Pet (banded) birds have not fared well. Audubon members have e mailed me about the loss of a scarlet, military and buffens that were with the wild flock for a year or two but then disappeared. I'm also happy to report that a pair of chestnut fronts that I think are banded are thriving and produced a healthy fledgling. I'll try to get Bill Pranty to post pictures.

Perhaps they disappeared because those three macaws were easy to pick out of the bunch of Blue and golds. If all but 3 are the same color and looks, then they'd make easy meat :(

So a pair of severe are free too? Poor things are all alone.. what will their offspring do when they are not with their parents? Will they pair of and become a sibling mated pair?

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I was wondering if these Macaws were from the Parrot Jungle flock!

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Good point. Maybe their color or maybe they are less observant of predators or maybe they were poached. Lucky , one of my pets, went off with the wild macaws for 3 days but then she came home. We joked that she didn't like the guy afterall.

johnsjets

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
John
Hi Daria,
We were on route 1 today and were astonished to see three b&g's alighting onto one of the palms above the roadway. This was somewhere near sw 42nd st (probably not too far from the location of the original Parrot Jungle). So we did a google search and found your thread regarding the wild flock. We are staying in Key Biscayne and would love to come by and take a few pics. I know from reading this thread that you have already had quite a number of visitors, so if you feel put out by this request, we would understand. I tried to pm you, but I didn't have the minimum number of public posts to do so. Thanks for the wonderful information you have posted.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Love to show off the wild macaws. Best time to see them is in the morning around 8:00 Am ,although they sometimes stick around to 9. I also know where they go in late afternoon. Since this is a public forum, I don't want to publish my address or phone but call my husband's office at 305 856 7887 and the secretary will relay messages. We're not to far from Key Biscayne.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I am still reading through all your posts and links and having a wonderful time!!
I checked the birdboard you mentioned. I didn't know that roufous hummingbirds come to Florida. There still is a lot to read and learn.

Do you get walnuts that are human food? I am just wondering because I know how much a 2 lb bag is. Or do they have a different variety for animals?

Please keep posting more pictures and stories. :hug8:

Sigrid

johnsjets

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
John
Thank you so much Daria for showing Elaine and I your magnificent "bird jungle". You have a beautiful home and fantastic back yard viewing. As far as bird lovers are concerned, you are truly in the middle of paradise. Please keep posting your wonderful pics and video's...we will be looking out for them.
John

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Elaine and John , it was my pleasure as I can tell how much you both love birds. Anxious to see pictures of your incredibly intelligent African Grey. You both look like serious photographers based on how you handled that impressive camera . Please post your photos of the wild blue and golds. It's easy after you put in a post there is section after for advanced or something if you click on that it's very easy- it's so easy I managed it with out any experience.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Sigrid- Much to my husband's disappoinment ,walnuts in the shell only come for human consumption and I spend a fortune plus have nuts stored all over the house. When I run out I order from the Nut House in Calif. and pay shipping to boot. The birds will eat macaw mix at Karen's but won't at my house because of the hawks. Elaine and John saw them (the hawks) circling this Am so they can grab walnuts and eat them in the security of the palm fronds.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Elaine and John -Instead of clicking post quick reply- click go advanced and you get prompted from there.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
Sigrid- Much to my husband's disappoinment ,walnuts in the shell only come for human consumption and I spend a fortune plus have nuts stored all over the house.
You really do a lot for your feathered friends. Many of us here would..:p

And I am also looking forward to the pictures taken by Elaine and John.:dancing:

Sigrid

southernbirds

Lovely photos. Will call if we are down your way! Do you ever see any around the Matheson Hammock Park area?

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
There is a pair of chestnut fronts that have raised a chick, now a fledeling, sucessfully on the far side of Matheson. I'm only about 1 mile and 1/2 from Matheson, shorter by air so I'm sure the macaws that fly around Matheson are part of my group. In fact, I know some of them roost in Fairchild and some in Gables Estates. Today I had about 11 in the afternoon- guess the cold weather makes demands on them to eat more walnuts (went thru 3 bags).

Status
Not open for further replies.