• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why you should not get a cage that opens on top for a Goffin

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Well he is almost 7 so I think the mechanical engineering gene must have bypassed him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis is a smart boy! How many times has he opened that up now, several right?
Multiple times a day. Every day. LOL. Literally, as soon as I lock it, he has it unlocked before I even move 4 feet from the cage.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sound normal to me. My sweet Sweden took all the screws out of wooden deck one day!

Don't let your guard down with a Goffin on the loose. ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every door of Keno's previous cage was padlocked. She still tried to open the locks. One day I left the key in one of the locks by mistake and when I came home I found her out and about. My BFA, Casey, never let himself out until a few months after I got Keno. He figured out how to open his cage by watching her.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I remember you telling me about that...Elvis, Elvis, Elvis....:bignono:

That can be unnerving sometimes...like when Milton WATCHES while we dial the combination to the lock on his door. Like I told you, he'll turn the lock around and spin the dial around with his beak. :shocked3:
And you can't dial the combination and then leave it locked until you want to open it. I used to do that and leave the lock locked...it saves valuable seconds if an emergency strikes. Anyway, Milton began to pull the lock OPEN...so we can't use that shortcut anymore...:rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sound normal to me. My sweet Sweden took all the screws out of wooden deck one day!

Don't let your guard down with a Goffin on the loose. ;)
So far, Elvis has only worked on unscrewing one screw from his cage. However, he now loves helping me open and close his food doors and pulling his food cup back inside the cage himself. There's a man who makes these plexi glass nut/bolt toys for parrots that I'm definitely going to get for Elvis when I order my next batch of toys.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So far, Elvis has only worked on unscrewing one screw from his cage. However, he now loves helping me open and close his food doors and pulling his food cup back inside the cage himself. There's a man who makes these plexi glass nut/bolt toys for parrots that I'm definitely going to get for Elvis when I order my next batch of toys.
Casey, Keno & Cody all unscrewed the tops of their play top cages (ladder bridge with attached perch). Cody got so scared that she refused to come out of her cage and even though it was several years ago she is still skittish about coming out and sitting on the top. Casey & Keno no longer have those cages.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom OMG you got a goffins???~~~~!!!!!!! How exciting! I have been away for a while!
Thank you. He was a foster birdie that we adopted. He actually likes my fiancé more than me. :rolleyes: I guess it's only fair since I was Sunny's chosen one. Once we get him settled in more, I will likely go back to fostering too. I just think he needs to adjust more- although he has done really well from day one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Casey, Keno & Cody all unscrewed the tops of their play top cages (ladder bridge with attached perch). Cody got so scared that she refused to come out of her cage and even though it was several years ago she is still skittish about coming out and sitting on the top. Casey & Keno no longer have those cages.
I haven't added the playtop as the cage is pretty high as is and Elvis has still not mastered step up. So I fear I would never get him down if he was up even higher. I stupidly thought Elvis would gradually just learn to step up like Sunny did. I never really "taught" Sunny to do it. It just came naturally once he grew to trust me more. Elvis deliberately wants no part of it. LOL. He hopes on my shoulder when he wants to. So starting this past weekend- although I should have done it sooner- we are doing actual step up training. I plan to get him a different cage in the near future and just keep that one for any foster birds we get- who hopefully aren't mechanically inclined. LOL.