• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why don't more people adopt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Why would anyone refuse vet records???? I'd love to know that info!

Eliza

Jogging around the block
What I am about to say is certainly not true of every rescue/shelter sanctuary but rather an example of what I've run into.

I tried to make myself available for a rescue/shelter but apparently, I am unworthy of a parrot because I am:

1) Single. Being single to a rescue means that minute I get a boyfriend and/or get engaged/married my life will drastically change to the point that I will neglect any parrot in my care.

2) Female. Being female to a rescue means that I will most certainly become pregnant (whether the circumstances outlined above come to fruition or not) and again, I will neglect any parrot in my care.

3) I do not rent OR own my home (my housing is part of my salary). Being a renter to a rescue means that I am not fiscally solvent enough to own a home and therefore have no access to the funds necessary to caring for a parrot. Being a homeowner to a rescue means that I will most certainly lose my home due. And in my case, since my housing is actually a part of my salary, in their mind I am teetering on the edge of joblessness AND homelessness after 10+ years living AND working in the same place.

4) I have a specific interest in certain species. To a rescue that means... I'm not sure but it's a turn-off, apparently. That or they want to push budgies or 'tiels on me, which are species I do not want as companions at this point in my life.

5) I have a specific interest in only MALE parrots as EVERY female exotic I have owned has had extensive and expensive reproductive health issues. To a rescue that means I am really a breeder.

I could provide a rescue with excellent reference from several area vets, both specific to parrots, to exotics (ferrets and hedgehogs) and rabbits. I could provide up-to-date medical information on the parrot I have now (but oh, wait: I got him from a breeder so that's ANOTHER mark in the negative column). I could provide references from exotic and rabbit rescues. I could provide references from the many people I have helped over the years providing pet care while they were working or vacationing. I can provide a letter from my employers verifying my position and salary. I could provide access to my bank accounts and credit card statements.

None of it was good enough.

Apparently, according to some I am not good enough to share my home with a parrot. And according to some, selfish because I chose to buy one from a reputable breeder instead of hoping and praying that someoone from a rescue deemed me worthy.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The tiels and darling Wasabi are all adopted. The cat, Sushi, too. My dear departed cat, Pearl, was also adopted. I firmly believe in adoption. Yes, my critters come with baggage. They have it because someone was mean to them. I can deal with it. I don't think I am all that special. I don't think it is a big giant deal to accept behavior problems in birds or other animals.

If someone does not want to deal with the baggage, well, I don't think that's right. I'll leave it at
that.

I can understand being afraid that an adoptive bird may have a disease. But as we all know, there are breeders out there who have and will sell sick birds.

My next tiel will be adopted and I am making plans for that now. I will be scared that the bird may have a disease, but I know the lady running the rescue, and I trust her.

I do not look down my nose at people who choose to buy birds. I do wish more people would adopt.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Why would anyone refuse vet records???? I'd love to know that info!
Yes, I have gotten the vet records on each bird I've adopted.

I have also kept in touch with the rescue, and have kept them, including the foster parents, updated about each bird. I know them, they know me and my birds' personalities, and so they can advise me if a bird I'm considering adopting would be likely to be a good fit for the household. They did a home visit before I adopted the first bird, and they did vet checks on me with the first three birds I adopted. Since then, they've taken me on faith, despite the fact that I'm not the ideal bird home, having both cats and dogs. They still adopt to me, even though I now live out of state. It pays to know the people who run the rescue, and to make sure they know you.

It probably doesn't hurt that I've never approached adoption with my mind set on a specific type of bird, with a specific look. I find it rather magical when a bird chooses me; I much prefer that to choosing a bird.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Most people know about cat and dog rescues/shelters, but even some adamantly pro-rescue mammal people I've talked to never even knew there was such a thing as a bird rescue or that there was a problem in the US with so many birds needing homes. Lack of visibility, education, and PR are a big problem for bird rescues IMO.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What I am about to say is certainly not true of every rescue/shelter sanctuary but rather an example of what I've run into.

I tried to make myself available for a rescue/shelter but apparently, I am unworthy of a parrot because I am:

1) Single. Being single to a rescue means that minute I get a boyfriend and/or get engaged/married my life will drastically change to the point that I will neglect any parrot in my care.

2) Female. Being female to a rescue means that I will most certainly become pregnant (whether the circumstances outlined above come to fruition or not) and again, I will neglect any parrot in my care.

3) I do not rent OR own my home (my housing is part of my salary). Being a renter to a rescue means that I am not fiscally solvent enough to own a home and therefore have no access to the funds necessary to caring for a parrot. Being a homeowner to a rescue means that I will most certainly lose my home due. And in my case, since my housing is actually a part of my salary, in their mind I am teetering on the edge of joblessness AND homelessness after 10+ years living AND working in the same place.

4) I have a specific interest in certain species. To a rescue that means... I'm not sure but it's a turn-off, apparently. That or they want to push budgies or 'tiels on me, which are species I do not want as companions at this point in my life.

5) I have a specific interest in only MALE parrots as EVERY female exotic I have owned has had extensive and expensive reproductive health issues. To a rescue that means I am really a breeder.

I could provide a rescue with excellent reference from several area vets, both specific to parrots, to exotics (ferrets and hedgehogs) and rabbits. I could provide up-to-date medical information on the parrot I have now (but oh, wait: I got him from a breeder so that's ANOTHER mark in the negative column). I could provide references from exotic and rabbit rescues. I could provide references from the many people I have helped over the years providing pet care while they were working or vacationing. I can provide a letter from my employers verifying my position and salary. I could provide access to my bank accounts and credit card statements.

None of it was good enough.

Apparently, according to some I am not good enough to share my home with a parrot. And according to some, selfish because I chose to buy one from a reputable breeder instead of hoping and praying that someoone from a rescue deemed me worthy.
Eliza,

I can certainly relate to some of what you are saying and I'm in the same situation. Single, female, and just by the luck of the draw, I have all male birds and will want to keep it that way not only because I think it will keep my current flock in ballance but because I also don't want to have to deal with the reproductive issues either. I also have all medium sized birds and want to stay in that size range. I can let them all out at the same time and don't have to worry about anyone getting seriously hurt. If I went out of that size range, I wouldn't have that option open to me anymore. I'm not trying to be difficult, just realistic as to what works for me and my flock.

Toward the end of my time with the rescue I was volunteering for, we had a Galah come in but she had serious food allergy issues. I had visited the breeder of my Ekkies who had a 10 year old single Galah she was looking to rehome and had asked me if I was interested and I was considering it. The director had a fit because I was thinking of taking the Galah from my breeder simply because the bird was coming from a breeder and then laid into me stating that I certainly could have adopted the Galah at the rescue. Sometimes these rescues get into the weirdest mindset. What difference does it make where the bird comes from, it was an adult bird in need of a home. Besides the fact that I knew I couldn't give the Galah at the rescue a proper home because I knew I couldn't deal with her food allergies and I certainly had no idea that she was even up for adoption to me until I was considering a different Galah. Of course, it was all a power struggle between me and the director...she liked to control her volunteers that way.

GRANNYKAT50

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
kathy
It also irks me to no end when you hear of all these people that aren't really breeders but they decide to let their birds breed. Where do all those new birdies go. The person I adopted Buddy from was one of those she got rid of him cause she decided to start breeding parrotlets and trying to make a few bucks. When we picked him up and I saw where he was coming from and found out he wasn't really tame I was upset. Since we got him I want to adopt and give other birds a home.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy

I AGREE. Also if a rescue asks for donations for a bird, I will not do it unless it is directly to the Vet. NOT their paypal.

I am in Michigan and there are many overnight rescues with wonderful websites, and wonderful information, "BORROWED" from other websites or people, but just because they can talk the talk does not mean they walk the walk. If you dig just a little deeper, you will find all the dirt.

There is only one Bird rescue in MI I would currently recommend, and that's the one Stacy B has. She does not "toot" her own horn, she just does what needs to be done, and does it well :)
There are 2 other individuals I would recommend, but they don't have the rescue title :). Tanya (Mystics Mom) and Donna (4zBirds) they both honestly give a DARN about the birds first and foremost.
:o: Awe...thanks...you made me blush...:o:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I went to a bird rescue once and they didn't think I was an 'appropriate' home after reviewing the truck load of paperwork they required me to fill out. Despite the fact that I had many, many years of experience with birds and had no problem providing a screamer, a plucker or a special needs bird a decent home they disqualified me because I had children and a dog. The whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I went another route in taking in two rehomes. Until this forum, I thought all rescues were like that so I avoided them.

Ziggy, where in STL is this rescue? I'm due to visit my dad in STL in another month or two and would love to see how they are.

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
I was actually denied by a rescue for a "Few" reasons, and I really don't feel like talking about it in full detail, but I had heard from a rescue (let's call her "Bunny lady" for this) the person used to work with, and I heard from the bunny lady that I was denied, not the rescue. I heard some not so nice words, so there's alot of rescues that take their personal views and use it to keep birds out of good homes, so it seems to me, because of what they believe is wrong.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Brigid, this is their website: STARavian Home

They don't have a facility as such - they have a network of foster homes. Janet, who was one of the founders, keeps many of the small birds in her home, and also most of the greys, for whom she has a personal affinity. The macaws and cockatoos are generally placed among several foster homes who have experience with those species. If you're interested in any of the birds they have, just get in contact with them ahead of your visit to your father - I have always visited the birds in whichever home they are being fostered, and the foster parents have always been very flexible about the visits.

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Now we have our own home we are in a position to foster/adopt but here in Vermont there are very few opportunities.

All of our birds were bought from either a breeder or a store because there are no rescues anywhere near our state. I searched online and found nothing.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Nemo, my new Meyer's Parrot who arrived yesterday is my second rescue from an actual rescue group. Merlin, my WFA also came from a rescue group. Both Merlin's rescuers and Tanya, Nemo's rescuer were fantastic to work with. I do know of other rescue groups who make it virtually impossible to adopt and frankly I wouldn't even be interested in getting involved with them.

Harleydo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
I feel that way about a lot of rescues. It seems they have their own pesonal agenda and don't think about the animal moreso than having some kind of power. Now yes, I know not all rescues are like that but I am still a little gunshy dealing with them. One rescue told my SIL she was inept to own a pet because she put her dog outside in a fenced yard instead of always taking her for a walk, now that's just wrong. Anyway, rescues do a lot of good and you just have to find the right one just like the next birdie you want.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I feel that way about a lot of rescues. It seems they have their own pesonal agenda and don't think about the animal moreso than having some kind of power. Now yes, I know not all rescues are like that but I am still a little gunshy dealing with them. One rescue told my SIL she was inept to own a pet because she put her dog outside in a fenced yard instead of always taking her for a walk, now that's just wrong. Anyway, rescues do a lot of good and you just have to find the right one just like the next birdie you want.

Seriously? because her dog was in a FENCED in yard?? I could see if she just let the dog run around all over the neighborhood doing as it pleased, where it pleased, but no she was RESPONSIBLE and kept it in her own yard. and I gotta say I know more dogs who would rather have area To RUN and play than to just walk around all the time , Like my Sheba she is scared to death of Cars, Roads, Trash cans, Pretty much everything She does NOT walk well unless its in our yard. but put her on her dog run out in the yard where her kids are and she's the happiest dog on earth! she prefers it over her Fenced in "kennel/Pen" (What ever ya wanna call it LOL) which makes no sense to me in her kennel she can be w/out a chain and just run around and play, BUT she doesn't like it because she can't be up in her kids face, every second of the day while they're out side playing, She'd rather be on her run (which is pretty long ) and be with her kids, or if we (me and or my b/f) are out side we let her run around the back yard(which is not fenced) off of her leash and run BUT she listens to us, When the kids call her its a big game of chase and its time to make her kids run around the yard trying to get her to come in :rofl:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Up until a year or so ago I didn't even know that pet bird rescues existed - until some one suggested checking the SPCA. I was flabergasted - I had never seen a bird there - they don't get many- but that is where Pip, Cinder, Holly, Tildy and Darcie have come from. They need to let people know that they are there:)

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
I was all set to adopt a bird from a rescue that is a few hours away from me. I sent toys (about $100 a month worth of toys) for over a year, and made monthly visits to check up on him and visit with the people who ran the rescue. Everything was going well until they discovered I was friends with someone they had like a running feud with. They called me one night all angry that I didn't disclose I knew this person and told me never to come back or contact them in any way again. I cried for about a week. I was so invested with my little guy- I had his cage setup and all ready for him to come home. I still think about him often and hope he is happy wherever he is.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
WOW...OUCH!!!! ive read these answers and even though i know there are some bad so called rescues there are also GREAT ones..there is ALOT of cost in rescue the so called free bird is never free...ex..call on 4 birds being surrendered,got to find help first hook up trailer drive 3 hrs to pick up(birds are NEVER ready usually filthy in verry small out dated un safe cages)get birds out of cages put in carriers collect cages put in trailer talk with owners try to find out as much as possible get papers signed show compasion for family usually when you are discusted..drive home 3hrs already have cages at home set up in qur area.pull out birds one at a time exam them do grommings put in cages fresh food and water..wash up change clothes.take care of my birds and others in rescue..next day power wash cages clean out carriers..the nxt 2 wks are constant with these guys...so about 35 dollars in gas 2 whole days have to ask others to give up their days new perches toys food you do the math and that is just starting..and this is just one time....every yr i have great intentions of making my yard pretty but the birds need food and toys sometimes my bills are paid on late noticesbecause i spent on a vet bill or i need more food or something..we go tru so much food in a month Higgins Stafflower Gold,Pellets,NUTS..walnuts brazil almonds Mac pis pecans not to forget fruits dried and fresh beans rice pasta birdy breads veggies...you get the idea...and then we have to deal with people wanting FREE TALKING birds BIG ones i think those ones are kool..you know the GREEN ones..most people can not even tell you what the bird is they think they want ok SORRY ..just wanted you to see it from another side....and sorry so many people have had such bad experiences..on the flip side me being a rescue have had MANY bad Experiences with adopting agian i appoligize if im out of line Tanya

Status
Not open for further replies.