• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where does your puppy sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
As of now (we just got Lancer for 1 week), he's sleeping on our bed. I'm debating if I should crate him in at night. Any feedback? or does anyone actually let your full grown dog on the bed?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
As of now (we just got Lancer for 1 week), he's sleeping on our bed. I'm debating if I should crate him in at night. Any feedback? or does anyone actually let your full grown dog on the bed?
Hi there,

It depends on where you want him to sleep as an adult. One of my dogs sleeps loose in our bedroom and is on the bed or on his own bed every night....his choice. I usually bring a small dog into the bed a few times a week two, just alternating. It is fine to let him sleep in the bed as long as he gets off when you ask, you make the bed a reward for him, and there is no aggression (like resource guarding of any kind). I train dogs professionally and a lot of people are concerned (because of old, , inaccurate, outdated dog training information) that dogs shouldn't sleep in the bed, but plenty of well trained, social, well adjusted dogs sleep on their owners beds with no problem. If the relationship is in balance, it won't be a problem:)

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I think its fine as long as they only come when invited up and get off immediately when you ask them. You have to be consistent or you will have a dog that thinks it can come on your bed anytime it wants and may refuse to get off. My dog rests her nose on the edge of my bed and waits for me to ask her to come up, if I dont want her up I just say go lie down and she does.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My dog will sleep with me, or hubby, but if both he gets down and goes to his own bed either right away, or in a few minutes. I keep him very clean, and wash the blankets often.
Heartly:heart:

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Sheba has always slept in her crate, she's a year and 3 months old and Still sleeps in her crate - If and when She can be trusted (she still gets into everything if we don't keep an eye on her) then she'll be allowed to sleep in my bed at night

we take naps together in my bed - but when I take a nap I don't sleep as hard as I do at night so every time she moves I wake up - so there is no eating my papers, my covers, my pillows, the Wood that is under my bed (supposed to hold it up lol )

but during the day my bed is her bed and its her play ground LOL

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
I tried crating Foxxy the 1st night she was home.... that lasted about 5mins with hubby. Ever since she's slept on the bed. It was very hard at first as hubby is a deep sleeper and I was constantly waking up to make sure he wasn't smothering her or on her tail, etc... Now that she's ever a year old, she knows enough to move on her own. I do still get annoyed sometimes when it is hubby and I as she tends to sleep in awkward places and falls into a deep sleep If I try to move her I get growled at, but I quickly tell her who's bed it is and she can go in her cage if she keeps it up! (she's very much like her mama (me) in that she's a little growly bear when woken up :hehe:) She usually sleeps in between our pillows or on top, which is pretty safe for her and for me to not get annoyed...:lol:
The only thing is she has become protective of the bed with the cat. If she is awake and hears him, she will not let him sleep on the bed. But that also seems to be an overall jealousy thing as she doesn't like me petting him either.... poor Oliver!!

Just keep in mind she is only a 10lb Pom mix.... those with bigger dogs who hog the bed may have different opinions! :lol:

Last edited:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
My dog will sleep with me, or hubby, but if both he gets down and goes to his own bed either right away, or in a few minutes. I keep him very clean, and wash the blankets often.
Heartly:heart:

Heartly is so cute, I bet I can guess where he got his name. :hehe:

My dog sleeps in bed with me, he has his own blanket he gets covered up with and will use a pillow. It's like having another person in bed, he only weighs about 60 lbs.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I tried crating Foxxy the 1st night she was home.... that lasted about 5mins with hubby. Ever since she's slept on the bed. It was very hard at first as hubby is a deep sleeper and I was constantly waking up to make sure he wasn't smothering her or on her tail, etc... Now that she's ever a year old, she knows enough to move on her own. I do still get annoyed sometimes when it is hubby and I as she tends to sleep in awkward places and falls into a deep sleep If I try to move her I get growled at, but I quickly tell her who's bed it is and she can go in her cage if she keeps it up! (she's very much like her mama (me) in that she's a little growly bear when woken up :hehe:)
The only thing is she has become protective of the bed with the cat. If she is awake and hears him, she will not let him sleep on the bed. But that also seems to be an overall jealousy thing as she doesn't like me petting him either.... poor Oliver!!
she sounds like the mini schnauzer we had when i was growing up.the dog hated me from the day i walked in but would sleep with me ;) but I rolled over not realizing he'd jumped in my bed and i accidentally swatted him with my hand - he tore me up! not a good way to wake my parents up LOL

but then again he bit my mom one day when she was trying to get into bed, it was dark and after he bit her she was beyond Mad, grabbed what ever was on the night stand(she had no clue what it was her glasses weren't on so she couldn't see anything any way plus it was dark) It ended up being a Lysol can threw it and hit my dad (who was dead asleep) right in the forehead

granted we laugh our butts off about it now but neither one was laughing that night BUT I WAS LOL

but he was jealous of anything that got between my mom or dad it seems to happen a lot with the smaller dogs - they have jealousy issues lol

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
I think its fine as long as they only come when invited up and get off immediately when you ask them. You have to be consistent or you will have a dog that thinks it can come on your bed anytime it wants and may refuse to get off. My dog rests her nose on the edge of my bed and waits for me to ask her to come up, if I dont want her up I just say go lie down and she does.
Exactly, Ally does the same thing. And if she's outside and I open the back door, she won't come in until I tell her. I decided to crate train her because it made it easier for me to potty train her. The first few nights were heart wrenching with her crying, but as she got older she began to love her crate. When I lived in an apartment, she would go to her crate to take naps. Now I mainly keep her outside.

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
Lancer will be starting puppy classes on Tuesday night for 8 weeks. so hopefully after learning basic commands (he knows how to sit already, so proud of him) he will be easier for me to "lead the pack".

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
our dogs sleep ANYWHERE, lol! when they were younger they used to be crated, but that hasn't happened in like, 7 years.

Usually, a blanket is left on a couch for them, and they snuggle under it. They have a bed hammoc thing with blankets they sleep on during the day and during the night sometimes.. Sometimes they come and sleep in my bed with me, and sometimes i sleep on the couch with them! hehe.

They'll sleep pretty much anywhere with a blanket for them to go under.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Mine sleeps on the bed or anywhere else. :p I have to strip the bed and wash everything every week, comforter and all. And vacuum furniture constantly. :huh:

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
hehe Yes time to wash those bed sheets soon. but I put a human thick blanket for him to use as his sheet and he's only allowed on that yet he sticks his head over.. sigh.. I think we spoil our dogs and birds too much :p

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Mia Sleeps on the bed w/ me & although shes under 5 pounds still shes a bed hog lol

oddbird

Walking the driveway
PS i got her as a pupppy,I crate trained her until she was 100% house trained (approx 4 mths old) & since then she mostly sleeps w/ me, but sometimes (if Im sick, or just want to really stretch out & have the bed to myself ) i will tell her to go lay down in her big crate (filled w/ comfy pillow & blankets, etc ) & shes fine with that too ...but she usually prefers the bed :D

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:hehe: All 4 of them sleep with us:D
the dachshunds stay all night, Buddy comes and goes (we think he is an english setter, about 70-80 lbs) but there's room for everybody :heart:

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
both of my dogs sleep in my bed but my big dog sleeps outside on his blanky lol

M

M.C Bird Rescue

ALL of our 4 leggeds, cats and dogs sleep in a pile next to my bed! hahahah It is a sight and hope you do not have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Walking between animals and legs...the worst is Daphne. She thinks she is a chihuahua. My husband has been woken up by her 165 lbs jumping on him many times. :hehe:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Angela & Vicki. He has such a good spirit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.