• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do you clean your cage(s)?

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
They're expensive, but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.
I don't think mine are that expensive. But I get mine locally.

What size is your cage?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@caspin22

I love those wax paper sheets..... can't remember how I lived without them!
I use them as well. I used to put paper towels on top of them and throw those out everyday, and then change the lined papers weekly, but the last year or so Michael has decided to go and shred the paper towels, so that is no longer an option.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I use them as well. I used to put paper towels on top of them and throw those out everyday, and then change the lined papers weekly, but the last year or so Michael has decided to go and shred the paper towels, so that is no longer an option.
I do both also.

Hubby encouraged me to buy those wax papers. So so thankful he did!

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
I do it a little bit at a time and as I can. Example: I'll spray down a cage and let it sit while I work on their breakfast, then scrub down while they are eating. I'll change papers while I'm waiting for the oven to heat up for human dinner. I sweep after the kids are in bed.

And some days, a quick wipe down and paper change is all that happens. :shrug: I'm only one person, I've got a lot going on, and if the floor is crunchy for a day or two, I'm not going to fret :) Life's too short.
This made me feel better I put cloth puppy pads in the bottom and newspapers on top I change the papers once a day and wipe big messes off during the week if they need it, change water bowls once or twice a day, dump out Mrs crumbles her pellets in her bowl and anything that needs it some are very clean others not so much.... The weekend I soak the cages in the tub while they free fly in the room in vinegar and hot water and everything wipes off like a dream. Anything that needs to air dry awhile I take out and usually have extra of everything so they lay out and we start fresh.
(I learned this from my hedgehog I got from a great breeder who also has multiple pets because they can be a mess)

I hear people talking about all the cleaning they do and I feel like I'm doing something wrong but they're clean, healthy and happy so it must not be to terrible. I work full-time and I'm a single person with a multiple species and special needs pet household so I create a routine for everything and it is the only way to make it work for me and still have time to spend with each of my babies.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I don't think mine are that expensive. But I get mine locally.

What size is your cage?
I have (2) 32x23", (3) 32x21", and (1) 21x17". I order batches of I think 100 sheets each for each size. It's like $75 per batch.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So 600 sheets?

I'll double check mine, I just bought over the weekend. I'm thinking 20 cents each? So yours would be cheaper??

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I just cut them out of newspaper, like 25 at once. But I’m cheap. Precut wax paper would be more convenient and nicer.