• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do you clean your cage(s)?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, April! Got nearly 8 hours sleep last night!! :wideyed: Instead of the usual 4 - 5 hours. Yay - I enjoyed cleaning this morning. It took far less time than in the night, plus I could see the dirt better in natural daylight! Win win! Night 2 done, although I had to stop myself from spot cleaning too thoroughly! :laugh:
That's fantastic to hear! I'm so happy for you,truly! Getting the proper amount of sleep is definitely a quality of life change for the better.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I dustbuster around the cages too. Trouble is all the birds go into shower mode if I bring out the big vacuum cleaner! :wideyed: Which was the reason why I bought the dustbuster in the first place.

Just Googled - looks fantastic! Cordless is absolutely ideal! Terry does this sound more like the dustbuster or a proper vacuum cleaner?
More like a regular vacuum, not high pitched and the birds don't usually freak out when I run it around their cages. My only complaint is the battery doesn't always last a long time and extra batteries are expensive and hard to find. Eventually the Chinese aftermarket battery makers will jump in with cheaper and bigger capacity versions if it's popular enough.
I can run it in eco mode and it rune at a constant lower power and speed mode that still picks up the bird debris quite nicely and the power head almost never plugs up, unlike my old one that almost always got completely plugged up with that junk and would drop it all over the carpet when I put it away. You can probably get 15 minutes or so of time in eco mode, then there's auto where it senses the dirt level and ramps up and down, then turbo which is max speed and suction for really dirty spots and deep cleaning.
Pippen used to alarm call whenever the robot ran during the day but it runs at night so she's usually asleep and doesn't freak out.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I won't let hubby run the eufy vacuum at night. I was worried it would scare Secret.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Most of my birds take baths in their water dishes whenever I run the vacuum!:laugh:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wipe everything down daily when they are out, perches in dishwasher Saturday remove all toys wash everything.
Brush up all the time

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret may want to move.....

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
After reading everyone's posts, I feel ashamed to admit my cleaning schedule....

Evenings - change newspaper, wash water dish and chop dish in hot soapy water. Sweep floors.
Once a week - wash seed and pellet bowls in hot soapy water.

Once every 4 weeks - deep clean cage. First wash. Then disinfect with F10. Wash all perches and toys in hot soapy vinegar water. Re-set up cage with rotation of different perches and toys. Dust rooms top to bottom.

Based on everyone's responses, maybe I should wipe the bars and perches in-between the deep cage cleans? Sprite, Wisp, and Erwin are the "cleanest" birds I've ever had. The pretty much just poop on the papers and don't poop on the bars. I've cleaned on a two week in the past with some of my messier birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
After reading everyone's posts, I feel ashamed to admit my cleaning schedule....

Evenings - change newspaper, wash water dish and chop dish in hot soapy water. Sweep floors.
Once a week - wash seed and pellet bowls in hot soapy water.

Once every 4 weeks - deep clean cage. First wash. Then disinfect with F10. Wash all perches and toys in hot soapy vinegar water. Re-set up cage with rotation of different perches and toys. Dust rooms top to bottom.

Based on everyone's responses, maybe I should wipe the bars and perches in-between the deep cage cleans? Sprite, Wisp, and Erwin are the "cleanest" birds I've ever had. The pretty much just poop on the papers and don't poop on the bars. I've cleaned on a two week in the past with some of my messier birds.
Ripley gets his cage cleaned less often than Bosco; simply because he is in his cage less and doesn't often poop in it! And there are some times when he is nesty that I leave the bottom of his cage alone for a couple weeks because I like my fingers :lol: I think you have to do what fits your situation :)

Bowls I always wash daily though; I have a spare set to swap out :)

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Ripley gets his cage cleaned less often than Bosco; simply because he is in his cage less and doesn't often poop in it! And there are some times when he is nesty that I leave the bottom of his cage alone for a couple weeks because I like my fingers :lol: I think you have to do what fits your situation :)

Bowls I always wash daily though; I have a spare set to swap out :)
My old vet had on the paperwork to wash bowls weekly. Do you think that's too infrequent? I used to wash them daily until I read my follow up care.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My old vet had on the paperwork to wash bowls weekly. Do you think that's too infrequent? I used to wash them daily until I read my follow up care.
I wouldn't want to eat cereal out of the same bowl every day :)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Daily washing is a must to help prevent bacterial growth that could sicken our babies.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I wouldn't want to eat cereal out of the same bowl every day :)
Very true. I'm not making it up, it was in the follow up care paperwork after an appointment. I will switch to daily for the food bowls.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel like it might also be because I have white cages so it's super obvious when there's even a bit of dirt on them. Most of the time it's the wood dust from their toys gets on the cage bars and grooves instead of any poop. So I do think it's a pretty good idea to give the bars a wipe whenever you have time especially if your bird shreds a lot of toys

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Very true. I'm not making it up, it was in the follow up care paperwork after an appointment. I will switch to daily for the food bowls.
I don't doubt you at all! I know a lot of people used to dump in a bunch of seeds and then it was recommended to just blow the husks out every day and leave the rest in there, so it was probably a middle ground :)

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
I clean every Sunday vacuum, scrub cage, perches, toys, clean up poop, disinfect etc. Spot clean daily

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
Dang. I wish that I was this into cleaning. I stack papers in the cage tray so I can just lift off a layer or two of paper and call it done. I scrape the cage grate when needed and soak and bake perches when needed. My guys don’t generally poop their perches so that’s not a problem. Toys and dishes get taken down and cleaned as needed. Food dishes get cleaned with every use. I hate vacuuming and don’t do it enough. My joke is that I’m starting the next generation of the rainforest understory.

But I have a friend who has ocd and obsessive spartanism. She has to give things into the keeping of other people if she wants to know that they’ll not be thrown away (ex: important papers or photos.). when my place is even slightly messy, she cannot come over. It makes her too anxious.

I wish she and I could compromise on our issues and then we’d be normal. I have been having migraines every day and my apartment is a mess. I need to get it cleaned in a week or two and I’m a bit worried about that.
So glad to see this response and find I’m not the only one who doesn’t clean every day. I was surprised to see all the posters who do. I admire the idea.

I have a wonderful big acrylic cage for my Parrotlet and I clean it completely once a week with vinegar and water. Obviously, he’s out (usually on me) when I’m cleaning. Daily mostly, but not OCD about it, I pull out his tray and replace the paper under the grid, usually at night right before he goes to bed.

Jolly is insanely messy with his morning meal of fresh sprouts, chop, and leafy veggies and he’s also a water dunker. I fought that in the beginning but that didn’t last long. Since he’s flighted he’s always going to take his fresh food (especially the sprouts), all over the cage looking for a bowl of water to dunk them in, so I just go with his preference and provide a little bowl of water for him along with the fresh foods. Here’s the way I found to help contain this little blue chef’s daily “cooking” mess - I have a clear shoe storage box that goes in his cage every morning turned on its side with the plate of food and bowl of water placed in there. It’s his “kitchen “ and he can create to his heart’s content. Then I just take the shoe box out after an hour or two and the huge mess comes with it. That saves a lot of gunk from getting smeared and stuck all over the place.

I do clean all his play areas outside the cage daily with a dust buster and paper towels with water/vinegar sprayed on them to make sure my dog doesn’t consume toy parts. And for a bit of sanity. How does that saying go? Control what you can and put your sunglasses on for the rest?:)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I put glass covers on my dressers where my birds live, and I’ve got plexiglass to confine Jaspers mess (and Jasper). Both birds have a rug under their cage doors so the carpet doesn’t get pooped. I really like plexiglass for containing thrown food. You can get thin pieces cut to size and attach with Velcro tape or holes and cable ties.

I keep a diluted bleach sprayer near my kitchen sink so bird dishes get bleached and then washed like regular dishes. Anything pooped gets cleaned in the bathroom.

I used to have a medically delicate bird and her cage had perches and cage liner changed every two days. I had extras of her special perches (horizontal ladders) so as soon as something got dirty it was switched out. And I buy extra food dishes so anything outright dirty or holding wet food simply gets switched while the old dishes are cleaned.

Having one or two extras makes it a bit easier to just swap out things if they get pooped or touch wet food.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I freely admit that I do not clean cages every day, and I ain't ashamed. :) Cage tray papers get changed every weekend. I have the pre-cut-to-size waxed papers for each size cage which makes it pretty simple. Grates and perches are cleaned/scrubbed as needed. Cage bars are wiped as needed.

All of my cages use the same D-shaped food/water bowls. I invested in a ton of extra bowls (King's cages sells them individually if you need them!), so I always have a bunch of clean bowls on hand. Every day, all the water bowls from the cages come out and go into the dishwasher, and I fill clean ones and put them in. I do the same for the fresh food bowls - used ones come out and into the dishwasher, clean ones go back in with fresh sprouts/veggies/whatever they are eating that day. None of my birds tend to poop in their pellet dishes, so those get washed closer to weekly, or as needed.

I sweep the floor 2-3 times a day or as things get crunchy underfoot. :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@caspin22

I love those wax paper sheets..... can't remember how I lived without them!