• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do Male Cockatiels start to whistle?

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
I bought my sweet Cockatiel, Sprite, about a month ago. I kinda wanted a male but at the end I don't really care, I love him/her anyways. When I bought Sprite, he/she was 2 and a half months old. It was too early to tell gender so the nice lady who sold him/her to me based on his behavior so far.

Now Sprite is 3 1/2 months old and he/she doesn't make any noise. Sprite makes a flock call when I leave the room. Or when I stand up he makes a soft "oh" chirp sound. That's about the only sounds Sprite makes. He hasn't gone through his/her first molt yet.

I'm curious about your guys' cockatiels. At what age did your male Cockatiels start whistling?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think mine started making cute little chirping/talking noises at about 4-5 months old. I think he started doing heart wings at about the same time.

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
I have wild birds and when we first got them the male silently chirped after a week or two then as it got more comfortable he began chirping songs. The female after a month or so, but both are just as vocal as each other they just needed to feel comfortable. I don't quite know their age, but we suspect at least 4-5 years; however, I believe they have chirped beforehand just became quiet in the new environment.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Harley was vocal since I got him (which was when he was about 3 months old). He was shy at first, but came out of his shell. Within about two weeks he was chirping along to sounds and noises, then later in the year (about 5 - 6 months) he started trying to imitate the canaries! He might not be a great singer but he definitely is a little comedian, he whistles, chirps and laughs. Sometimes Luna joins in, but very rarely. She is a very shy bird and whenever she chirps I come rushing and it's just so adorable :heart::xflove::xflove:

Modell

Strolling the yard
I just got my first bird a little over a week ago. I don't know the gender as of yet, but she/he just hatched April first of this year. My baby is already singing and imitating sounds and can say pretty bird. She/he started shortly after I brought them home, so at about 6 weeks. I guess it kind of depends on the bird, so hopefully your baby will start whistling soon as well! Best of luck!
P.S. You should post some pictures of your baby, I'd love to see them. :)

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
I just got my first bird a little over a week ago. I don't know the gender as of yet, but she/he just hatched April first of this year. My baby is already singing and imitating sounds and can say pretty bird. She/he started shortly after I brought them home, so at about 6 weeks. I guess it kind of depends on the bird, so hopefully your baby will start whistling soon as well! Best of luck!
P.S. You should post some pictures of your baby, I'd love to see them. :)
There he/she is

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's precious!!!:heart::heart::heart:

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Mine started at around 4 months, I initially though he was a female until he grew up a little and noticed his tail feather colorings along with this characteristics.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I just got an albino more than 2 weeks. Can anyone has an idea to tell it is boy or girl without DNA test. Thanks.
I have an all-white one, too! Mine is named Spirit.

You can take her in a dark room and use a black light to look for the markings under the wings. Hens have them/males don’t. Don’t know if you have to wait till the first molt, though. @Monica ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, must wait until the first molt for the wing spot/tail bars to work with Inos! (as long as they aren't pieds!)

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
My little boy Agro started whistling around 3-4 months of age, and has whistled up a storm ever since, with a multitude of tunes :D

Anhtapzee

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
I don’t see any mark under its wings or any color mark on its tail either. He/she occasionally chirp only, but not a lot. It’s about 3 months old. Are all cockatiels start out chirping and then whistle and talk?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Females are not known for whistling... I did have a female that wolf whistled, and she laid eggs, so no doubt female! But generally speaking, males will be more vocal and are usually more vocal by about 16 weeks.

The bars/spots can be difficult to see on Ino birds, they are not present on pied birds.

@Anhtapzee Lutino under a black light

Max83

Walking the driveway
mine started trying to make some noises other than call flock when he was just weaned (2 months old), but I'd say that started really whistle at about 3 months.

In the beginning I heard him from the other room and he stopped and seemed startled when I stepped in there, like he was ashamed of being heard because the singing was not already perfect ahah.

I heard some male cockatiel don't start until they are 7/8 months old

Max83

Walking the driveway
Females are not known for whistling... I did have a female that wolf whistled, and she laid eggs, so no doubt female! But generally speaking, males will be more vocal and are usually more vocal by about 16 weeks.

The bars/spots can be difficult to see on Ino birds, they are not present on pied birds.

@Anhtapzee Lutino under a black light

so interesting the pic! where do you find the black light?? I want one too :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Max83 If in USA, usually easy to find in some stores.... sometimes pet stores (to detect cat urine in the home - or use to find scorpions at night!), sometimes in grocery stores (i.e. Walmart? - Tube or bulb version), or even in "pop culture" inspired stores. (stores that may cater to goths, punks, people with a twisted sense of humor, hippies, etc) Or you could just go to Amazon or Ebay and buy one there! I have 3 different versions of a black light but I think I like the tube light the best! (I have tube, bulb and LED). Granted, it's been several years since I've used any of them...

Also.... not my bird! That was a DNA tested male under a black light. Obviously, still a baby because he has his baby (aka "female") feathers! The bars on tail feathers, spots on wings!

I can confirm these markings are *ALSO* on albino cockatiels. That said, they *DO NOT* appear on pied feathers... Pied is, after all, an anti-dimorphic mutation...

Anhtapzee

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
Hi, everyone, my 4 months old tiel just start making these sound, but I’m unsure this is male or female sound. Please advice. Thanks