• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do Male Cockatiels start to whistle?

Anhtapzee

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
I’m sorry, my video file was too big for uploading

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I’m sorry, my video file was too big for uploading
Best to create your own thread and upload to Youtube, Facebook, Vimeo, LiveLeak or any other video hosting website. Make sure video is public!

giselle caro

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
giselle
solstice:pearl: violet:budgie2: easter :budgie7:

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
I bought my sweet Cockatiel, Sprite, about a month ago. I kinda wanted a male but at the end I don't really care, I love him/her anyways. When I bought Sprite, he/she was 2 and a half months old. It was too early to tell gender so the nice lady who sold him/her to me based on his behavior so far.

Now Sprite is 3 1/2 months old and he/she doesn't make any noise. Sprite makes a flock call when I leave the room. Or when I stand up he makes a soft "oh" chirp sound. That's about the only sounds Sprite makes. He hasn't gone through his/her first molt yet.

I'm curious about your guys' cockatiels. At what age did your male Cockatiels start whistling?

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
I know this is a old posted. I just got my 14 wks old cockatiel doing the same chirp noises as Sprite. I’m hoping for a make too. I’m just curious if Sprite a Male or Female???????

Last edited:

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
I know this is a old posted. I just got my 14 wks old cockatiel doing the same chirp noises as Sprite. I’m hoping for a male too. I’m just curious if Sprite a Male or Female???????

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
Joshua started whistling and saying his first word around four or five months. Actually says a lot of words now. In a few weeks he will be one year old.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
The pet shop told me that mine is more likely a male. At this moment it sounds like a girl. I’m glad to hear that I still have a few more months to know for sure.... Thank You!

truenorth

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Newman
According to those posting, it appears cockatiel males will start singing at various ages. Our male was so quiet at 4/5 months of age we thought we bought a "quiet" bird. Not so, one month later he found his voice and has never stopped. Keep whistling tunes to your bird as he may not be singing but will be picking up those tunes to sing later.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know this is a old posted. I just got my 14 wks old cockatiel doing the same chirp noises as Sprite. I’m hoping for a make too. I’m just curious if Sprite a Male or Female???????
Sometimes it helps to create a new thread to get more responses.

Males can start as early as around 16 weeks/4 months (give or take), but some may remain quiet for longer.

Do you have any idea why the shop said probably male? This could help us to confirm what they said or not.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
Sometimes it helps to create a new thread to get more responses.

Males can start as early as around 16 weeks/4 months (give or take), but some may remain quiet for longer.

Do you have any idea why the shop said probably male? This could help us to confirm what they said or not.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
The young guy that was helping me at the bird shop said that he doesn’t know much about cockatiels gender. He called these two older guys over thats been in the bird business for 30+Plus Years. He told me that they are the experts when it comes to birds.
First Guy ; Base on his head or was it the feathers on his head, it’s a Male.
Second Guy ‍; He heard the bird chips a few times and said it was 95% Male base on the high pitch. He said female chip vocals are not that high..
I’ve been watching lots of cockatiel chirping videos. To me it sounds like a female. I’m still waiting for my bird to whistle or do other male vocals...

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
I bought my sweet Cockatiel, Sprite, about a month ago. I kinda wanted a male but at the end I don't really care, I love him/her anyways. When I bought Sprite, he/she was 2 and a half months old. It was too early to tell gender so the nice lady who sold him/her to me based on his behavior so far.

Now Sprite is 3 1/2 months old and he/she doesn't make any noise. Sprite makes a flock call when I leave the room. Or when I stand up he makes a soft "oh" chirp sound. That's about the only sounds Sprite makes. He hasn't gone through his/her first molt yet.

I'm curious about your guys' cockatiels. At what age did your male Cockatiels start whistling?
My 5 month old tiel Ivan isn't very vocal for a tiel, he started vocalising after being with me for a month(I've had him 2) he vocalises some when in his cage. My former tiel Henry started vocalising straight away after I got him and was "very" vocal for 24 yrs. When I first brought Ivan home I thought "what a nice quiet little bird" he can belt it out now when he wants

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
According to those posting, it appears cockatiel males will start singing at various ages. Our male was so quiet at 4/5 months of age we thought we bought a "quiet" bird. Not so, one month later he found his voice and has never stopped. Keep whistling tunes to your bird as he may not be singing but will be picking up those tunes to sing later.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
I don’t know how to whistle ☹
I’ve been replaying you tube videos of other cockatiels whistling, talking, and singing...