• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what type of indian ringneck is this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for being so patient with all our questions. The more info we have the better. Is that his ring starting to come in in the second pic or just the lighting? That's a great closeup! :)

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Yes it is his ring starting to come up :) Its bright orange and red on the other side, with a hint of blue, and yellow as you can see. If we can get his mottled wee body sorted out, he'll be one little cutie ! Hey thats no problem, thank you guys for your help!

laeken

Meeting neighbors
If anyone would like to know his parrot mix includes french white millet, sunflower, peanuts, corn, hulled oats, wheat, linseed, barley, rape seed, and safflower. So does he need to be replacing this stuff with pellets ?

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
As a start you could switch him from that seed mix onto a budgie mix, without all the sunflower, peanuts, corn, wheat, and safflower. :) Pellets along with all his fresh foods would be a better long term diet though.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, he should still have pellets. Continue with fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably with no salt added. Seeds should only be offered as a small portion of the diet, same with nuts. Sprouted seeds are much healthier than seeds. It sort of turns them into veggies.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
okay, will do ! so are seeds and all that not very good for them? thanks for your advice guys :)

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Nuts and seeds have some nutrition to them, including calcium so are good in moderation, but they are high in fat so should not be fed as the majority of the diet. They can cause fatty liver disease. Parrots fed seed diets do not live nearly as long as parrots fed a well balanced diet including pellets.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
okay so should i buy pellets as his main food source that he goes to whenever, and along with the fruits and veges we give him throughout the day, and sprinkle some seeds and a couple of nuts over it for the calcium, but not too much, ?sorry for all the questions, Thanks so much for your help by the way

Last edited:

myrka2004

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marina
hi guys, would anyone be able to tell me what kind of indian ringneck kesh is, i havent seen one like him before
does Keshi was like that color from a baby stage or it come out after molt?

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Hi there, Kesh had a couple of brown splotches on his wings when we bought him and it just progressed from there.

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
okay so should i buy pellets as his main food source that he goes to whenever, and along with the fruits and veges we give him throughout the day, and a little side dish with very few seeds and nuts? or only serve nuts and seeds like a few days out of the week? sorry for all the questions, Thanks so much for your help by the way
Pellets should probably be about 40% of the diet. Try to avoid artificial colours. Many people suggest Harrisons, Roudybush or TOPS but I haven't tried these yet. Continue with fruits and veggies, in a variety. Carrots, sweet potato, green leafy veggies like kale, broccoli, cauliflower are good. The more colours of veggies you offer, the more variety of vitamins and minerals he will get. I think raw is better in most cases as it won't spoil as quickly, but you can still offer cooked when you are having dinner. Sweet potato is something they like cooked and not sure it should be offered raw. Fruits have vitamins but also a lot of sugar (natural) so should be offered but in less quantity than veggies. Many add grains like brown rice or quinoa to the veggie mix (chop or mash).

And some people don't feed pellets but it would take a good knowledge of nutrition to provide an adequate diet of fresh foods. Also hard if you work full-time as cooked food should not be left more than an hour or two as it will spoil quickly.

If your parrot won't take dry pellets at first, try moistening them with warm water. I spoon fed one of mine for a couple of weeks with warm wet pellets to get him eating them. Then he would eat the dry ones on his own.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Really? do you have any pictures of one so I can see :)

laeken

Meeting neighbors
okay thanks DQ ! You such a great help, thankyou so much for that comprehensive information! I'll put him onto pellets and keep that in mind about the fruit and veges! Hopefully we will see a change in his coloring otherwise perhaps he is just a mutation. But I definitely want the wee man to be healthy so thanks again for that information, I'm so glad forums exist so we can get all the help we need :)

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
A friend has suggested that it looks like a Vitamin D3 deficiency - does the bird live inside?

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Yep Keshy does, and yes that could be a possibility, i didnt think of that!

Last edited:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Yep Keshy does, and yes that could be a possibility, i didnt think of that!
Might be worth trying some time outside in the sunshine, or full spectrum lighting over his cage.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Its winter here, so no luck with sunlight, perhaps oranges? although when i've given him oranges, or manderin he doesn't seem to like them.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Laeken, where are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.