• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what type of indian ringneck is this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
hi guys, would anyone be able to tell me what kind of indian ringneck kesh is, i havent seen one like him before

Attachments

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
wow, that's interesting. I've never seen one like that before!

laeken

Meeting neighbors
I know right, we bought him at a pet shop, and he was labelled as a green indian ringneck so im extremely curious as to what he is!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is a normal (green) indian ringneck. His feathers are just in terrible condition. Once he is on a good diet and has a heavy molt he should look normal.

Matt

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Interesting Matt, his condition must be absoloutely shocking if that's a normal green :|
Looks like he'll be a super happy lil dude once he gets to experience a proper diet

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Really? Because Kesh eats tea every night with us which includes vegetables, and we are always giving him fresh fruit and pellets daily?

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to AA. How long have you had the little guy and what does his diet consist of besides what you mentioned? Also how old is he? Do you know how long he was at the pet shop? Are there any smokers in the house? Sorry for all the questions but his feather condition is unusual. :)

Last edited:

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Hi there, we have had keshy for around a year and a half and we got him from the pet shop when he was a baby. Kesh has the normal parrot seeds and nuts in her bowl and we feed her vegetables every night when we have tea such as chicken, potatoes, peas, and all the vegetables in a salad, pasta etc and throughout the day we feed her fruit like apples, banana and grapes.

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'd agree that the feather condition is poor... when I saw the picture I was going to ask if he was wet. Has he been to a vet for a checkup?

What sort of pellets are you feeding?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Does Kesh get regular baths/showers and are there any smokers in the house? Do you recall when his feathers started to change?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just posted your pic of Kesh here before seeing this thread. My question I have is, has Kesh always been this color since you got him 1 1/2 yrs ago? I also posted elsewhere this I felt it was poor feather condition or nutritional. Curious to see others responses.
The tea you offer is decaffeinated, yes?

laeken

Meeting neighbors
yeah the vet has never thought something is wrong with him, and when we take him to the pet store to get his nails clipped they say that he is very different and that hes probley a mutation. Yep kesh baths himself generally once a week if not more, and nope we have no smokers in the house, it it started happening when we bought him, when we first saw him in the shop he had a few brown splotches over him but nothing major and when we bought him, he just progressively became more browner. we feed him a mixture of seeds, with dried corn, and like nuts in there from the grocery store, it is a parrot mix.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
what do you mean bu tea being decaffeinated? i mean with the tea we have at night, like vegetables and stuff, we don't give him actual drinking tea :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Seeds and nuts are a nutritionally incomplete diet, unfortunately with seed mixes what gets labelled as a "parrot mix" is misleading. Switching him onto a pelleted diet would be beneficial for him, definitely check out the food section of the forum, it is packed with good diet information :)

Do the feathers have a normal texture? It's interesting that the vet hasn't said anything about the coloring

laeken

Meeting neighbors
oh okay thanks, because its interesting, because my boyfriend has an indian ringneck and his parrot is perfect looking and yet he feeds him the same mixture, and yes im pretty sure they have normal texture, the pet shop we get his nails clipped at havent said anything about his features being different ?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Each parrot processes food differently. So what may be lacking for your bird might not be for another. I would try and get him on a pellet diet with limited seed and just a very few nuts.

laeken

Meeting neighbors
hmm okay, yeah well it doesn't have that many nuts? its just interesting because he eats so good it would just be weird if his features were like that because of his diet. I mean he eats heaps of fruits and veges, but i will definately look into it, and thanks very much!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It's entirely possible that he is a mutation, there is an olive color that looks about like the darker color from what I've seen, it's just highly unusual that the feathers are so mottled, which is why we are all concerned. I promise everyone here has the best intentions at heart, we're not trying to jump down your throat!

You're doing a good job if he'll eat fruits and veggies, the key is to know which ones to offer. Pellets are going to offer the birds a more nutritionally complete diet than the seeds and nuts, which are extremely fatty. They're sort of like the potato chips and soda part of the diet. Converting them to a pelleted diet may take some time, but the benefits are phenomenal!

laeken

Meeting neighbors
Awh I know! Thanks heaps all you guys anyway, I am extremely appreciative with all your help, yes ill definitely look in to changing his diet to that and pop into the pet store and see how he goes with it, but thank you heaps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.