• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to get for a cage replacement? please help

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Hey peeps,

So I currently have an A&E Victorian Top cage for my Rose Crown Conure. I am looking for a new cage. The reason being is I live in a condo and I don't quite have the room for a separate play stand and a cage I am hoping to get a new cage with a play stand on top. I am hoping you all will share your experiences and recommendations. Also can people advise on colours I've only ever had platinum or black cages.

Cage I own and Play stand I currently have:

upload_2018-9-29_15-48-48.png

My Rose Crown Conure Zoey is a small Conure. She is slightly bigger then a Green Cheek but smaller than her cousins the blue crowns.

The space you see in the photos is the space I have available for a new cage.

So far I've been looking into some options...

King's Cage: 32 x23
King's Cages - 32" x 23" Playpen Top Cage | Parrot Trends Canada

Midwest:
Midwest Homes for Pets Nina Bird Cage-Platinum Play Top: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
or
Midwest Homes for Pets Chiquita Play Top Bird Cage Color: Platinum: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Prevue: Although this one might be too long...
Prevue Pet Products 3159 Deluxe Double Top Bird Cage Black Hammertone: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Please Help!!!!

Thanks

Attachments

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vote is for the King's. The AA cages are both on the small side (Chiquita's okay, but personally I like larger because my conures are so active). The split level cages in general are not very good because most birds like to be up high, so only half of the cage will likely be used. In terms of colour, I always get white cages. Just a personal preference of mine, but I think white cages look classier.

So yeah... my first choice is the King's, then the Chiquita.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A note: I have that King's cage, and the quality isn't the best. It arrived with bent bars, crooked welds... King's Cages refunded me $50 for the defects, but still thought I should mention it. I got it like 5 years ago though, so maybe quality has changed since. AA cage quality used to be superb, but I think they recently made some not so desirable changes to their cage designs (like welded instead of threaded bars, and dowel perches instead of natural wood perches). I think @saroj12 got a Chiquita recently, so she can speak to its quality better than I can.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
A note: I have that King's cage, and the quality isn't the best. It arrived with bent bars, crooked welds... King's Cages refunded me $50 for the defects, but still thought I should mention it. I got it like 5 years ago though, so maybe quality has changed since. AA cage quality used to be superb, but I think they recently made some not so desirable changes to their cage designs (like welded instead of threaded bars, and dowel perches instead of natural wood perches). I think @saroj12 got a Chiquita recently, so she can speak to its quality better than I can.
So far so good. One before this was atrocious....metal cracked and rusted.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could always buy a separate play stand to attach to the cage you already have also :) Or make one basically by using perches on the outside of the cage

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
My vote is for the King's. The AA cages are both on the small side (Chiquita's okay, but personally I like larger because my conures are so active). The split level cages in general are not very good because most birds like to be up high, so only half of the cage will likely be used. In terms of colour, I always get white cages. Just a personal preference of mine, but I think white cages look classier.

So yeah... my first choice is the King's, then the Chiquita.

Thanks I was personally leaning towards the king cages as well.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
do you have a picture of your cage?

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
You could always buy a separate play stand to attach to the cage you already have also :) Or make one basically by using perches on the outside of the cage
Thanks for the suggestion, but the top of my cage isn't really big enough to put a play stand on. My current cage does open up at the top to be used but I never liked that idea so she doesn't even know it opens there. The branches idea I have done. :D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 4 Chiquitas and they have been OK. In fact I would like to order a few more. You should also check out the Avian Adventures Loro Flight cage. That's the cage I use for my Dusky Conure. No play top, though, but the top is flat and you could easily create a play top. If you are going to order a King's may be best to order from Bonka Bird Toys via his webpage, through ebay or Amazon. He has excellent customer service in case there are issues.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
I have 4 Chiquitas and they have been OK. In fact I would like to order a few more. You should also check out the Avian Adventures Loro Flight cage. That's the cage I use for my Dusky Conure. No play top, though, but the top is flat and you could easily create a play top. If you are going to order a King's may be best to order from Bonka Bird Toys via his webpage, through ebay or Amazon. He has excellent customer service in case there are issues.

My only worry is the bar sizing on the chiquitas for the width of cage I want they have 3/4 bar spacing and I have a Rose Crown Conure so I am not sue if she can do a 3/4 bar spacing where as the kings comes with a 5/8th bar spacing. I've really been trying to do my homework on these so everyoe's input is super helpful. Thank you

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My only worry is the bar sizing on the chiquitas for the width of cage I want they have 3/4 bar spacing and I have a Rose Crown Conure so I am not sue if she can do a 3/4 bar spacing where as the kings comes with a 5/8th bar spacing. I've really been trying to do my homework on these so everyoe's input is super helpful. Thank you

The Loro has 1/2 inch bar spacing but I realize you are looking for a cage that has a play top. I probably wouldn't put my Dusky in a Chiquita but it was on your list so thought I would let you know that the ones I've received have generally been OK.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my Linnie a King's cage last week. JosienBB said the quality wasn't good on the specific King's in your link. My choice was from the superior line, so maybe there is a difference in quality to consider. Or maybe they have improved since the purchase 5 years ago. I called King's and ordered it directly from them. They met the Amazon price. I received it 2 days later. Quality is awesome, packed securely, no chips or bent bars. Took about 2 hours to put together with my hub and everything lined up. I can't recommend them any higher. The one I bought is for a smaller bird (SLF2818) but I wanted to share my experience and the quality. It's very similar to the California Cage I had decades ago. I think it's a lifetime cage. I love the AA Loro cage too but it's too big for my little girl.

As far as play gyms go, I prefer a separate one but I understand the space considerations.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a picture of when I first assembled it:
kingscage3223.jpg

Here are pictures of the defects:
defect1.jpg defect2.jpg defect3.jpg defect4.jpg defect-barspace1.jpg defect-barspace2.jpg defect-barspace3.jpg

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I managed to jam in the castor at the end, so that problem resolved itself lol.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My only worry is the bar sizing on the chiquitas for the width of cage I want they have 3/4 bar spacing and I have a Rose Crown Conure so I am not sue if she can do a 3/4 bar spacing where as the kings comes with a 5/8th bar spacing.
I have my (admittedly rather fat) green cheek and black capped conures in a King's aluminum 33"x25", which has 3/4" bar spacing, for several years and they've been fine. Rose crowns are chunkier than GCCs generally, so I should think 3/4" should be okay for them.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah.... I paid $450 USD for it at the time.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki

The Loro has 1/2 inch bar spacing but I realize you are looking for a cage that has a play top. I probably wouldn't put my Dusky in a Chiquita but it was on your list so thought I would let you know that the ones I've received have generally been OK.

I appreciate all your advice thanks! I realized after i posted once I did more research about the bar spacing, but yes it is on the list. :D Thanks again