• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do About a Jealous Bird?

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
My form of avoidance is video calling, data allowing. All skype, facetime, etc. calls involve dangling a bird in front of the lens, dancing her across the screen and otherwise goofing around with appreciative sounds coming from the device. My family and friends know what to expect and the birds LOVE when I videochat with people!

On the regular phone, training with intentionally short calls while station training with praise, praise, praise and any other rewards your bird likes is an option. Maybe no phone calls to begin with, just fake it, and then recruit someone who is happy to laugh at you for a few mins a couple of times a day so you can genuinely work up to being distracted from your bird but practiced at remembering to throw praise regularly enough anyway :roflmao:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My form of avoidance is video calling, data allowing. All skype, facetime, etc. calls involve dangling a bird in front of the lens, dancing her across the screen and otherwise goofing around with appreciative sounds coming from the device. My family and friends know what to expect and the birds LOVE when I videochat with people!

On the regular phone, training with intentionally short calls while station training with praise, praise, praise and any other rewards your bird likes is an option. Maybe no phone calls to begin with, just fake it, and then recruit someone who is happy to laugh at you for a few mins a couple of times a day so you can genuinely work up to being distracted from your bird but practiced at remembering to throw praise regularly enough anyway :roflmao:

Sounds like a good solution, video chat ,etc. gives the bird ability to join in and see what all the squawks about , does it help in quieting down. Isabelle my MM2 likes to hang out on my arm or shoulder to watch what I'm doing on my cell phone. She's learning how to use her beak to scroll and tap to open a link .
:fairy:

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
It does for me; so long as I bounce her upside down in front of the screen like a word prompter every couple of minutes she is happy to show-off preen on my shoulder in between with only quiet conure grunts instead of talking over me with buzzes which she sometimes does on an audio call. Little conure, though - her talking over is really quiet!

Oh Isabelle! So skilled! Soon you’ll be downloading apps for her and allocating screen time on an otterboxed ipad! :rofl: Em mostly zooms in by double-tapping which is only occasionally helpful :hilarious:

Isabelle is stunning, by the way :xflove:

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey

Thanks for your response! Sorry, I only just saw it since I haven't been on for a few days. :)