• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do About a Jealous Bird?

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
So, recently Emery has gotten fed up whenever I'm on the phone. I could put her in her cage while I'm on a call, but I really don't want to do that since, a) some of my personal calls, especially to my grandparents, are quite long, and b) I hate caging her unless absolutely necessary for safety reasons. She has started lunging and biting (not hard, thankfully), because she gets so mad when I'm on the phone with someone, regardless of the length of the call. This doesn't happen with anything else I'm doing that divides my attention, like watching a movie, working on artwork, etc. Any ideas on how to stop the biting and anger when on the phone? She doesn't do this when I have guests over either...She just thoroughly hates when I have a phone call.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
YES!!! same here! I have to watch him..or rather put him in his cage...he has bitten me when I'm on the phone and he is on my lap...it never fails...of course, now I know better...:)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Can you maybe find a 'favorite' new toy, or old toy that they could play with only only while you're on the phone?
Thereby diverting attention to the toy, and maybe interacting with the toy yourself during the call?

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Can you maybe find a 'favorite' new toy, or old toy that they could play with only only while you're on the phone?
Thereby diverting attention to the toy, and maybe interacting with the toy yourself during the call?
Good idea. Thank you! I will try that. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe give him treats when you are on the phone? Not constantly of course, but maybe he will associate the phone with good things.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have heard birds doing this before, its not unusual. I suggest when you are talking on the phone to do this in a room where you have no birds. Why irritate a bird when we can just talk in another room?

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This isn't helpful but it reminds me of my little (human ;)) nephew! When my mum babysits him and I call to chat he gets really jealous and starts being particularly naughty! She also opts for the distraction technique!

If not a favourite toy then a kind of puzzle? Or something to destroy? Mabel loves to destroy those rattan balls and both love to strip bark.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@ladyjane, I would, except every room that I have has things that Emery would be unsafe around if unsupervised. Maybe I can screen off an area for her so she has somewhere she can be without having to worry about her trying to chew paint off the walls. I don't know whether there's lead in the paint or not (It's an older building), so I always have to watch her otherwise because she will chew it if she can. A sectioned off area could work though.

I definitely don't want her getting angry or irritated, and I know from all of my research that avoidance of those situations is always best, so I definitely agree with you. That way I could keep her cage open and let her do her own thing safely until I'm off the phone. I could even give her some foraging to do while I'm in the other room.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have taught mine to accept when I'm one the phone.
I give them treats, regular attention, and play with them if they want to.
But the most important, after, I let them think they are the best girl's in the world. And they get time with me and a piece of a walnut.
So when I'm on the phone they are silent and just waiting for the call to end.
I was very lucky that I succeed with this, but it was so worth it. :)

The thing that made Eliy angry and worried was my normal voice. Because I always talk baby talk with them. :D

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The thing that made Eliy angry and worried was my normal voice. Because I always talk baby talk with them. :D
I think this plays a huge part too! My birds seem to get anxious when I’m talking in my normal voice and not saying my usual things to them in my birdie voice.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My birds get noisy if we are talking on the phone
If they are out of their cages and in the same room they get obnoxious. Best thing we do is put birds back in their cages
if out , for their saftey. And simply go into another room close the bird room door to talk on the phone. It's not being cruel to your bird. You need to have a life also. :xflove:

BibleMan

Moving in
Real Name
BIBLEMAN
Put the phone on speaker, have your grandparents speak to her(by name). I used to have a Quaker who enjoyed it. Scared her at first to hear a voice she knew, but didn't see the person! Funny. Then she enjoyed it. She would go to the phone when she wanted to talk awhile. Friends enjoyed it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Headphones/earbuds. Leave the phone on the table.

Or get your bird a phone. Perfectly natural reaction to seeing you heavily flirt (possibly worship? :) ) with this digital mate right in front of him. :lol:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Put the phone on speaker, have your grandparents speak to her(by name). I used to have a Quaker who enjoyed it. Scared her at first to hear a voice she knew, but didn't see the person! Funny. Then she enjoyed it. She would go to the phone when she wanted to talk awhile. Friends enjoyed it.
I have tried that. She likes it, but then goes right back to biting once I start talking to them again.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Headphones/earbuds. Leave the phone on the table.

Or get your bird a phone. Perfectly natural reaction to seeing you heavily flirt (possibly worship? :) ) with this digital mate right in front of him. :lol:
I will have to be extra careful from now on...or get her a phone of her own like you suggested. :laugh:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I had a female kakariki that loved to sit on my shoulder with her head to the back of the phone so she could hear both sides of the conversation. Buddy was the same, but I learned with her to turn it up so she didn't try squeezing in. I think using the speaker would be a good idea, so long as Emey doesn't try taking over the convo or destroying the phone to get the person out.
Your parrot is just like a 3yr old kid, they don't like being left out.

Last edited:

BibleMan

Moving in
Real Name
BIBLEMAN
The bird is jealous! That's it. Somebody's taking time away from her. You may have to talk in another room, and just give the bird something to do.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I have heard birds doing this before, its not unusual. I suggest when you are talking on the phone to do this in a room where you have no birds. Why irritate a bird when we can just talk in another room?
@Lady Jane I completely agree . Why make it complicated, just go in another room … simple as that !